Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fujifilm sadness...

Fujifilm is killing off multi-packs for Velvia, and Superia 400 film. See: Fujifilm Killing Off More Films in 2018, and Things Look Grim

With how expensive Velvia is, I can't help but feel that this will just increase the pricing.

10-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Fujifilm is killing off multi-packs for Velvia, and Superia 400 film. See: Fujifilm Killing Off More Films in 2018, and Things Look Grim

With how expensive Velvia is, I can't help but feel that this will just increase the pricing.
I'm amazed they are still selling slide film at all.
10-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Haven't seen fresh multipacks of Superia 400 in stores for at least 6-months.
10-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I remember buying bricks of film (20) just to keep the same emulsion and consistent color for commercial work. Then I thought it was quaint when you could start buying half a brick (10 rolls). When it got down to "pro packs" of 5, I thought it was just a gimmick....who would only shoot 5 rolls? Whatʻs next, 12 exposure 35mm rolls?

Last edited by Alex645; 10-27-2017 at 03:28 PM.
10-27-2017, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I remember buying bricks of film (20) just to keep the same emulsion and consistent color for commercial work. Then I thought it was quaint when you could start buying half a brick (10 rolls). When it got down to "pro packs" of 5, I thought it was just a gimmick....who would only shoot 5 rolls? Whatʻs next, 12 exposure 35mm rolls?
I like 12 exposure rolls!

I'm surprised you can still fairly easily get 10 and 20 roll packs of film.

Although, for Velvia, you can only get it in 5 packs, at a good cost, and soon not even in 5 packs...

I'm just glad film production hasn't completely died.
10-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm amazed they are still selling slide film at all.
There are Diehard supporters of certain films...what they see in disneychrome I will never understand.
10-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There are Diehard supporters of certain films...what they see in disneychrome I will never understand.
Are you referring to Velvia?

10-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you referring to Velvia?
What else could I be referring to? Is there any other super-saturated film out there with even less regard to colour accuracy?
10-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I was reading about this yesterday. I had thought that 3-packs of 36-roll Superia 400 was discontinued last year, which is why I bought one to give it a try. I'd never tried Superia 400 until then and I've found I quite like it, but it was already hard to get in rolls of 36. I will try to get some now and stick it in the freezer but I'm not hopeful. I don't like rolls of less than 36 exposures because they cost the same to develop, whether colour in a lab or B&W at home (in terms of chemicals and also time) and are therefore much less economical.

Looks like Natura 1600 is also in it's last days. I have a couple of rolls that I bought in Tokyo in the summer and it was extremely difficult to find then, I was taken aback as I'd thought that in Tokyo I'd have no difficulty finding any Fuji films. I haven't tried it yet but will need to do so, but here it costs €15 a roll and for that cost I'll stick to pushing 400-speed B&W for my high-ISO film work.

There's never any good news regarding film from Fujifilm so none of this is surprising, though that doesn't make it any less disappointing.
10-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What else could I be referring to? Is there any other super-saturated film out there with even less regard to colour accuracy?
Having only shot Velvia 100, and not 50, I don't really think it is that super-saturated. Yes, the colors are more saturated than on other film. But they are still realistic.
10-28-2017, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Didn't you get the memo? We live in a disney world.
10-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Having only shot Velvia 100, and not 50, I don't really think it is that super-saturated. Yes, the colors are more saturated than on other film. But they are still realistic.
Sadly I am old enough to know that another's conflicting opinion doesn't negate my own. If it helps clearly Fujis chrome offerings are lasting far longer then others that have been on the market which speaks volumes for it's acceptance. However, with Kodak's possible reintroduction of their E100 slides, we may have another player in the market.
10-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Sadly I am old enough to know that another's conflicting opinion doesn't negate my own. If it helps clearly Fujis chrome offerings are lasting far longer then others that have been on the market which speaks volumes for it's acceptance. However, with Kodak's possible reintroduction of their E100 slides, we may have another player in the market.
As well as the new Ferrania E6 offerings, whenever they hit the market.

Phil.
10-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
As well as the new Ferrania E6 offerings, whenever they hit the market.

Phil.
Haven't tried any Ferrania film yet and more options is always better!
10-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji has discontinued many emulsions in the last decade.
They no longer offer any conventional black and white films.

How many years has it been since Fuji introduced a new film?
To me it appears they are gradually leaving the film business.

I am not optimistic about Ferrania.
I hope the new Ektachrome is a winner.

Chris