Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2017, 12:05 PM - 13 Likes   #1

master Pentax technician interview (no, the other one)

I had a chat with Robin Gowing of Harrow Technical the other day. He's like an English Eric Hendrickson, and had some interesting things to say about the business (which is up). He also sent me pictures of his work space, complete with an MX being reborn. I wrote it up on partialsight.com. Yes, this is shameless self promotion, but it's totally relevant, so that makes it OK.

10-04-2017, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff, thanks for posting!

Phil.
10-04-2017, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Very entertaining and well written!!
10-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was Robin who CLA'd my 1957 AP, bringing it back to perfect working order.

10-04-2017, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Entertaining read!

Speaking of technicians, There's a Pentax tech I'm using locally here at Advance Camera in Portland, Oregon. I haven't quite built up a relationship so don't know him by name. He's working on an ME Super I bought recently and overhauled my MX earlier this year. Nothing against Eric, but I figure I should keep this guy busy to keep a critical mass of technicians out there.
10-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, very entertaining read.

Didn't know about him either! He'll be getting a camera sometime I think.
10-05-2017, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On another note, your writing style is fantastic. I've been transfixed for a couple of days reading all your entries, and I'm not one to be easily swayed by a turn of phrase.

10-05-2017, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Entertaining read!

Speaking of technicians, There's a Pentax tech I'm using locally here at Advance Camera in Portland, Oregon. I haven't quite built up a relationship so don't know him by name. He's working on an ME Super I bought recently and overhauled my MX earlier this year. Nothing against Eric, but I figure I should keep this guy busy to keep a critical mass of technicians out there.
His name is Paul Gatineau, he's worked on at least a dozen Pentax film cameras I've have or had over the last 2 years (have sold a few off), he does great work. He just got done going through my "new" Black K2 and is giving my K-1 a long overdue cleaning. He worked with Eric, both were supervisors at the Pentax repair center in Chicago, so he really knows what he's doing. A great source of information, usually ask him questions about particular camera models - reliability, availability parts and costs, before I buy.

Link to web page for anyone interested: Advance Camera Repair
10-05-2017, 08:36 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well written and thanks for sharing.

Just a comment, Pål Vangsøy in Norway is another guy who specializes on Pentax repair. Just like Robin he worked as a tech for the Pentax representative in Norway, but a year ago, after working for a third party repair outfit, he decided to go solo. He shares office with an excellent sales channel for Pentax, Fovi, with access to an incredible stock of spares. Pål does both film and digital cameras. Highly recommended guy.
10-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
His name is Paul Gatineau, he's worked on at least a dozen Pentax film cameras I've have or had over the last 2 years (have sold a few off), he does great work. He just got done going through my "new" Black K2 and is giving my K-1 a long overdue cleaning. He worked with Eric, both were supervisors at the Pentax repair center in Chicago, so he really knows what he's doing. A great source of information, usually ask him questions about particular camera models - reliability, availability parts and costs, before I buy.

Thanks for the info, I may use them sometime. (Closer than Tennessee for me)

Beaverton Oregon, used to go to Earthquake Ethel's disco back in the late 1970's.

Haven't been there since, I guess things have changed or not so much??

Phil.
10-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Beaverton Oregon, used to go to Earthquake Ethel's disco back in the late 1970's.
Now, that's old !!

Vaguely remember it.....and yes things have really changed.

If you call, choose option #4, which is repair, usually Paul answers as long as it's after 1030. If he's not in, they're very good about passing a message to him.
10-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote

Good to know, thanks! Unfortunately, I can only come in on Saturdays so may not get to meet him.
10-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #13

Original Poster
I'm glad folks enjoyed the piece. I just find the art of keeping these machines running fascinating, and I see these guys (and the occasional gal) as unsung heroes of a sort. Thanks for reading. Anyone know if Eric Hendrickson's protegee that I referenced from K David's interview stayed the course?
10-06-2017, 03:42 AM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice read, thanks!
10-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Thank you for this, living in the UK it helps to have info on a repair / CLA service closer to home.

EDIT: R.E. your comment about the K1000 pronunciation, I just realised it could be pronounced "KK"