Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 04:46 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In a discussion about the outrageous prices for Leica equipment today it was pointed out that the ratio of their prices to the average German monthly wage is about the same as it was in the 1950s. Comparing my salary when I retired after 40 years to what I made at first, I realized how inflation skews our perceptions.

12-11-2017, 05:57 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
'58 low end car (new) price for a Ford was $2,100. Today, it's $22,000. Seems like we just need to add a zero to see how prices compare to today!
Not a true multiplier. Cars today all have fuel injection, multiple airbags, air conditioning, power steering, power windows, power brakes, computer monitoring and control systems, power locks, seat belts, sound systems, etc. My next door neighbor has a 1965 Oldsmobile Holiday. When you ride in it and see the steel dashboard, lack of seat belts etc it feels like you are in a death trap. Lots of interior room though.
12-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Not a true multiplier. Cars today all have fuel injection, multiple airbags, air conditioning, power steering, power windows, power brakes, computer monitoring and control systems, power locks, seat belts, sound systems, etc.
Batteries, electric motors and aps for your phone . . . along with solar panels and free charging stations here . . .
12-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Not a true multiplier. Cars today all have fuel injection, multiple airbags, air conditioning, power steering, power windows, power brakes, computer monitoring and control systems, power locks, seat belts, sound systems, etc. My next door neighbor has a 1965 Oldsmobile Holiday. When you ride in it and see the steel dashboard, lack of seat belts etc it feels like you are in a death trap. Lots of interior room though.
I still drive a '73 original VW Beetle, which makes the Olds sound safe. I consider the Beetle a "one crash" car, so you learn to be evasive.

12-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I still drive a '73 original VW Beetle, which makes the Olds sound safe. I consider the Beetle a "one crash" car, so you learn to be evasive.
I have one of those... in the words of the immortal John Muir (no, not that one, the other one...), “We would all drive more safely if we were strapped to the hoods of our cars like Aztec sacrifices...”

Driving it is like shooting with a K1000 but louder...

-Eric
12-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My parents bought a '69 Beetle, which was advertised at $1995.
IIRC they fought with the dealer who added $40 for undercoating.

My mom called it "a real coward's car". In view of the typical
big boats on the road then I understand what she meant.

Today many drive as if in a video game in which you get 3 lives.
Lucky for them modern cars are much more crash-safe than in the old days.

Chris
12-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Lucky for them modern cars are much more crash-safe than in the old days.
I know..in the old days when you hit a pedestrian in a 1974 holden statesman they stayed down.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.
12-12-2017, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I know..in the old days when you hit a pedestrian with a 1974 holden statesman they stayed down.
Even worse a '78 Lincoln Continental, I think? I took the picture at the Vancouver Auto Show in December 1977, so it's been 40 years memory is fading............

Phil.
12-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
a '78 Lincoln Continental

...whose door may weigh more than my entire Mazda.

Chris