Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Upgrading from K1000

So I got a k1000 shots find everything works great I dirtied the focus screen but I got a replacement from a awesome user on here. But I think it's time to get something smaller and lighter. However in the same K mount lens would nice as I have two lenses already.

What would you guys recommend as a replacement was looking at the ME SUPER. SUPER PROGRAM and other small form factor K mount cameras.

10-10-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My favorite is the Pentax Super A aka Super Program.
10-10-2017, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
MX - all manual like K1000, but very small, also rugged and capable
10-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for the MX. The ME Super and Super Program have their advantages, but those disappear very fast when the battery power does. The MX, like the K1000, is all-mechanical and will keep going without batteries and even after the circuit board for the light meter dies. (You will be stuck with some other means of determining exposure, of course, but you can still take pictures.) And its basic control scheme (for shutter, aperture, ISO selection) is exactly like that of the K1000, so you should feel right at home.

10-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX is a bit smaller, has some more advanced features but like your K1000 offers manual exposure only.
The ME Super and Super Program you mentioned as well as some other Pentax models also offer autoexposure.

FWIW I got my wife a Pentax MX as an upgrade to her K1000, however she still preferred her K1000.

Chris
10-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another vote for the MX. Smaller and lighter with a wonderfully big and bright viewfinder!
10-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here is my suggestion: ZX-L or similar.

Every lens and every flash just work. The main complaint is that the batteries aren't cheap but nothing in the film world is free. I have the battery grip mostly because my hands are large.

My other film cameras are an MX which I really like for all the reasons mentioned above, an LX which I find somewhat pretentious, and a K2DMD with the ASA ring issue that Eric couldn't fix.

10-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this link leads to info about how different Pentax Camera bodies work with various Pentax lenses

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

here is a link to different Pentax film bodies

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxCameraComparison.html

perhaps that info could be of interest to the original poster
10-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There is nothing on a K1000 to stop you taking good photos!
10-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I like the Super Program, but that's what I'm used to. I use the automatic exposure features it has, both involving and not involving the A-series lenses. I personally don't feel that the battery-less shutter operation of the MX is a big feature, since I rarely am in a situation where I run out of batteries and can estimate the exposure. The larger viewfinder sounds nice, and I have been tempted by an MX in the past, but have so far resisted since I have other Pentax cameras I can use.
10-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree the battery-dependence issue may be a bit overblown.
I can't recall any of my film camera failing due to dead batteries.
Of course I always carry spares.

Unlike digital cameras, batteries in film cameras with electronic shutters
typically last quite a long time, many months in most cases.

That said I do prefer cameras with mechanical shutters and minimal electronics,
mainly for their simpler operation and long-term repairability.

Chris
10-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Upgrade, smaller and lighter, mention ME Super and Super Program . . .

All of these are smaller and lighter except for the LX which is smaller but maybe about the same weight depending on which version of K1000 and which version viewfinder on the LX.

The MX is an upgrade as far as metering cel, largest viewfinder among all (regardless of brand) fixed prism manual SLRs and has motor and film back options.

The ME Super has aperture priority.

The Ricoh XR7 has aperture priority and conventional control layout. Here is an ad for it.

The LX has TTL flash, aperture priority, interchangeable viewfinders and has sync to top shutter speed + bulb mode, available when batteries die.
10-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also wanted an "upgrade" to my K1000 for film.
Chose the Super Program.
Been using it in "auto" mode with "auto" lenses.
An upgrade to me is going from full manual to auto.
I am enjoying the Super and also the K1000 and the K7 and the K5IIS.
They all have there areas of interest.
Enjoy them

Clarence
10-11-2017, 01:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
... an LX which I find somewhat pretentious....
How does a camera become 'pretentious'?
10-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
How does a camera become 'pretentious'?
By having tried to challenge Nikon's and Canon's dominance in the professional market? Or is it the owner being pretentious by owning one? (I'm guilty)

Maybe these days it is pretentious to use film at all, in which case all film cameras are pretentious. But 99.9% of onlookers would not know the difference between an LX and a Spotmatic, and 99.8% would even notice the difference between a K-1 and a Spotmatic.