Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2017, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I prefer the LX looks with the hot-shoe pentaprism.

. . .

Incidentally, how did both Canon and Nikon manage to end up with their rival cameras both designated as "F"s? - although there was never a Nikon F1.
Fortunately Pentax released the LX with the most viewfinders ever provided for a camera. They have a range of magnifications and most of them even have built-in diopter adjustments.

I find the FA-2 the most aesthetically pleasing viewfinder. Since I already memorized the limited number of aperture click stops, I am not so dependent on the aperture window. These days, the plain prisms also seems to be more desirable.

Unlike the other models, the LX continous to have its incomparable meter with the plain prism while the others loose both aperture window and meter. In fact, the LX is the only one that is fully functional without a viewfinder.

After Canon's disastrous first SLR - the Canonflex, they rebooted with the F-1 and kept rebooting with the New F-1. In between there was even a F-1N! I suppose it's comical now and is a common source of confusion when discussing their cameras on forums.

Well in spite of the perceptions against the LX, you chose the correct one back when so it would be an interesting perspective when you write the review. The prices of the three kings were all very close. At least as advertised in magazines here in the US.

09-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several other models shown have their exposure meter built into the body and it will work with any viewfinder attached.
I can't imagine a circumstance when you wouldn't want to use some sort of viewfinder with your professional SLR system.

Chris
09-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I can't imagine a circumstance when you wouldn't want to use some sort of viewfinder with your professional SLR system.
It is not uncommon to see people say that in a pinch - when they don't have their alternate viewfinder available, they would simply remove the VF to take a low level or overhead shoot.
09-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Maybe not, but a folding hood type waist level finder is little more than having no viewfinder, being simply a screen around the ground glass.

09-17-2017, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

>> LesDMess : A fascinating set of pictures - from your own collection? Looking from the top the LX does not look much smaller than the Nikons or the Minolta.

I had not heard of the Minolta XK, bit before my time, and it looks very nice indeed. I found this :
The Minolta XK SLR Camera - Index Page
... and I see it offered a pistol grip for the motor drive :
Minolta XM Motor by Hervé Prigent - Front View

... just like the LX. Here are two pictures of my LX with MD and grip, all of which is near mint condition, although I've well used it - the camera that is. I have never justified having the MD, and the pistol grip seems to have been meant for press photographers to take pictures over the head of a crowd. In Geoffrey Crawley's book on the LX he suggests it might be used as a club! The MD does lend more "presence" to the LX.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-17-2017, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

>> LesDMess : A fascinating set of pictures - from your own collection? Looking from the top the LX does not look much smaller than the Nikons or the Minolta.

Here are two pictures of my LX with MD and grip, all of which is near mint condition, although I've well used it - the camera that is.
I don't have those LX accessories!

In my immersion into cameras, I also found the Minolta XK - offered with or without a motor drive. The motor drive did not come until the silicon cel finder equipped AE-S in 1976. I am led to believe that Minolta did not offer the motor drive with it as the CDS cel was not responsive enough in aperture priority mode.

The XK had many advances for the time and like the LX was Minolta's only interchangeable VF 35mm camera.

I figure what's the point in having an interchangeable VF camera if I don't have any of them . . .

Yes, these pics are cameras that I own and use - still!
09-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not, but a folding hood type waist level finder is little more than having no viewfinder, being simply a screen around the ground glass.
Indeed!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-ff-1-waist-level-finder.html?reviewsort=rec&reviewasc=0#reviewlisthttp://

Chris

09-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #38
Pentaxian

For the LX that is exactly all that it is + the flip-up magnifier.

Not so with it's peers . . .

The Minolta XK is the extreme case because the finder contains all the metering and you also need it just so you can even see the shutter speed dial.
The Nikon F3 needs a magnifier for the shutter indicator LCD.
I don't have the Canon New F-1 but it too is dependent for it's viewfinder to show modes and shutter information.
I also don't have the WL for the Nikon F2 but it needs a metering VF even though the battery is in the body.

By researching and acquiring all these others, I have gained quite an admiration of just what Pentax accomplished in making the LX.

BTW, keep in mind that when in aperture priority mode, all the others need a viewfinder blind if your eye is not on it. Otherwise light can come in and alter the reading. Note there are no viewfinder blinds on these waistlevel viewfinders.

Yup, the LX is really the only one that is fully functional even without a viewfinder!

One last thing with regards to interchangeable viewfinders, changing them on the LX is far easier then all these others. Of course even though I have all but one of the VFs, I don't change them often. But it sure is a pleasure when you do!

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-19-2017 at 07:06 PM.
09-19-2017, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not quoting any single post, but I've grown fond of the FA-2 viewfinder I recently acquired here and I like the classic prism cosmetics. Added to the FA-1 and FB-1/FC-1/FD-1 combo I have all the toys I need to do what I want with my LX. Since my cataract surgery I don't need the additional diopter range of the FA-1W, and I can use an Asahiflex when I'm jonesing to look down with glasses on (which is actually strangely convenient). Lately my K2's, KXes and MX have been ignored and my Nikons and Contaxes feel like PayPal bait.
11-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My LX viewfinder collection continues to grow. Just got an FE-1 Waist Level Magnifier from fleaybay. Am beginning to run out of LX accessories to get. Good thing I did not decide to collect Leica F stuff. Life is good. Will take a bunch of pics on Tuesday at a Cowboy Action Shoot. Will post a few in a couple of weeks.

Church Key
11-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Church Key Quote
My LX viewfinder collection continues to grow. Just got an FE-1 Waist Level Magnifier from fleaybay. Am beginning to run out of LX accessories to get. Good thing I did not decide to collect Leica F stuff. Life is good. Will take a bunch of pics on Tuesday at a Cowboy Action Shoot. Will post a few in a couple of weeks.

Church Key
Do you have the remote trigger and timers as well?
11-19-2017, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No , somewhere along the line I recently stumbled across a Mamiya RB67 Professional with a 127mm lens and have decided to play with it for a bit. Learning how to operate it has been a challenge, as all the Youtubes and IB's are for the RB67 Pro S; this is the first (Ca. 1970) model and several changes occurred in 1974 with the Pro S. This critter will keep me from hunting for LX stuff for a while. I'll probably only use it for landscapes. First challenge is to replace the light seals, which is a DIY challenge. Don't know of an Eric Henderson for the RB's.

Church Key