Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shot of the Arc de Triomphe I took on Kodak Gold early 2000.

A crop from a 4X5 transparency I won off ebay era 1950's/1960's?

No doubt that shot must have been taken a few times!

10-23-2017, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

Love the vintage print. Oh what a difference compared to present day. The print must be 1956 or later. You can just see part of a Citroen DS in front of the larger van. The DS was launched at the end of 1955. Possibly my favourite car.
10-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Love the vintage print. Oh what a difference compared to present day. The print must be 1956 or later. You can just see part of a Citroen DS in front of the larger van. The DS was launched at the end of 1955. Possibly my favourite car.
Thanks for that bit of info!
10-23-2017, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a Peugeot 403, released in 1955, coming toward camera on right of bus.
The Renault Dauphine going away on right of van came out in 1956.

But if that Mercedes on far left is a 220 , with factory fog lights and turn indicators above the headlamps, then it might be 1958.
Furthermore, I think that Simca Aronde behind the 'Benz is a 1958 90A by its mustache grill with no dome in the centre, and with turn indicators outboard.

10-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
There is a Peugeot 403, released in 1955, coming toward camera on right of bus.
The Renault Dauphine going away on right of van came out in 1956.

But if that Mercedes on far left is a 220 , with factory fog lights and turn indicators above the headlamps, then it might be 1958.
Furthermore, I think that Simca Aronde behind the 'Benz is a 1958 90A by its mustache grill with no dome in the centre, and with turn indicators outboard.
That is quite the detailed review there!
The auction past said it was 40's which I didn't think so and now I know better!
10-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is quite the detailed review there!
Thanks, How it came to be, was that Peugeot and Renault cars were assembled in Australia after 1950.
My father was a dealer so my early memories were of our family cars being French!
And French cars were discussed at the dinner table!
I remember a Renault Dauphine for a while then a Peugeot 403 ( sedan like Columbo's)
10-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Ha. It's that shot that convinced me to get my second SLR.
I was on a package tour with my grandmother and shooting through the bus window with the trusty K1000.
I had a great shot of the Arc down the Champs Elysees.
Focus, shutter speed, where's that needle... too high... aperture... dang... missed it...
When I got home, I saved my money and bought a Super Program.
This time I'm taking the MX and just staying off the busses

-Eric

10-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I was in Paris with a 35mm film SLR (and my 645 film camera and <fujifilm X-M1) at the beginning of last year. For the 35mm camera I rarely used anything other than the 50mm I had. The 35mm was used occasionally and I don't think I used the 85mm much if at all.

If you're traveling light then I'd say a 28mm (or 24-35mm zoom would do fine) and most importantly a fast 50.
10-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
This time I'm taking the MX and just staying off the busses
It is amazing how those huge tour busses were able to navigate those tight busy streets!

Good luck with your trip!
11-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went with the SMC-M 24-35 and SMC-A 50mm 1.4

It was a good trip. It was for work, so not a lot of time to wander, but I did well enough.

The 24-35 stayed on the camera nearly the whole time. It was a really good choice (though for future reference, 24mm doesn't quite cover the Arc de Triomphe unless you want to step into the street and place your life in the hands of Parisian drivers...). Maybe I'll take a 20mm next time
I couldn't take shots at the Arc like the longer ones some of you posted because the police had cordoned off much of the street there and didn't want folks wandering through with cameras (or at all, really).

The 50 mm did well where you'd expect, like the Eiffel from the Trocadero...
In retrospect, the 135 mm would have been different but about as useful, just better for different things.

On the accessory side, I took a af160sa flash (the cheap boxy one). It worked great the couple times I used it, even in auto...
I also took a Manfrotto mini tripod. Very good choice. I wouldn't put a K1/300f4 on it, but the MX is perfect.

Film-wise, XP2 was a good choice, speed-wise, though the scans I had done locally are too low-resolution to see how it really looked.
The K1 is about to find out how good it is at scanning negs from its older cousin...

Here are a couple...

From the middle of Neuilly-sur-Seine, with the camera propped on my chest with the tripod and the exposure about as low as the meter would go...

And dry beans at the Neuilly market. It's three times a week, and I'm amazed how something that robust (people roasting chicken and refrigerators on site) can go up and come down as fast as it does.

And I'm not sure what to say about this... It's the Louis Vuitton Foundation, and it demonstrates what I'll call a French fearlessness with modern architecture that is not always successful.
I'm sure there are more official terms for folks who actually, well, know something about architecture...
There are better angles, too, but the vertical bar on the left is part of a large glass demi-wall that runs 20-30 meters along the side. From this angle it nearly vanishes...

-Eric