Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So is the lesson here that the very best emulsions and the very finest lenses with the very best technique still (just) beat out digital at the pixel/grain-peeping level?

11-16-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #62

I think it really comes down to an aesthetic choice, which one you prefer. There is some more discussion here..

'Just as an aside, the Mamiya 7 did very well in the resolution tests and yet the files looked a lot worse than the absolute resolution would indicate. This is due to the grain of the film starting to obscure tonality and fine detailed textures. Low contrast elements got lost within the grain in most cases. The Mamiya 7 ended up resolving considerably more than the DSLRs but looking only slightly better than them.

At first it looks like the DSLR's are quite a bit sharper but once you look closer you see that the details are quite mushy. this is something that has been observed in the IQ180/film results also and is symptom of the way digital and film resolve fine detail. With digital, the finer and finer detail in an image are quite contrasty all the way to the resolution of the sensor and then, at that point, there is no more detail. The camera detail hits a resolution brick wall beyond which it cannot go because of the size of the pixel. Film, on the other hand, renders detail quite differently. Finer and finer detail loses more and more contrast so that at the point where digital hits a brick wall, film has lower contrast so the digital looks sharper. However, the film keeps on going finer and finer until either the grain overwhelms it or the scanner runs out of resolution. What this can mean is that digital can look sharper "at a certain critical resolution". This resolution is dependent on the format but having printed out lots of tests, seems to be at the point of a 300dpi print at native resolution. Once you enlarge beyond this, film carries on looking good but digital starts to look 'plasticky'. Having said that, this critical resolution for the IQ180 is 26 x 32 print - quite good enough for nearly all purposes. In our final print comparison, once you enlarge beyond this to 40 x 50 for example, the 4x5 and definitely the 10x8 start to look better than the IQ180.'

And some more after that..

Camera Test - Editor's Commentary - On Landscape
11-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
I think it really comes down to an aesthetic choice, which one you prefer.
Oh this is true, and indeed I've largely gone to film for fun and digital for work, because the stuff I photograph at work only gets one shot under the camera before it's either buried/cremated (autopsy) or dissected (histology). The K-1 gets the gig when it's a never to be repeated event or I need the flexibility it offers, but those "just mucking around with the camera" shots fall into emulsion territory to give me more opportunity to better perfect both my photographic and my darkroom technique.

Of course the irony there is that the film shots all get digitised on the K-1... but something of that film aesthetic still comes through, and it's not like I'll ever stretch it to incredible degrees or print sizes.
11-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to note that acros is not the best representative of film, it's tonality is very similar to digital's, unlike most BW films. I like this scan better too.. 01 | Kaunas. Fuji Neopan 100 Acros. Pentax D-FA 24-70 F2.8. | Flickr
What do you mean by saying that the tonality is very similar to digital ? The file you linked to is exactly the same scan, slightly tweaked in DxO Optics Pro. The scans came as TIFF files, so they had some room for slight adjustments.

11-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #65

I prefer exactly the same scan then. Acros has a very straight even tonality, like digital. It has a contrasty look. It's unusual for a film to be that way.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ranchu; 11-16-2017 at 06:20 PM.
11-17-2017, 04:31 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer exactly the same scan then. Acros has a very straight even tonality, like digital. It has a contrasty look. It's unusual for a film to be that way.
Thanks for the info !
11-17-2017, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #67

Here is a cool thing, you can click different film and developer combinations.. (javascript needs to be on)

D-76 / ID11 fremkallingstabeller

05-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #68

bump ".......
05-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #69
Pentaxian

bump ".......
Why a bump after two years?