Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #1

d fa 70-200 film body?

I have a number of pentax film bodies, but none autofocus, or auto much of anything. Recently bit the bullet and bought a new d fa 70-200; still figuring out how best to use it, but great lens on my digital body.
Is there a film body that I can use this lens on since it has no aperture ring?

10-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anything from the SF series and later should work allowing you to set the aperture via the camera. Autofocus will be a problem as there is no screw drive facility on that lens I dont think.
10-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps these excellent pieces of research might be of help

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering."

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series "

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features.mpatibil Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera coity here.

it appears any Pentax camera body with a " K " or " K A " mount on camera or newer will work in some fashion with a D FA Zoom

best to read at least the first article cited above where its chart explains it all

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2017 at 07:04 AM.
10-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Anything from the SF series and later should work allowing you to set the aperture via the camera. Autofocus will be a problem as there is no screw drive facility on that lens I dont think.
Thanks, thats what I needed to know- which bodies can control the aperture.

10-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

I suggest you try the Pentax Z-1P... loads of functionality.

If you have read the manual, its easy to use ... 4fps
K-1 league

jokes aside... a real good camera... bit plasticky and misses P-TTL (only TTL) but its OK.

Another option is a camera not everybody knows it exists... The "Pentax *ist"
That is the analogue version of the "Pentax *ist D"

none of the two cameras will let you use your silent AF - you will have to focus manually...
where the latter offers you P-TTL, but both can control aperture(have AV) on lenses that dont have an aperture ring or are set to A(Auto)

I would wish for a new analogue body from PENTAX but i guess, the people at Ricoh-Imaging have other things to worry about right now.
(nonetheless it would be cool to see a film body one day, that can make full use of modern lenses and flash systems.)
10-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dogzilla Quote
I have a number of pentax film bodies, but none autofocus, or auto much of anything. Recently bit the bullet and bought a new d fa 70-200; still figuring out how best to use it, but great lens on my digital body.
Is there a film body that I can use this lens on since it has no aperture ring?
Any camera which can automatically set the aperture will work (i.e. KA mount or newer), as others have pointed out. On a few, like the Z-1, you'll even be able to select the aperture through the camera body.

Focusing will be manual on all film bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
and misses P-TTL (only TTL) but its OK.
There are many that see TTL as a better system than P-TTL. Indeed, it is unfair to say that TTL is inferior to P-TTL

10-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #8

There are many that see TTL as a better system than P-TTL. Indeed, it is unfair to say that TTL is inferior to P-TTL
Yeah. I thought that P-TTL was developed because they couldn't meter flash "Through The Lens" any more while the picture was being taken due to the difference in reflectivity between digital sensor & film. I was unaware that P-TTL had any advantages over TTL.
10-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

hmm... is that humor? or do you mean it? sry. I dont get your point. things are what things are. not more not less.
I just gave out info.

-- TTL is TTL
-- P-TTL is P-TTL .. and has some advantages over mere TTL (since the P-TTL protocol is not only about another metering method the AFAIK...)
but I wont break loose a discussion on that, nor will I take part of it. have fun!

So relax... I also own none of the 2 analogue P-TTL capable bodies, and everything is cool for me.

Nonetheless it would be cool to see a real modern K-Mount SLR like the K-1 that loads 135 film cartridges... and makes full use of KAF2, KAF3 and KAF4 lenses.
I maybe would hand out 600-800 bucks for such a cam. But I doubt there will be one any time soon.
10-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
hmm... is that humor? or do you mean it? sry. I dont get your point. things are what things are. not more not less.
Apologies if I offended you. I was just pointing out that your comment that the camera "misses" P-TTL, and only does TTL is not regarded as a defect by many.

P-TTL meters before the actual capture-flash, wheareas TTL meters during the actual capture flash itself.
10-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

. . . P-TTL meters before the actual capture-flash, wheareas TTL meters during the actual capture flash itself.
That was my understanding -- as far as flash exposure goes, P-TTL was more of a "work-around" than anything else. Not that any other camera company did it any differently. Whatever else P-TTL does (I'm guessing optical remote flash control?) would probably have been possible to add on to TTL if they didn't have to replace it in the first place.