Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax MX - compatible with Zeiss or Leica Glass?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I am using a black MX with an SMC 50mm f1.4 lens. I totally love this camera. It was my father's so it has a sentimental value ... and it shoots amazing pictures with this great lens.

I got into street photography and I am looking for a 35mm lens. I was wondering if the MX is compatible with any good glass from Zeiss or Leica.

Thank you

10-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
So the Leitax ... Is a mount that allows one to use Leica R lenses or M lenses as well?

10-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the Leitax, you change the lens mount to a K mount.
10-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Leica M lenses won't adapt to Pentax - the lens mounts too far from the film for rangefinder lenses. Leica R lenses can be adapted with Leitax, but you lose diaphragm stop-down and open aperture metering, so I don't recommend it for a film body. (I do use R lenses on an A7 digital body.)
I'd suggest looking for a Pentax SMC-M 35mm f2.0 or 2.8. Both are ideal size for the MX and were made to work with it.

10-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all

10-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Might also consider the K 30mm F2.8, it's a wonderful lens.
10-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I looked for it on eBay ... Pricey .. but will have my eyes open for it

10-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kupepe Quote
I was wondering if the MX is compatible with any good glass from Zeiss
G'day mate,

There's some good info posted already and as I have limited film SLR experience I will stick to info that I'm confident on. Please note I'm not affiliated with any of the links I attach.

As mentioned already, if you're heart is set on a Zeiss lens a ZK is the best option: Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F2 ZK for Pentax in Box Full frame K-1 | eBay I have one of these and it's a great lens. The K-1 has seen their price go up and most are gone from the market so if you really want one of these set up an ebay search so you're notified of any that come up for sale. I'd also use the forums to see if anyone is considering selling their 35mm ZK and join the Zeiss lens club here: Carl Zeiss T* ZK mounts (Distagon, Planar, Makro-Planar) - PentaxForums.com One of the guys who used to post their sold his 35mm last month, so it's a pity your timing is out.

A second contemporary Zeiss option is the same lens but in a ZS (M42) mount: New Carl ZEISS DISTAGON T * 35mm f2 ZS (for M42 screw mount) COSINA Japan The limitations with this lens are likely to be the same as that mentioned for the Leica R though maybe someone can clarify that for you.

The third contemporary Zeiss lens option already mentioned above is the conversion of Nikon ZF/ZF2 mount to K mount using a Leitax converter. The Leitax page does identify that '...Pentax cameras will meter...' but I don't know if this has been tested on a camera like the MX or just digital cameras. Forum member Fenwoodian has lots of experience with these conversions and has years of film experience so I'd recommend dropping him a PM to introduce yourself and discuss it with him. If this is a viable option it opens up f1.4 and f2 lens choices including the latest Milvus series or if you're looking at not spending too much it provides access to many more classic series Zeiss like the ZK mentioned already.

A fourth option is to consider the Contax MM mount conversion through Leitax. I believe this is the lens suitable for conversion: Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/2.8 T* MMJ Lens, for Contax Yashica C/Y Mount Going down this path is a cheaper 'Zeiss' option and you can confirm through Leitax before you purchase it whether this will convert using their mount. I'm unable to advise on what aperture controls you would or would not have on an MX so hopefully again someone can drop by and confirm that for you. Doing an ebay search for 'Contax 35mm MMJ lens' pops up over 30 lenses though some of these are the expensive 35mm 1.4 lenses.

Good luck with finding the right lens to get you back out on the streets.

Tas
10-06-2017, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I love the look of Leica glass, but have no experience with these lenses.

Zeiss makes two 35mm modern lenses that can be Leitax adapted to Pentax K mount. The f/1.4 version, and the f/2 version. The f/2 version is the cheapest, also it's the smallest/lightest. The f/1.4 version is best when shot at f/1.4 to f/2.8. It has an unbelievable bokeh at these apertures. With most street photography being shot at smaller apertures I image that the Zeiss ZF 35mm f/2 would be the better choice for you.

I've owned some of the Contax Carl Zeiss lenses and never cared for them and didn't think they were anywhere near the quality of the modern Zeiss "Classic" or "Milvus" lenses.
10-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pricey .. but will have my eyes open for it
The A35/2.8 or the K35/3.5 might suit your needs if you can find them. They seem to go for reasonable prices.

I imagine the Zeiss and Leica lenses you're talking about are way more expensive.
10-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple of Zeiss ZK lenses (28 and 35), a couple of Voigtlander's (55 and 90) and a Leica R 90mm f2.8 which I adapted with a Leitax.

I don't have an MX but have used these lenses on both my ME Super and LX, which are similar era and metering.

The lenses all meter just fine on the the ME Super and LX. Just set the aperture on the lens, and manually focus. The only real difference from using a DSLR with these lenses is you don't have in-body setting of aperture on the 'A' setting.

Cheers,

Ross
10-06-2017, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I got into street photography and I am looking for a 35mm lens. I was wondering if the MX is compatible with any good glass from Zeiss or Leica.
As others have mentioned, there's varoius options to use Zeiss/Leica SLR glass on your MX (some better than others), but I have to ask - why would you want to? One of the great things about shooting a K-mount SLR is all the amazing K-mount glass available.

It's worth keeping in mind that for the price you would pay adapting Leica-R lenses to Pentax-K, you could afford some of the best lenses Pentax has ever made...

Want a 35mm for street photography and have money to spend? Have a look at the Pentax FA Limited 31mm f1.8.
10-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
he only real difference from using a DSLR with these lenses is you don't have in-body setting of aperture on the 'A' setting.
??? The ZK series Zeiss support automated aperture control by the body (have "A" position on aperture ring). The same is true for the SL and SL2 series Voigtlander for Pentax K. Unless your copies are damaged or have been modified, they should not require any special technique when paired with a Pentax dSLR.

Steve
10-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I have to ask - why would you want to?
This ^ ^ ^

There are multiple K-mount options that are quite suitable for street photography on your MX, without paying extra for a German-sounding name. Most street photography is done at f/8 with focus set to the hyperfocal. Good contrast is nice as is a compact form, but absolute sharpness is not a high priority.

The Pentax-M 40/2.8 pancake was intended to be paired with the M-series bodies for street photography. As noted above, the M 28/3.5, M 35/2 and M 35/2.8 are all decent choices. Don't worry about the maximum aperture. You generally won't be shooting wide open. I use the FA 35/2 and Tamron 28/2.5 (02B) for street with my K-mount film cameras...

Ricoh XR-2s, Pentax-FA 35/2, Legacy Pro 100

Steve
10-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #15
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
??? The ZK series Zeiss support automated aperture control by the body (have "A" position on aperture ring). The same is true for the SL and SL2 series Voigtlander for Pentax K. Unless your copies are damaged or have been modified, they should not require any special technique when paired with a Pentax dSLR.

Steve
Lost in translation I think

They work fine on the dSLR in A mode with body control. What I was trying to say is when you mount them on a LX, ME Super or MX then that control doesn't work - it is manual only using the aperture ring, metering for shutter speed, and obviously manually focussing.