Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

The Problem with Pentax LX Cameras

There are too many add-on's/upgrades still available. I recently got one that had an Eric CLA in late 2015. Then got a B grip from KEH, just got an Action Finder setup from Fleabay. Now have a 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.7, and a 105mm 2.8 to go along with it. Just realized I now have the state-of-the art Pentax pro kit ca. 1980. The good thing is that it's a lot cheaper than going the classic Leica route, which I was headed on until realizing that I preferred SLR viewfinders over classic viewfinders. This also saved me a few thousand $ from getting a similar Leica M-3 setup. Additionally, I have a backup camera in a decent K1000. This saves another thousand over a backup for the Leica.

My only issue is that different LX accessories keep popping up on Fleabay, and they are hard for me to resist. Think I'll stop upgrading when my LX total out-of-pocket costs (not counting lenses) reaches the grand sum of $500.

Anyone else having this type of equipment acquisition issues?

Church Key

08-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a serious mental illness - PentaxForums.com

But I'm quitting shopgoodwill cold turkey. Replacing that monkey with evilBay...
08-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still slowly collecting all the LX and MX focusing screens for the LX, the data backs, Motor drives................. Nope no problems here
08-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Church Key Quote
There are too many add-on's/upgrades still available. I recently got one that had an Eric CLA in late 2015. Then got a B grip from KEH, just got an Action Finder setup from Fleabay. Now have a 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.7, and a 105mm 2.8 to go along with it. Just realized I now have the state-of-the art Pentax pro kit ca. 1980. The good thing is that it's a lot cheaper than going the classic Leica route, which I was headed on until realizing that I preferred SLR viewfinders over classic viewfinders. This also saved me a few thousand $ from getting a similar Leica M-3 setup. Additionally, I have a backup camera in a decent K1000. This saves another thousand over a backup for the Leica.

My only issue is that different LX accessories keep popping up on Fleabay, and they are hard for me to resist. Think I'll stop upgrading when my LX total out-of-pocket costs (not counting lenses) reaches the grand sum of $500.

Church Key
I have that problem with lenses.

08-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Only $500? I was planning on getting an action viewfinder, but that alone was going to set me back 120 euros, so I gave up. So I guess I have that problem, but it's moderated by my desire to get other stuff first
08-18-2017, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You are still in denial - come back to us when you have spent $1,000 and still have a few more bits and pieces that you 'need'

You are right though, the LX is a very nice camera.
08-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now have a 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.7, and a 105mm 2.8 to go along with it.
You got it all wrong... Your LX desserves a 28mm f2, a 50mm f1.2 and a 85mm f1.8...

08-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feel so much better now to know I'm not the only one with LX GAS. I lusted for one when they came out, but way beyond my means at the time. So sometime in the past calendar year, I decided to rectify that via fleebay. Now two bodies, two winders, and a really big S* eating grin
08-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used both Pentax and Leica since the 1960s, and when my retirement budget allows collect both (among others). Yes, the Leica M series are expensive, but the Leica SLRs and lenses are fairly reasonable. (Although the R lenses are gaining as the Leica SL can use them.)
The original Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL (and SL2) are precision mechanical marvels, and their lenses, though conservative, make wonderful images. In 1969 I traded off my Pentax and Canon SLRs for a Leicaflex SL, and still love it. I added Pentax MX as a carry-around camera when it came out, and an LX when it was new. The LX has great "feel" and meter, but in manual mode I prefer the meter readout of the MX. But when I trip the shutter of either I'm ready to get a Leicaflex out again. (Don't try one, it may change your thinking on the LX...)
08-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
TomB - I briefly recently looked at Leica early SLR's, but could never figure out their progression. The 2 cam, 3 cam etc., business confused me more than I ever cared to research. I do admit Leica's are mechanical wonders and I tinkered with the idea of getting a Leicaflex, but decided to go to Pentax for playing with film stuff; basically on the cheap. In the dim distant past I used Nikons, but they are long gone and their finders were somewhat of a PIA from a battery standpoint. The Pentax line progression is simple to me.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

Church Key
08-18-2017, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have an LX tripod Spacer? No? Then you have not yet experienced the mania.
08-18-2017, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do you have an LX tripod Spacer? No? Then you have not yet experienced the mania.
And you need perhaps THREE bodies! Gotta have the winders, if possible with the remote release cable. Anyone got an extra one? An original ever ready case is nice for "formal" occasions, its handsome in black REAL leather and has a discreet little Pentax logo. Don't forget the RF viewfinder for close to the ground work. (Psst! the RF viewfinder from the OM series will also fit.) Look for the AF400T flash. Its powerful, TTL and its flash head will tilt and swivel. Will scorch paint at ten feet. The auxiliary battery pack is good for long sessions. If you're lucky you might score the WA and Tele adapters for the flash head. The LX, AF400T and the battery pack will give you that incredible 1980s pro photographer look, and its combined weight will endear you to your chiropractor! And the list goes on.... There's a ring light with TTL; not too expensive. And of course the 50mm f 1.2 will intimidate the Canikoneers, no small thing in itself.
08-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Three bodies? Hehehehe try four I am now concerned about my interest in the 'Titanium' version LOL

Do I sell all my LX bodies for one Titanium? Or do I just add another ..... hmmmmm
08-18-2017, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Three bodies? Hehehehe try four I am now concerned about my interest in the 'Titanium' version LOL

Do I sell all my LX bodies for one Titanium? Or do I just add another ..... hmmmmm
I would love to get the titanium version!

Except I wonder if all the finders were made available in titanium too? At the very least I would like the FA-2 in matching titanium!

08-19-2017, 01:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
You got it all wrong... Your LX desserves a 28mm f2, a 50mm f1.2 and a 85mm f1.8...
This...

You've got a way to go yet