Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking to pick up a ZX-10

I've been wanting to pick up a film SLR and found a ZX-10 here locally for $60. It comes with the Pentax-F 35-80mm and 80-200mm zooms. Is this a good deal? I figure I can sell the lenses on the 'Bay and pretty much get the camera body for little or nothing. I'm picking this kit up later this afternoon. Just wanted to check in here first to see if it was worth buying.

08-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have one and like it a lot. But then, I tend to like the 'next from the top model' cameras in general. It is very light weight, simple to use. The lenses however, if they are like mine (my tele's a Tokina with a 49mm filter size) are not very good at all.

I've used this camera with the 43, the 16-45, with Takumars, and a Lensbaby. Works great with them all.

p.s. my offer of this camera "WITH auto focus and auto exposure!" and light weight met with the following response: "I like how the Spotmatic looks better," from the daughter as I was trying to reclaim the SP1000 from her clutches.
08-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Spotmatics do look better....
08-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh and I almost forgot some of the best bits: I use it for pinhole photography. For this the viewfinder needs a blind... and the strap that Pentax made at the time is extremely well thought out. It has secure little pockets for little bits like the viewfinder blind. Wish they still made them that way.

08-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Banned

isn't the ZX-10 a plastic fantastic? it has a plastic mount no? and came out when the FAJ lenses also had a plastic mount? I don't think id pay that much for the kit but I agree that you'd likely be able to get your money back after selling the lenses.
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, now that I think about it (and check the net) it is a plastic mount. The kit zoom has a metal mount however. Unlike the ZX-5, the 10 doesn't have the ability to set aperture via the body, so if you don't have an aperture ring you're using one of the program modes.
08-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a few lenses with aperture rings (FA50, Sigma 24-60, and a few Super Taks) so I should be okay. The Taks work very well in Av, so chances are that I'll just slap the adapter on it and use them with the film body.
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have 2 Pentax ZX-10, originally I used one for color film and the other for B&W film. It is very good. This one make me decided to go with Pentax digital instead of other brands. It supports the lenses with the A ring. The ZX-60 only support the cripel lenses (without the A ring). $60 is a very good deal. I hope you enjoy it.

08-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I picked up the camera and lenses the other day. Turns out the camera and lenses were all new! I'm pretty sure the lenses had never been mounted on a camera body. Everything came with the original paperwork (manuals, warranty cards, product registration cards, etc.). Only the camera itself did not have a manual. She even gave me the little black Pentax shoulder bag she kept everything in.

This woman worked for Pentax in the sales department years ago. Evidently they had an office on Long Island that has since closed. Since she didn't do actual sales, she knew nothing about cameras, but had all this free stuff she had gotten as an employee. She decided to sell everything she had except a PnS camera (don't know which model) and some binoculars.

I'll have to run some film through this thing over the weekend to make sure everything is working. Who knows how long this thing sat without being used....
08-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Banned

I wonder what other pentax goodies she might have had?
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I wonder what other pentax goodies she might have had?
You know I asked!

That was pretty much it. She had the binoculars and PnS camera she was keeping. No other camera stuff. I was hoping she had a couple of cheap A* or FA* lenses laying around. Being the nice guy that I am, I definitely would've saved her the trouble of having to list them on Craigslist...
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
You know I asked!

That was pretty much it. She had the binoculars and PnS camera she was keeping. No other camera stuff. I was hoping she had a couple of cheap A* or FA* lenses laying around. Being the nice guy that I am, I definitely would've saved her the trouble of having to list them on Craigslist...

I bet you would have! if she somehow had an A* 85mm 1.4 I think I would have had a heart attack trying to ask about acquisition.
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great price for a new-in-box kit!

I've seen a used ZX-10 body for $59, so your price is good.

Try out the lenses and see what you think. I had the 35-80 (in both AF and MF variants) and it was the worst lens I have ever put on a camera. Very soft. But I think the 80-200 has a much better reputation.

One recommendation -- get the FG battery grip. It lets you use AA batteries, improves handling with longer lenses, and usually costs <20 dollars.