Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

newbie...Please help finding lens for k1000 slr!

Hello everyone!

its my first post.! anyway,

I just got my first SLR and its k 1000! so excited

I have researched couple of websites and I would like to know more about K mount lens,

first, any lens that says K mount type will work on K1000?

second, I know SMC pentax is what people recommended, but I would like to know if there is other brand choices (I saw someone mentioned about Vivitar or samyang or sears?) I am particularity looking for 35mm (it is the types of lens I always used on my DSLR)

third, If I buy adapter for M mount than I would be able to mount on my K1000?

thank you so much.. sorry for the bad English

cheers!

09-29-2017, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Any K-mount lens will work, but some newer k-mount lenses do not have an aperture ring. You will want to avoid those - unless you buy a DSLR.
Older screw mount lenses (M42) can be fitted to a k-mount camera provided you purchase the correct adapter.

Kind regards,
Mark Jerling
(New Zealand)
09-29-2017, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Any K mount lens will work, that's correct, as long as it has an aperture ring and isn't a modern DA type.

For compatible third party lenses, check our database:

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Just keep in mind that many of these lenses also exist in other mounts, so make sure you get the Pentax version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2017, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by astronomer08 Quote
third, If I buy adapter for M mount than I would be able to mount on my K1000?
No, due to the different physical design you cannot use M mount lenses on a Pentax K1000 (or anything else with the K mount).

You can use various third-party lenses on your K1000 as long as they are K-mount , or M42 screw-mount with the appropriate adapter, but old manual Pentax lenses are cheap enough that I'm not sure there is much point.

If you really want a 35mm a good option is the Pentax-M 35mm f2. They're a little expensive but excellent quality.

If you would be happy with 50mm the Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 are both fantastic, easy to find and affordable.

09-30-2017, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I am particularity looking for 35mm (it is the types of lens I always used on my DSLR)

!
If your DSLR is ACPS, rather than full frame (ie if Pentax, it is not the K1), you are probably looking for a 50mm lens to match your current 35mm setup

Loads out there, start with a traditional Pentax, but you will find Takamur, Zeiss (with M42 adapter) and plenty others

Enjoy :-)
09-30-2017, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If you go up to " Lenses " and click you go to this:

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

" Welcome to the Pentax Lens Review Database|Pentax Lens Series Overview
If you are looking for Pentax lens reviews or technical specifications, you've come to the right place! This is a comprehensive database of user reviews of Pentax interchangeable SLR lenses, complete with information on every Pentax lens ever produced from K-mount (digital and film) to mirrorless to medium format. See also our in-depth lens reviews. ".

it explains what lenses will work and the details of the lenses.

if you go up to " Cameras " and click you can find similar info on Pentax cameras both DSLR and SLR

"Welcome to the Pentax Camera Review Database

Our comprehensive Pentax camera database lets you browse reviews and specifications of Pentax DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, compacts, and film bodies. You can of course add your own reviews of cameras that you own. Also, don't forget about our in-depth staff Pentax camera reviews. "

here is info on the K 1000

Pentax K1000 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

have fun researching

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-30-2017 at 03:33 AM.
09-30-2017, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Older screw mount lenses (M42) can be fitted to a k-mount camera provided you purchase the correct adapter.
You really do not want to bother with those screw-mount lenses! Such adaptors are only to be recommended if you already have a set of M42 screw thread lenses that you don't want to throw away.

There are plenty of older Pentax branded K-mount lenses out there (unless you need to be really cheap - other clone brands that old are almost free). A nice 50mm F1.7 Pentax-M one went for £17 on ebay yesterday - I wish I'd bid. Someone said about "M" mount. This is confusing - there are the really old (pre-1975) M42 screw thread mount lenses and there are Pentax lenses designed for the M-series cameras (1976-1985) which have K mounts. There are also K-mount lenses designed for the A-series cameras from about 1985. There are also K-mount lenses designed for the original K-series cameras (from 1975, including your K1000) which tend to be called "Takumar" and are physically slightly bigger than the M-Series. There is no point in using anything newer as they have electrical contacts that your K1000 will not use, although they wont damage anything.

So your best choice is M-series, A-Series or Takumar, all K-mount. And I advise you should start with a standard lens, which is 50mm of 55mm focal length.

09-30-2017, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
. . . . There is no point in using anything newer as they have electrical contacts that your K1000 will not use, although they wont damage anything.

