Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

ME Super project

Hi! I've had some great Pentax lenses before but this is my first Pentax camera. It's a nice compact little thing and I've been trying to revive and spruce it up but ran into some trouble. I found an ME super at an estate sale with the usual gummed up gears and cleaned it up and the shutter fires and advances wonderfully now! And the electronics seem to work fine. The Asa plate is all stuck but I haven't really taken a crack at fixing that yet. However, I found a black version with fried electronics (I think - lights only show either over or underexposed in auto and manua modes but 125 and bulb work). My plan was to just transfer the top, bottom, and front plates to the working camera to give me working black MES, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that front piece off, even looking at the service manual, ramblings, mysteryOnion, and the other resources I could find out there. . Any ideas? Thanks!

07-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to find everything you need here:
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf
07-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
You should be able to find everything you need here:
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf
Thanks very much! Unfortunately I have looked this thing through and even in the explosion it appears the chrome/black faceplate does not clearly come apart from the big metal plate that is connected to everything back there. Would be much easier if I could just get the painted/chrome part off, but wan't sure if that was possible. Here's what I'm pointing at: . Which is really the difference between the chrome and black version. Just curious if anyone else has tried to do this and if the chrome part can come off solo or if I need to exchange the entire front plate (which I label "regular metal part"). This would be exponentially harder because the whole plate is intimately connected with the electronics which are, in the black camera, "busted." : / Thanks for the reply!
07-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Sorry my little illustration didn't go through:

Attached Images

07-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See there on the right side of the drawing that you posted where it says W6? The couple of screws pictured above that appear to come in from the back and hold the piece that you want in place. I don't see any other way around it but to tear the camera down that far. I had the same idea of converting one of my KX from chrome to black but I met the same difficulty and abandoned the idea as not worthwhile. It would be less hassle to just wait for a nice black example to show up for sale somewhere and buy it and then sell the chrome one.
07-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
See there on the right side of the drawing that you posted where it says W6? The couple of screws pictured above that appear to come in from the back and hold the piece that you want in place. I don't see any other way around it but to tear the camera down that far. I had the same idea of converting one of my KX from chrome to black but I met the same difficulty and abandoned the idea as not worthwhile. It would be less hassle to just wait for a nice black example to show up for sale somewhere and buy it and then sell the chrome one.
I hate to admit it but the more I pick at it the more I'm coming to the same conclusion :/ And unfortunately I've found that I'm much better at desoldering wires than soldering them! Thanks so much ctrout!