Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ME Super or Super Program

I can get an ME Super fairly cheap locally (body only for $40CAD). Is the Super Program worth the extra money? I'd probably have to go eBay for that.

What differentiates the two?

Thanks in advance.

08-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The main differences between the two are: The ME super only has the basic K-mount, while the Super Progam uses the KA-mount (those contacts on the mount itself, The ME Super has a simpler hotshoe, the Super Program uses a TTL communication for the hotshoe. The ME-Super has Aperature Priority, while the Super program has both program mode (giving control of the aperature over to the body), and aperature priority.

I'm pretty sure that's the main differences between the two, aside from builds, ergonomics and other details.

You could look up this webpage: MESuper for details on the ME Super.

And... This webpage: superA/<BR>superPROGRAM For the Super progam.
08-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The super program has aperture indication in the viewfinder, and depth of field preview.
Ryan
08-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

While the Program's viewfinder isn't cramped, the ME has an even more spacious one.

With the Program, you'll be tempted to pay up for the SMC-A lenses, while with the ME you'll be satisfied with the regular K mounts (though of course you'll be able to use an A lens).

08-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #5

I know the SP has a Ti Shutter with 1/2000th top, and Flash sych is 1/125th...both pretty heady for early 80's. (not sure if the ME has same shutter)

And dont be-little TTL....if you do much flash it's awesome. And the higher sych is plus as well.
08-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

An ME Super for 40 bucks is a great price. The ME Super is a gem of a camera. It is a delight to use. Top shutter is 1/2000, and flash sync is 1/125.

If I had a bunch of SMC-M lenses, then I would go for the ME Super. If I had a bunch ofSMC-A lenses, then I would be tempted to go for the Super Program. You need the SMC-A lens to take full advantage of the Super Program.

I think the ME Super is underrated. It was overshadowed by its big brother the MX, and people miss what a great camera it is.
08-24-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. As for lenses. I have a few Ms (50mm f1.7, 28mm, f2) and an SMC-F zoom lens i got for cheap (which has the A setting). I guess I don't really need the Super Program if both are pretty similar in most other aspects.
08-24-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have both

08-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I have both
Any thoughts on comparing them?
08-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I prefer the Super Program because it has dof preview, ttl flash support, asa dial goes up 3200 while Me Super does only 1600, better viewfinder even though it's smaller (Me Super's exposure times are hard to see in low light, with Super Program you can press a button that illuminates the lcd screens in the vf), Super Program has a lcd screen between the winder lever and the shutter button that shows the exposure time and the shutter sound is sexier lol.

Me Super is a bit lighter though and it is a great camera. I've set my Me Super on a tripod at night and it'll expose for minutes automatically. It's older than the Super Program and may have more faults due to age. I think my Me Super is underexposing half a step.

If you have the cash you should get both. I actually have one Super Program and two Super As, they're essentially the same. I bought one body with the ever-ready case and a good strap for 30eur on ebay, so they go for pretty cheap sometimes too. If you have two bodies, you can put different kind of film on each body
08-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If you have the cash you should get both. I actually have one Super Program and two Super As, they're essentially the same. I bought one body with the ever-ready case and a good strap for 30eur on ebay, so they go for pretty cheap sometimes too. If you have two bodies, you can put different kind of film on each body

Hey how 'bout letting one of those go to me?
08-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm in the process of fixing two of them. One has a faulty ASA dial and the other has been unused for so long that it needs a little workout. When/if I get them all working 100% I may be able to let one or two go
08-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I prefer the Super Program because it has dof preview, ttl flash support, asa dial goes up 3200 while Me Super does only 1600, better viewfinder even though it's smaller (Me Super's exposure times are hard to see in low light, with Super Program you can press a button that illuminates the lcd screens in the vf), Super Program has a lcd screen between the winder lever and the shutter button that shows the exposure time and the shutter sound is sexier lol.

Me Super is a bit lighter though and it is a great camera. I've set my Me Super on a tripod at night and it'll expose for minutes automatically. It's older than the Super Program and may have more faults due to age. I think my Me Super is underexposing half a step.

Damn.

Now my CBA has kicked in and and the voice in my head is saying: MUST BUY SUPER PROGRAM!!

And I thought I had that voice under control.

Next stop: ebay!
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Unless you need TTL flash, I would go with the ME Super. The ME Super's viewfinder is fabulous. I just bought my second ME Super.
08-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I picked up this SP body for $50 on eBay
Pentax Super Program 35mm SLR Film Camera + Manual - (eBay.ca item 310075366228 end time 24-Aug-08 20:00:00 EDT)

What do you guys think