Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super Takumars on Spotmatic F

I'm trying to get an understanding of the differences of the various spotmatics but it is confusing. I understand the the Fs allow for open aperture metering as long as you use a Super Multicoated Takumar. What happens/how do you use it if you put a Super Tak on the F?

Thanks

08-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I'm trying to get an understanding of the differences of the various spotmatics but it is confusing. I understand the the Fs allow for open aperture metering as long as you use a Super Multicoated Takumar. What happens/how do you use it if you put a Super Tak on the F?

Thanks
I would assume you have to use stop-down metering, like adapting it to the K-mount.
08-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I would assume you have to use stop-down metering, like adapting it to the K-mount.
This ^. It works like a Super Takumar on a Spotmatic.
08-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, you have to flip the A/M switch on the lens then to meter?

08-23-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Or just leave it in manual if the light permits.
08-23-2017, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can leave the lens on "A". On the left side of the camera mount is a black switch — you can see it in the photo below. Sliding it up stops down the lens, and you then adjust your aperture and shutter to get the needle centered.

Edit: There's a PDF of the manual here: http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_spotmatic_f.pdf Stop-down metering is described on pages 20 & 21.

Last edited by g026r; 08-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.
08-23-2017, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
You can leave the lens on "A". On the left side of the camera mount is a black switch — you can see if in the photo below. Sliding it up stops down the lens, and you then adjust your aperture and shutter to get the needle centered.

Edit: There's a PDF of the manual here: http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_spotmatic_f.pdf Stop-down metering is described on pages 20 & 21.
Ohh, cool. Didn't know they carried the stop-down switch to the F.

08-24-2017, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Same here. So you can stop down in camera. Good to know! Thanks
09-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Ohh, cool. Didn't know they carried the stop-down switch to the F.

Unlike the Spotmatic SP, on the Spotmatic F, that switch ONLY stops the lens down. The meter is on all the time. There is no way to turn the meter off. For that reason, a lens or body cap is imperative when the camera is not in use. Without it, the battery will almost surely be dead the next time you wish to use the camera.
09-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Unlike the Spotmatic SP, on the Spotmatic F, that switch ONLY stops the lens down. The meter is on all the time. There is no way to turn the meter off. For that reason, a lens or body cap is imperative when the camera is not in use. Without it, the battery will almost surely be dead the next time you wish to use the camera.
Yeah, the Spotmatic F and K1000 are annoyingly similar in that regard.
09-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once had a Super Takumar 55/1.8 lens with "ES" full-aperture coupling mechanism, same as on later SMC Takumars.
It appeared to be factory original, not modified or assembled from spare parts. Perhaps it was a transitional model?

Chris
09-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I once had a Super Takumar 55/1.8 lens with "ES" full-aperture coupling mechanism, same as on later SMC Takumars.
It appeared to be factory original, not modified or assembled from spare parts. Perhaps it was a transitional model?

Chris
There are a few of the later Super Takumars that have the open-aperture couplings for use on the Spotmatic F, ES and ES II. Technically the SMC designation refers to the improved, multi-layer lens coating. It just so happened that the open-aperture metering and the SMC coatings came to market around the same time.

I suspect that the SMC coatings were not quite ready for prime time, when the SP-F was introduced. Rather than wait for the new coatings, Pentax opted to add the coupling to the ST lenses, so they would have something to put on the SP-F. Remember, at the time, Pentax was being widely criticized for sticking with stop-down metering, while most other camera makers had come up with some form of open-aperture metering.