Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2017, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Using the Evilbay shopping system for some pricing ideas, M 40's seem pretty possible for under $150 USD, which maybe isn't what OP needs right now. 35mm f2.8's from Pentax with aperture rings seem pretty easy to find for under $100 so maybe that makes more sense.

10-01-2017, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Using the Evilbay shopping system for some pricing ideas, M 40's seem pretty possible for under $150 USD, which maybe isn't what OP needs right now. 35mm f2.8's from Pentax with aperture rings seem pretty easy to find for under $100 so maybe that makes more sense.
28mm /2.8 are more plentiful and cheaper than 35mms
10-01-2017, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Astronomer08, I have n SMC-M 50mm f2.0 that I'll give to you to get you started if you're willing to pay the postage. PM me your address.
that is a great offer from a forum member

I had one send me a gimbal when I was looking at whether I wanted to get one

this forum has great members

for anyone interested in a 40 mm, perhaps this would be of interest:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introd....html?src=lrdb

comparing the da 35 mm 2.4, da 40 mm limited 2.8 and da 40 mm xs 2.8

here are some reviews of the M 40 mm

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-40mm-F2.8-Pankake-Lens.html

and don't forget the forum's market place when looking for " experienced " lenses

I really enjoy my DA 40 mm xs 2.8

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-01-2017 at 04:24 AM.
10-01-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
28mm /2.8 are more plentiful and cheaper than 35mms
There's a lot of optically inferior 3rd party 28's and 35's. When you get out of the really weak performing stuff the prices start to become more comparable.

28 on full frame seems kind of wide for a sole lens. A 35mm would be more useful for subject framing, I think. A 35, a fast 50ish, and the OP would be well on his way. On full frame I don't see a reason to go with a 28 instead of a 24.

My 2 cents, worth maybe half as much.

10-01-2017, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
There's a lot of optically inferior 3rd party 28's and 35's. When you get out of the really weak performing stuff the prices start to become more comparable.

28 on full frame seems kind of wide for a sole lens. A 35mm would be more useful for subject framing, I think. A 35, a fast 50ish, and the OP would be well on his way. On full frame I don't see a reason to go with a 28 instead of a 24.

My 2 cents, worth maybe half as much.
Sorry I meant the M, K and A series Pentax though I have a Vivitar & a Tamaron adaptal.
10-01-2017, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
that is a great offer from a forum member

I had one send me a gimbal when I was looking at whether I wanted to get one

this forum has great members
Just paying forward the generosity that has been shown to me here in this community.
10-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
You really do not want to bother with those screw-mount lenses! Such adaptors are only to be recommended if you already have a set of M42 screw thread lenses that you don't want to throw away.

There are plenty of older Pentax branded K-mount lenses out there (unless you need to be really cheap - other clone brands that old are almost free). A nice 50mm F1.7 Pentax-M one went for £17 on ebay yesterday - I wish I'd bid. Someone said about "M" mount. This is confusing - there are the really old (pre-1975) M42 screw thread mount lenses and there are Pentax lenses designed for the M-series cameras (1976-1985) which have K mounts. There are also K-mount lenses designed for the A-series cameras from about 1985. There are also K-mount lenses designed for the original K-series cameras (from 1975, including your K1000) which tend to be called "Takumar" and are physically slightly bigger than the M-Series. There is no point in using anything newer as they have electrical contacts that your K1000 will not use, although they wont damage anything.

So your best choice is M-series, A-Series or Takumar, all K-mount. And I advise you should start with a standard lens, which is 50mm of 55mm focal length.
I see thank you very much!!

10-01-2017, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum.
Any K-mount lens will work, but some newer k-mount lenses do not have an aperture ring. You will want to avoid those - unless you buy a DSLR.
Older screw mount lenses (M42) can be fitted to a k-mount camera provided you purchase the correct adapter.

Kind regards,
Mark Jerling
(New Zealand)
I almost bought DA version... thank you for the head up!
10-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any K mount lens will work, that's correct, as long as it has an aperture ring and isn't a modern DA type.

For compatible third party lenses, check our database:

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Just keep in mind that many of these lenses also exist in other mounts, so make sure you get the Pentax version.
I see ! thank you
10-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd send you one of my old A-50 ƒ2s, but I gave one away recently.and the other is the body cap on my Program Plus. But that's a nice relatively cheap lens for the camera if you can find one.
awww thank you very much for your generosity! but I already have 50mm 2f!
10-02-2017, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
They are not a bother and such adapters are used if you want to get M42 lenses that you want to use on a K Mount body.
I agree totally. My m42 mount Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar f/1.8 55mm lens is one of the best I own. I happily use it on m42 or K-mount camera bodies (including dslrs) without hesitation.

However, it is probably easier for the Original Poster to begin with one or two K-mount lenses while getting acclimated to using the K1000 film slr. A good prime and a good zoom would be a good way to start, and why not begin with two lenses from the K1000's era. They were made to perform in the full-frame film format.
10-03-2017, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
By fantastic price, I believe you mean they [40mm pancake lenses] are an exceptional bargain particulalry when compared to other brands.
No, I mean that they are typically three times as expensive as an F2 50mm lens :-

Pentax 40mm f2.8 Pancake Prime Manual Focus Lens PK fit | eBay

Asahi SMC Pentax-M 50mm f2 Camera Lens With Caps FREE Postage
10-03-2017, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I agree totally. My m42 mount Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar f/1.8 55mm lens is one of the best I own. I happily use it on m42 or K-mount camera bodies (including dslrs) without hesitation.
I particularly appreciate the M42 17mm f4 Fisheye lens as it gives my M series the smallest format for this focal length.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
No, I mean that they are typically three times as expensive as an F2 50mm lens :-
I only compare my pancake lens to other pancakes and it is nowhere near the price of the Nikon pancake for instance.

Again, it also provides my M series the smallest format for this focal length.

10-03-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just like the idea of the 40's rendering, size, and focal length on full frame. It was probably a bad suggestion, especially when there's 50 f2.0's getting passed around for free to help the cause. So many different combinations that could be put together around a good k-mount film camera leads to lots of ideas. All part of the fun.
10-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I've always seen the M40mm as a bit of a marginal deal, considering you can get the 50/f1.7 for a lot less money, and end up with a lens which is almost as small, faster and with significantly better IQ...