Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well...just won a KX

Decided that I wanted to jump into film a bit, and bid on and won a KX on eBay, along with a few lenses (basically duplicates of ones I already have).

Not really sure where to look to get started with this thing. It will come with a manual, but in terms of tips and tricks...any suggestions?

Also what about film (saw some nice images taken on Kadochrome on Flickr). I haven't checked lately, but I assume you have to go to photography shops to get rolls (I do work in the neighborhood of B&H though)...not even sure what I would get....and then there's where to get them developed.

What have I done????

07-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
. . . .What have I done????

started down a slippery slope perhaps
07-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Start with a cla from Eric.
07-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will probably need new light seals and mirror bumper at a minimum.

07-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did ask him about it...he said CLAs run about $100.... I know he's terrific though.

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Start with a cla from Eric.
07-31-2017, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Start with a couple of rolls of the cheapest name-brand colour print film you can find. Kodak Gold 200 is quite alright, and is a good balance between speed and quality of image - especially if you don't want to be stuck shooting in the realm of 1/1000 and f/22 whenever you are in bright sunlight.

I'm sure the nice folks at B&H will both sell them to you and recommend a good place (perhaps B&H itself) that can get them processed with all due speed.

I would put at least one roll through and get it processed ASAP before I sent the camera anywhere. This will let you know exactly what (if anything) might be out of kilter and enable you to let Eric know if there are specific issues that demand his attention.

It will also let you know just how serious you are about all this BEFORE you send the camera off for CLA. If after a roll or two you go YES, I MUST GO ON DOING THIS FOREVER, TAKE MY MONEY B&H!! then it's CLA time; if you go "Meh, that was okay for a bit of fun, but digital's more my thing," you know where to stop, cut your losses, and sell the gear on. Someone on the forums is bound to buy it from you sooner or later.
07-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Won? Woo hoo!! Oh wait...you mean 'bought'.

Well done though.

Save

07-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Decided that I wanted to jump into film a bit, and bid on and won a KX on eBay, along with a few lenses (basically duplicates of ones I already have).

Not really sure where to look to get started with this thing. It will come with a manual, but in terms of tips and tricks...any suggestions?

Also what about film (saw some nice images taken on Kadochrome on Flickr). I haven't checked lately, but I assume you have to go to photography shops to get rolls (I do work in the neighborhood of B&H though)...not even sure what I would get....and then there's where to get them developed.

What have I done????
Before you know it you'll be playing with coffee and orange juice.
07-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got a KX with some lenses I wanted, but I have to say I was very pleased with the camera.

It shoots just like a K1000, which makes sense... and it's a big old chunk of a thing, though not clumsy or awkward to use.

My useful tip is to remember to push the button on the bottom before trying to rewind the film. Someone I know may have forgotten to do that once or twice many years ago...

-Eric
07-31-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Good suggestions from pathdoc. One thing to add... Make some space on your shelf. You're going to add 5 more film bodies before the end of the year.
07-31-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Cursed GBA! I was about to pull the trigger on a KX and talked myself out of it as it was too much like my K2. So instead of just quitting while ahead, I purchased an MX. While it is purported to be in very good condition, I suspect a visit to Eric is in its future. He has done a CLA on several of my film bodies and he is a craftsman!!

Anyhow -- you'll love the KX -- these bodies feel well engineered and are solid performers. Like my K2 (and it really is close) it will perform and feel fabulous with a nice K55/1.8 or K28/3.5 lens attached!!

Oh -- and get ready to add Eric to your address book as this will not be your only Pentax film camera.

Last edited by ripper2860; 08-01-2017 at 06:53 AM.
08-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How is it trying to focus a lens like the 28mm/f3.5 which is nowhere near as bright as say a 50/1.7, for example?
08-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How is it trying to focus a lens like the 28mm/f3.5 which is nowhere near as bright as say a 50/1.7, for example?
The depth of field is larger prefocus frame shoot!
08-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The viewfinder is relatively large and bright, so no different than a DSLR, really. (MX supposedly has one of the biggest and brightest VF on a Pentac film camera.) A K, M, or A lens will remain wide open until you fire the shot and the meter compensates for the aperture setting on the lens so as long as you dial it in properly, you should have a properly exposed image. Of course you can use DOF preview to double-check focus depth prior to shooting. Nothing like GREEN BUTTON stop-down metering required.
08-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How does the KX know what aperture you've set the lens at? Is there a coupling within the mount that automatically detects it? Do you need to enter anything regarding the aperture outside of setting it?