Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Yeah, the actual price is $1595 so that rules out the decimal point typo thing.
My thought is someone is sloppy or whoever put the web page together didn't set the price and can't read someone's handwriting etc., and what was meant to be 159.50 ends up being 1595.

Whatever the situation, it isn't worth much effort wondering the whys. All the prices mentioned are out of line for what they are selling. Clueless or looking for a rube? Who knows.

08-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate it when the hipsters bid up prices!
08-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also what does " Images do not reflect the state of the product" in the item description mean?

Phil.
08-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

At least their prices on films are good. Or should say the prices on the film's I but there are very good.

08-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
At least their prices on films are good. Or should say the prices on the film's I but there are very good.
I got not quarrel with the store, their film and processing is reasonably priced, and they provide good service (judging by the row of drawers chock full of processed orders, a lot of film goes through there).

Their used gear is mostly overpriced 50 > 100% (or in this case, 1000 %), with no assurance given as to actual condition. I'm guessing it passes through with a perfunctory inspection, and no cla or test film, I could be wrong about that, but usually it is stated up front.

I likely won't be buying any there.
08-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

According to the site, all used equipment must be purchased at the store. No online sales on these, it seems. I guess one can check the condition when they are at the store to purchase an over-priced used piece of equipment advertised online with a picture that does not reflect the actual equipment. Why even bother to list the used gear on the website?
08-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
According to the site, all used equipment must be purchased at the store. No online sales on these, it seems. I guess one can check the condition when they are at the store to purchase an over-priced used piece of equipment advertised online with a picture that does not reflect the actual equipment. Why even bother to list the used gear on the website?
There was a camera store in Syracuse that closed a few years ago called MQ Camera. On their website they had a "Current Specials" page. It consisted of three items, a Nikon S3 ($3,495) that had been in the store for 14 years at the time the store closed, a Sekonic Flash Master L358 being sold as a demo ($185), and a Mamiya DM28 w/80mm lens, also being sold as a demo, ($11,581). These were all listed for at least 2 years...the site simply never changed for years...

08-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I got not quarrel with the store, their film and processing is reasonably priced, and they provide good service (judging by the row of drawers chock full of processed orders, a lot of film goes through there).

Their used gear is mostly overpriced 50 > 100% (or in this case, 1000 %), with no assurance given as to actual condition. I'm guessing it passes through with a perfunctory inspection, and no cla or test film, I could be wrong about that, but usually it is stated up front.

I likely won't be buying any there.
Since it sounds like you are able to stop by some, any feel for whether the used equipment sells? Would actually be interesting if some of the stuff sold - at some level could almost see someone who wasn't following prices think a couple hundred was a fair price for a "good" old SLR. The K1000 at that price is still nuts though.
08-28-2017, 02:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Since it sounds like you are able to stop by some, any feel for whether the used equipment sells? Would actually be interesting if some of the stuff sold - at some level could almost see someone who wasn't following prices think a couple hundred was a fair price for a "good" old SLR. The K1000 at that price is still nuts though.
Yeah I dunno. The listings on their web site seem to change, I don't check very often though. I haven't walked around the store much, so I don't know what they have on display for used film gear.