Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-M and f1.2 Lenses Question

Hello,

I was reading the manual of my MZ-M and I saw there is a line that the exposure will be off with SMC Pentax 50/1.2. Is this specific to this lens or is a problem with all 1.2 lenses? I use a Porst 55 1.2.

Sincerely

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

08-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
....and what do you see with the Porst ? is it 1 stop overexposed ?
08-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be that the aperture linkage lever "starts" at F1.4 since there were no F1.2 lenses for a while?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is discussed here:

Pentax Lens Modifications for Matrix Metering - Mark Roberts Photography

"Although the above data table clearly shows values that correspond to an f/1.2 aperture, the system in the camera body requires at least one non-conducting terminal to detect the presence of the aperture detection system. Therefore the 50mm f/1.2 lens cannot be used with multi-segment metering."

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 02:54 PM ----------

But the page also specifies that certain Pentax film cameras do not use the contacts, but expect the FA-series digital data contact to detect the required information. I think the 1.2 was called out in particular here because it was still a current lens in the lineup when the MZ-M came out, probably the only A-series lens still sold new?

08-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
....and what do you see with the Porst ? is it 1 stop overexposed ?
My MZ-M just came back from a CLA and metal gear upgrade. Haven't tested it yet. But I doubt I can actually see this because I only use color negative films.

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 08:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
This is discussed here:

Pentax Lens Modifications for Matrix Metering - Mark Roberts Photography

"Although the above data table clearly shows values that correspond to an f/1.2 aperture, the system in the camera body requires at least one non-conducting terminal to detect the presence of the aperture detection system. Therefore the 50mm f/1.2 lens cannot be used with multi-segment metering."

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 02:54 PM ----------

But the page also specifies that certain Pentax film cameras do not use the contacts, but expect the FA-series digital data contact to detect the required information. I think the 1.2 was called out in particular here because it was still a current lens in the lineup when the MZ-M came out, probably the only A-series lens still sold new?
I was confused by both the manual and this page (English is not my first language) and I might need some help.

Just to make sure, my understanding is that the lens the manual is talking about is the A50/1.2, and it will overexpose in Av mode.

My Posrt came with a non conductive mount (the mount is covered with black paint), and I have taped the area where the FA contacts are with a metallic conductive tape to make my K-S2 work with it. Is this the equivalent of putting an A50/1.2 out of A mode?

Sincerely