Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Repairing SF-1/SFX Body

Hey I am getting a cheap SF-1 locally, but the one issue with it is that it has a crack on the battery housing. If i ordered a for-parts-only SF-1 from eBay would it be possible at all to fix up the SF-1 I'm getting?

Here's a pic of the crack:

08-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #2

OOH!

What you've got there is the AA Battery Grip for the SF-series. These are pretty rare, as the vast majority of SF-series cameras come with a grip that's made to take the 2CR5 lithium battery (the AA Battery Grip seems only to have been offered as an accessory, and never with the camera). It's a nice find, crack or no.

I would try to patch that crack somehow (though I don't know how to do it). If you didn't mind paying $5-$10 for the lithium battery (they last quite a while,actually) go ahead and buy the parts camera.

Or you could get lucky again and find another AA grip!

To get the grip off you just unscrew it using a coin, just like you would an older film body. The whole grip comes right off.

That's a nice camera, by the way. My dad has an SF-1N and I love it!
08-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I was thinking of just getting something to patch it up, to prevent any further cracking, but not sure what i could use.

Yeah it looks nice otherwise, and i believe at a steal price of $50CAD with the lens included!
08-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Damn Brit

You could probably use super glue or epoxy. Take it off the camera first and bind it until the glue has set.

08-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

DUCT TAPE!!!
08-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #6

Duct tape would work, but it would make a sticky residue of the grip when you took it off (and eventually on the tape itself it it gets old enough), and it would look tacky, and.... that's why I use scotch tape to hold my K1000 together! (I lost the screws that hold its bottom plate on.) But for many things duct tape is the way to go.

I agree with the Brit. Try some sort of glue first.
08-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barrist Quote
Hey I am getting a cheap SF-1 locally, but the one issue with it is that it has a crack on the battery housing. If i ordered a for-parts-only SF-1 from eBay would it be possible at all to fix up the SF-1 I'm getting?

Here's a pic of the crack:
I have the camera and 5 spare unused batt. Why bother fixing that? Email me at danielchtong At yahoo Dot com for a deal that you cannot refuse

Daniel