Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 03:02 AM   #1

Pentax MX film advance, not on spool?

Hi

I'm new to film photography and have started using a Pentax MX, which has been fully serviced.

The first film I ran through the camera came out blank. I'm 99% sure that I was being too gentle with it and hadn't loaded the film onto the spool properly and it hadn't wound on.

Someone more familiar with film cameras loaded the 2nd film for me and they were confident it was on the spool properly. However, I know they didn't use the rewind knob to take up the slack in the film. I'm now half way through the film and noticed that the rewind knob was only turning a couple of mm when I advanced the film. I hadn't even though to check this as I shot the first 15 shots!

I suspect again that the film may not have been loaded properly and I have now tensioned the film with the rewind knob and this now turns completely when I advance the film. My questions are;

- Am I right in assuming it's very unlikely the film wasn't loaded properly as the rewind knob was only moving a couple of mm when I advanced the film?
- Having tensioned the film I think I'm now properly on the spool and the film is advancing. The counter is now already showing 15 shots taken. However, assuming I still now have 34+ exposures to shoot, can I continue to shoot even when the counter hits 36...i.e. until the film is actually used up? or will this damage the exposure counter mechanism?
- The MX has lots of white ribs to load the leader into. I just want to check, should I be loading the leader into the left side or right side of the spool? Are there any other MX film loading techniques I should be aware of?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.

Russell

08-23-2017, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RustyT Quote
- Am I right in assuming it's very unlikely the film wasn't loaded properly as the rewind knob was only moving a couple of mm when I advanced the film?
- Having tensioned the film I think I'm now properly on the spool and the film is advancing. The counter is now already showing 15 shots taken. However, assuming I still now have 34+ exposures to shoot, can I continue to shoot even when the counter hits 36...i.e. until the film is actually used up? or will this damage the exposure counter mechanism?
- The MX has lots of white ribs to load the leader into. I just want to check, should I be loading the leader into the left side or right side of the spool? Are there any other MX film loading techniques I should be aware of?
Usually either the film is grabbed by the "magic needles" or it is not. But I guess it is possible the teeth on the second spool were not engaged and now they are...whether you are getting a clean roll on the takeup spool is another matter ? There will be no problem continuing to take pictures past the "36" mark as far as the camera is concerned, but take care if it starts to become difficult to wind on due to what I said above.

It shouldnt matter which which side of the ribs/needles you use, but probably best on the right so that the film immediately gets bent back on itself when you advance. When loading you should take up slack so that the teeth engage too then wind on one or two frames with the back open so you can check it is taking up correctly...then close the back. I usually take another frame with the back closed before I am ready to photograph.

Have a look here

....and here for the manual...password is Pentax http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/mfmanuals.htm

Last edited by pschlute; 08-23-2017 at 05:08 AM.
08-23-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Peter, that's all very useful. I guess I'll just have to mourn the loss of those first 15 photos I thought I'de taken
08-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I'll just have to mourn the loss of those first 15 photos I thought I'de taken
I would be surprised if the film hadn't loaded properly in the first place. If the needles didn't grab the film when you first loaded it they are unlikely to do so again. Probably you just had a lot of slack in the canister.

You can always rewind the film halfway through if you are concerned. Press the release button on the bottom of the camera and rewind with the camera to your ear so you can hear when the leader is free from the needles. Open the back and load it again. Then with the lens cap on and 1/1000s/f22 and in a dark room perform 15 or however many shutter activations you need.

08-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Peter.

Are you saying then that it may well have been loaded and advancing OK and that it may have just been the lack of tension that was stopping the rewind lever from turning?. From memory I had to turn the lever 3-4 full revolutions before there was any tension.

Fingers crossed I'll no longer be able to advance the film when the counter hits 36!

Russell
08-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you saying then that it may well have been loaded and advancing OK and that it may have just been the lack of tension that was stopping the rewind lever from turning?
Yes I think that is likely.

Fingers crossed I'll no longer be able to advance the film when the counter hits 36!
If you loaded the camera without triggering the shutter a few times with the back still open, I will bet you will get maybe 3 more shots after the counter hits 36
08-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi

I'm new to film photography and have started using a Pentax MX, which has been fully serviced.

The first film I ran through the camera came out blank. I'm 99% sure that I was being too gentle with it and hadn't loaded the film onto the spool properly and it hadn't wound on.

Someone more familiar with film cameras loaded the 2nd film for me and they were confident it was on the spool properly. However, I know they didn't use the rewind knob to take up the slack in the film. I'm now half way through the film and noticed that the rewind knob was only turning a couple of mm when I advanced the film. I hadn't even though to check this as I shot the first 15 shots!

I suspect again that the film may not have been loaded properly and I have now tensioned the film with the rewind knob and this now turns completely when I advance the film. My questions are;

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.

Russell
The only safe way is before closing door pin the film to sprocket shaft tooth with thumb and turn rewind knob until the film clinches, then wind film one sprocket tooth while holding rewind knob with lose friction feeling it turn, slam door and wind on watching rewind knob turn...
You always need to watch the rewind knob turn till frame1!
Some film types will counter friction in rewind system and spring back out in cassette again!

08-30-2017, 03:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes I think that is likely.

If you loaded the camera without triggering the shutter a few times with the back still open, I will bet you will get maybe 3 more shots after the counter hits 36
Thank you pschlute & xmas.

The good news is that the film was fine and I got the full 36 exposures. I've also loaded a new film and taken a few frames and I'm confident that to is loaded correctly.
08-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you pschlute & xmas.

The good news is that the film was fine and I got the full 36 exposures. I've also loaded a new film and taken a few frames and I'm confident that to is loaded correctly.
It is best to be cautious!