Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

my MZ5N died

Finally got the dreaded dead mirror on my MZ5N this past weekend, and it was the only camera I had with me. On the bright side I do have a MZ7 and mostly shoot medium and large format film and most of them lack mirrors. Or in the case of some, lack lenses too. For now the MZ5N will rest on the shelf, perhaps until the 7 also suffers and then get another one or even try to fix them. I also have a K1000 however I find it hard to focus with no diopter adjustment.

I can't feel too sorry for myself as still have the Hasselblad, will have to have it make do.

08-23-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That's a shame, but I think this will happen to all MZ series cameras (except possibly the MZ-S) eventually.

I recommend the older AF cameras, such as the SFXn. They're heavier and much noisier but far more reliable.
08-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's a shame, but I think this will happen to all MZ series cameras (except possibly the MZ-S) eventually.

I recommend the older AF cameras, such as the SFXn. They're heavier and much noisier but far more reliable.
I used to have one and my wife still has hers. I also have about a dozen batteries for the MZ series.

Thanks
08-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Garry's Camera Repair

$65 plus shipping. ($20 flat rate to Canada)

08-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Garry's Camera Repair

$65 plus shipping. ($20 flat rate to Canada)
Thanks
08-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Garry's Camera Repair

If the problem is as you describe I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Unless this repairer
has come up with a fix for the cracked motor gear this will be time, effort and money wasted.

Chris
08-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If the problem is as you describe I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Unless this repairer
has come up with a fix for the cracked motor gear this will be time, effort and money wasted.

Chris
From the Repair List. He repairs ZX-M, ZX-10/30/50, ZX-7 & 5n

QuoteQuote:
Work Performed

Repair of original problem or defect, Replacement of sequence motor, Replacement of battery door, Cleaning of shutter and release magnets, Cleaning of flash sync contacts, Lubrication and adjustment of shutter mechanism, Shutter run-time and speed adjustment, Lubrication of winding mechanism, Light meter calibration, Automatic exposure adjustment, Cleaning of viewfinder and prism, Thorough external/internal cleaning.
QuoteQuote:
Problem

Produces double exposures and overlaps, Will not advance film, Makes squeaking noises, Shutter will not release, Built-in flash wouldn't pop-up, Broken battery door.

08-24-2017, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replacement part consisting of motor with metal gear is no longer available from Pentax.
Any motor used in repair would most likely be used, scavenged from a parts donor body.
It too might have plastic gear. I'd clarify this with repairer before sending it in for service.

Chris
08-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Replacement gears can be bought (I have four brass ones bought from a Polish company) but when I attempted the repair myself I couldn't put the camera together again, and getting the old gear off the motor and the new one on was extremely difficult anyway.

Some of the steps available online for carrying out this repair are wrong, and instructions for putting the camera back together are incomplete. I should have a go myself but would need to get some better tools and put aside at least an entire day to perform the repair and document it properly.

For now I have a worked MZ-3 and another 5N as well as some cheaper bodies, so no hurry from me - I'd rather spend the time on getting through my developing and scanning backlogs.
08-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For the price of a repair one could likely find a PZ-1 instead...
08-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Replacement gears can be bought (I have four brass ones bought from a Polish company) but when I attempted the repair myself I couldn't put the camera together again, and getting the old gear off the motor and the new one on was extremely difficult anyway.

Some of the steps available online for carrying out this repair are wrong, and instructions for putting the camera back together are incomplete. I should have a go myself but would need to get some better tools and put aside at least an entire day to perform the repair and document it properly.

For now I have a worked MZ-3 and another 5N as well as some cheaper bodies, so no hurry from me - I'd rather spend the time on getting through my developing and scanning backlogs.
I always take pictures of what I disassemble (Cellphone, point-and-shoot), it saved my bottom more than once.