Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Oooh...my experience has been that if an autofocus (Pentax) film camera has the mirror stuck up, it is done.

10-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
So I sprung for an SFX body on ebay. SFX fans, any thoughts?

Yes, I fell for the old "selling off my dad's old camera" line, but the pics looked very good. I'm not a big fan of auto focus or auto film winding, but the reviews of the great viewfinder here on PF and the focus confirm even using MF lenses sounded good. Also, people say the camera has some heft to it and doesn't feel like one of the later cheapy plastic af/film models whose gears all wear out (I already own two of those I bought for the lenses on them).

It (and the battery I ordered) should arrive within a week.
I seem to be collecting SFX bodies. My favourite is the SFXn. I have another 3 SFX bodies - One I have passed on to my daughter along with a few lenses. Recently, I have acquired an AA battery holder for the SFXn, so no more need to buy the expensive batteries.
10-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I seem to be collecting SFX bodies. My favourite is the SFXn. I have another 3 SFX bodies - One I have passed on to my daughter along with a few lenses. Recently, I have acquired an AA battery holder for the SFXn, so no more need to buy the expensive batteries.
Mark, have you had the opportunity to unstick one of your SFX cameras that got stuck in the middle of the film loading process?

The one I have just acquired seems just too pretty to give up on if there is any way to get it operating again.
10-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, have you had the opportunity to unstick one of your SFX cameras that got stuck in the middle of the film loading process?

The one I have just acquired seems just too pretty to give up on if there is any way to get it operating again.
I've never had one get stuck. Have you tried rewinding the film? Or what about opening the door and shutting it again to see if it will wind on?

10-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never had one get stuck. Have you tried rewinding the film? Or what about opening the door and shutting it again to see if it will wind on?
The film wouldn't rewind, so I opened the back and pulled it slowly off of the spool. The manual says to start over the loading procedure if loading doesn't get to the point when the "1" exposure indicator is displayed. It wouldn't load at all that second time, just made a buzzing sound. The film door was opened and closed during those steps.
10-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What does it do if you open and shut the door with the camera on, but with no film inside?
10-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I turn on the camera the film symbol starts flashing on the top screen and I hear the buzzing sound for about a second. If I press the shutter button I get the buzzing sound again. If I open the door and then close it, it causes the buzzing sound again. If I open the door (getting the buzzing sound), and then press the shutter button, I get the buzzing sound again and nothing inside the film compartment moves. If I turn off the switch the film symbol keeps flashing, but if I open the door the flashing film symbol goes away.

The mirror stays flipped up during all of this (note it was down before I tried to load film the first time).

10-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds to me as if the winding gears have gotten stuck and the buzz is the motor trying to turn but being incapable of doing so. Time to get yourself another SFX.
10-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It sounds to me as if the winding gears have gotten stuck and the buzz is the motor trying to turn but being incapable of doing so. Time to get yourself another SFX.
Sad... This was my first one. It's a beauty, too. It just couldn't handle loading it's first roll after what must have been years in storage since the time it's earlier owner packed it away.
10-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad... This was my first one. It's a beauty, too. It just couldn't handle loading it's first roll after what must have been years in storage since the time it's earlier owner packed it away.
Pity yes. If you weren't so far, I'd send you one.
10-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before you give up on it, check to see if the shutter curtain has stuck part way. If it doesn’t close completely, the camera won’t reset the mirror or advance film properly.

It’s a common issue for any camera that’s been in storage for long periods.
10-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pity yes. If you weren't so far, I'd send you one.
There seem to be a few others available for reasonably cheap, so I might eventually buy another one, perhaps if there is some evidence of working condition.

Let me ask you another question since you have a good amount of experience with them. Once the battery is installed, should the shutter button trip the shutter -- even before film is loaded? The manual just says to load film right away, describing no pre-film testing that should work. On mine, the shutter didn't work before the film loading. If it should have, then the camera already had a problem...perhaps the reason it was packed away.

---------- Post added 10-19-17 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Before you give up on it, check to see if the shutter curtain has stuck part way. If it doesn’t close completely, the camera won’t reset the mirror or advance film properly.

It’s a common issue for any camera that’s been in storage for long periods.
I'll take a closer look at the shutter curtain. It isn't obviously hanging open, but maybe it hasn't fully returned by some small amount, enough to cause a problem. I'll also start looking for any articles or literature about servicing these models. I don't really like taking things this complex apart, but I might not be able to break it more in some way that mattered by attempting to get the mechanism unstuck.
10-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a similar issue with my SFX. When I remove the lens and return it, along with removing the battery and re-seating it...brings it back to life.
10-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me ask you another question since you have a good amount of experience with them. Once the battery is installed, should the shutter button trip the shutter -- even before film is loaded? The manual just says to load film right away, describing no pre-film testing that should work. On mine, the shutter didn't work before the film loading. If it should have, then the camera already had a problem...perhaps the reason it was packed away.
I'll check tonight and will let you know.
10-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #30

One of my local dealers has an SF-1 for sale now. From the photos, it looks to be in great condition. It's around $11, plus about $9 shipping. Not bad.

= Pentax SF1 35mm Film SLR Camera Body | eBay