So your best choice is M-series, A-Series or Takumar, all K-mount. And I advise you should start with a standard lens, which is 50mm of 55mm focal length.
this might confuse the matter further, I hope not

As I understand it:

the camera lens acts as a substitute for the human eye which has a certain " normal " angle of view

a wide angle gives a greater than normal angle of view - think peripheral vision at the most extreme

a telephoto gives a more narrow ( lesser ) than normal angel of view ( gives the effect of seeming to bring distant objects closer and bigger )

I was taught the lens' focal lengths was to be classified as:

less than 50 mm wide angle - example 28 mm, 35 mm

much less than 50 mm extreme wide angle - example 10 mm, 20 mm

around 50 mm normal ( it mimics what the human eye sees as far as angles of view)

greater than 50 mm telephoto - example 100 mm

much greater than 50 mm extreme telephoto - example 400 mm

this was for 35 mm film cameras with the standard sensor size which matched the dimensions of a 35 mm frame on film

now since the full frame sensor in the K 1 mimics the same sensor size as what was in the film SLR the description would hold to be the same I believe

on " cropped " sensor cameras ( all modern DSLR cameras which are not " full frame " ) the sensor size is smaller ( cropped ) and the lens focal length is multiplied by the crop factor 1.5 in Pentax DSLR

so around 50 mm lenses would mimic what the human eye sees as far as angles of view of 50 multiplied by 1.5

above the 50 mm " normal " lens for a film camera appears to act like a short telephoto

did I get that right experts???

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-30-2017 at 04:58 AM.
09-30-2017, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Perfect normal for a full frame camera is 43mm. So I don't think I'd agree that "wide angle" is anything wider than 50mm on film or full frame. But this is hair splitting, really. Without knowledge of what astronomer08's previous DSLR was, to know if it's crop or full frame, it's going to be difficult to know what to suggest. I'm going to assume it was crop but, again, it's an assumption.

A lens that might be fantastic here? The Pentax M 40mm f2.8. Small, just wider than normal, rendering similar to the Tessar's. Another would be an M 50 f1.7 for obvious reasons.

For the right lens, I would totally put up with an M42 to K adapter. A 55mm f1.2, Helios 44, Jupiter 9, a good fast 24mm or 28mm prime, etc could get me into using an adapter.
09-30-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

[quote=pres589;4101986]Perfect normal for a full frame camera is 43mm. So I don't think I'd agree that "wide angle" is anything wider than 50mm on film or full frame. But this is hair splitting, really. . . . quote]

thanks for the help

I changed it to " around "

just something my dad taught me when I was first handed a slr with a 50 mm lens

I don't own one but I have heard stories about a M42 to K adapter being hard to remove or even getting stuck so I am wary of them

of course, you always hear " stories "
09-30-2017, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I'd send you one of my old A-50 ƒ2s, but I gave one away recently.and the other is the body cap on my Program Plus. But that's a nice relatively cheap lens for the camera if you can find one.
09-30-2017, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Astronomer08, I have n SMC-M 50mm f2.0 that I'll give to you to get you started if you're willing to pay the postage. PM me your address.
09-30-2017, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

You really do not want to bother with those screw-mount lenses! Such adaptors are only to be recommended if you already have a set of M42 screw thread lenses that you don't want to throw away.
They are not a bother and such adapters are used if you want to get M42 lenses that you want to use on a K Mount body.
09-30-2017, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I just got my first SLR and its k 1000! so excited ... I am particularity looking for 35mm (it is the types of lens I always used on my DSLR)
I just noticed the part in brackets - if you have a DSLR then the K1000 is not your first SLR. A DSLRs is an SLR, a digital one! No matter.
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Perfect normal for a full frame camera is 43mm. So I don't think I'd agree that "wide angle" is anything wider than 50mm on film or full frame. ...A lens that might be fantastic here? The Pentax M 40mm f2.8.
In my early teens my father gave me an old 35mm camera, an Edina : Edina camera 1953. It had a 43mm lens (fixed of course) which was regarded back then as an ideal standard focal length. I also have a 1980s Pentax catalogue that places that 40mm and the several 50mm lenses in the "Standard" category. The 40mm might be fantastic, I've always hankered after one, but they sell for a fantastic price nowadays. They are so slim that enable the camera to be put into a large-ish pocket.

In the pre-K-mount (ie M42 mount) days of the S1, S2 and the Spotmatic, many were sold with a 55mm lens as standard; F1.8 was a common aperture, and F2 for the cheaper models. BTW, I think I was wrong in my post above in saying that the first K-series cameras had lenses designated as "Takumar". I think that "Takumar" was only ever applied to screw mount lenses. The first K-mount lenses said "SMC Pentax" on them, then the lenses for the M-series mostly said "SMC Pentax-M". The aim of the M-series was size reduction and some of the "M" designated lenses were significantly smaller than their "SMC Pentax" predecessors - the 20mm lenses for eample.
09-30-2017, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I also have a 1980s Pentax catalogue that places that 40mm and the several 50mm lenses in the "Standard" category. The 40mm might be fantastic, I've always hankered after one, but they sell for a fantastic price nowadays. They are so slim that enable the camera to be put into a large-ish pocket.
Mounted on a M series camera, the 40mm f2.8 pancake lens is quite small.

By fantastic price, I believe you mean they are an exceptional bargain particulalry when compared to other brands.