Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Spotmatic F stop down behavior

Hi! I recently acquired a Spotmatic F off of the 'bay and encountered what I think is odd behavior based on what I can find here and elsewhere online. When using an aperature indexed lens like the smc 50 1.4, prior to wind-on and after shutter release, the DOFP lever (on the body; the lens switch is set to auto) behaves as usual by stopping the aperature down in the up position and opening back up in the down position. With the lens off I can see the bumper that triggers the aperature pin behaving in the same manner. However, when I advance the film the lens stops down and stays stopped down regardless of the DOFP switch position. With the lens off, I can see the bumper press forward while the film advance lever goes through its throw. This is sort of a bummer cause otherwise it seems to work great and be in beautiful shape, seals aren't even that bad. I can use it by metering open prior to film advance but that's just patching the problem. Any ideas? Thanks so much folks, always appreciate the friendly and knowledgeable people here at PF!

09-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the meter switch to the side of the lens mount stuck in the up position?
09-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Is the meter switch to the side of the lens mount stuck in the up position?
No, it switches up and down but stays stopped down either way. But only after advancing the film.
09-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have nothing else useful to add, other than that is definitely abnormal Spotmatic F behavior.

---------- Post added 09-23-17 at 03:41 PM ----------

Maybe take the bottom plate off and see if anything seems wrong?

09-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well step one was confirming this is weird. Thanks! Maybe late I'll pop off the bottom plate or just boil it in a pot of naphtha and cross my fingers like usual
09-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well second best method worked: just fired the shutter a few hundred times and right as rain. Thanks Steve!