Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Film finished early?

Hi,

I am new to using a Pentax K1000, along with film photography in general. I had just finished up using my roll of 24 exp Fujifilm color. However, I had noticed that the counter did not read 24 at the end, and instead read along the lines of 20-21 (Cannot recall what number exact at this time). Is it possible that the camera can skip an exposure or did I perhaps put the film in the incorrect way? I am sure it is a beginner's mistake, but any feedback or suggestions would be nicely appreciated.

07-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking you fed lots of leader and/or advanced/released the shutter a few times more than necessary when you loaded it and did the initial wind on to the take up sprocket, and all this before shutting the back on the camera. Does this sound possible?
07-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm thinking you fed lots of leader and/or advanced/released the shutter a few times more than necessary when you loaded it and did the initial wind on to the take up sprocket, and all this before shutting the back on the camera. Does this sound possible?
It definietly is. Stupid me loaded the cassette in upside down during the first attempt. After attempting to advance the film a couple of times while noticing that the mechanism was not working correctly, I readjusted it. It's very possible that some of the exposures were already out when this happened and I fed in some of the excess during the second try.
07-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've noticed getting "extra" exposures on some cameras -- it's all in how little film you expose when loading the camera.

07-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Back in my 35mm days, I would often get as many as 27 frames from a 24-exposure roll with my Minoltas as a result of careful loading.
07-29-2017, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
So it appears that this is just a matter of me loading the film correctly. Thank you very much for the timely responses. Though, I do not look forward to seeing some of my pictures as a couple of them are probably double exposed. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.
07-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

False Economy

With regard to "extra" exposures, frames at the beginning of the roll may be light damaged during loading;
your last may be obscured by the tape that attaches the end of the roll to the spool inside the film cassette.

Trying to squeeze extra frames in at the beginning may also result in improper loading.
And forcing that last frame at the end may jam up the camera or damage the film.

Finally any one of these frames might be your best shot. Why chance ruining it by being frugal?
My experienced advice is to shoot 24 frames only on 24-exposure rolls, 36 on 36 etc.

Chris

07-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Forum Member

trying to get those extra images from a roll of film is all part of the fun of shooting film! I've noticed when developing 120 b&w Ilford fp4+ there isn't much film to spare at either end on a 6x6 12 exposure camera.
07-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

Just think about baseball.
09-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

Bad used in installation..You lost film maybe?
09-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smitty920 Quote
It definietly is. Stupid me loaded the cassette in upside down during the first attempt. After attempting to advance the film a couple of times while noticing that the mechanism was not working correctly, I readjusted it. It's very possible that some of the exposures were already out when this happened and I fed in some of the excess during the second try.
Done rather worse than that more than once you do need to concentrate all the time.