Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #1

film body recommendation - EVERY lens OK

i searched in the forum for an answer, but didn't get a full one.

i want a film body that will let me control aperture of fa-j or da lenses from the body, but still work with every other older lens as the lenses were meant to function (or as they do on my k10d - i don't need open aperture metering, though it would be nice).

i know the pz-1/pz-1p is the usual recommendation since it functions much like the k10d, and the mz-5n/zx-5n is the other common suggestion (except it won't work right with fa-j/da type lenses).

however, i don't like the way the pz-1/pz-1p looks it's too ugly, but more importantly too big and bulky - it's just like my k10d, except super fugly. i want a more compact body that functions right with every lens i could find. is this possible? any mz/zx series? please don't say p-series, those are fugly too

i have a k1000, it is fine, i just can't control the aperture on my da lens. i don't need auto settings.

any ideas?

08-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
i searched in the forum for an answer, but didn't get a full one.

i want a film body that will let me control aperture of fa-j or da lenses from the body, but still work with every other older lens as the lenses were meant to function (or as they do on my k10d - i don't need open aperture metering, though it would be nice).

i know the pz-1/pz-1p is the usual recommendation since it functions much like the k10d, and the mz-5n/zx-5n is the other common suggestion (except it won't work right with fa-j/da type lenses).

however, i don't like the way the pz-1/pz-1p looks it's too ugly, but more importantly too big and bulky - it's just like my k10d, except super fugly. i want a more compact body that functions right with every lens i could find. is this possible? any mz/zx series? please don't say p-series, those are fugly too

i have a k1000, it is fine, i just can't control the aperture on my da lens. i don't need auto settings.

any ideas?
Considering that the image circle on the DA lenses generally won't cover the 35mm format, and while the FA-J lenses will, their corner sharpness is pretty poor, I'm wondering why you want this.
Don't answer.

Anyway, you need a camera that will control the aperture with on body controls. I think this limits you to a few of the PZ bodies.
Sorry.

However, any camera that offers either shutter preferred auto or programmed exposure control will allow you to use these lenses with correct operation in those two modes.
Think of the DA lenses as lenses that they put into A mode at the factory, and then took off the aperture ring.
A Super Program will work, you just won't have manual exposure control (but you can bias the automatic exposure with the ISO dial).
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aha!! That's exactly the question I was asking over the last year.

Why, you might ask? (Actually, the previous poster did ask but retracted...)

Because of the amazing FAJ 18-35, which offers sharp, contrasty, beautiful 18mm full frame images at an unbeatable price.

My answer to the OP -- the Pentax MZ-7. I am VERY pleased with this camera. It is really the film equivalent of my *ist DL. It has on-body aperture control.

One other advantage, the MZ-7 also has good TTL flash support, so my AF220T is a perfect match.
08-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote

however, i don't like the way the pz-1/pz-1p looks it's too ugly,
this is exactly why I have not bought one of these.

08-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

Based On Looks?

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
this is exactly why I have not bought one of these.
That's a shame because I think it is the best film body, all around, that Pentax produced. Sure, it looks kind of fugly but it fits my hand perfectly and performs superbly.
I think that filmamigo has it right. If the PZ series is too ugly to shoot, the MZ-7 would fit the bill. Nice body without the speed or some of the features of the PZ.
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The MZ-7 does look pretty good. I may have to go on a hunt for one.
08-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
would the zx-6 work similarly? it seems slightly higher-speced in appealing ways.

also, if you know more that would work, even though you don't think there the best, please let me know. however, i don't want the "crippled" mount ones that won't function acceptably with manual lenses.

08-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
hm, i've discovered that the zx-7 and zx-6 are pentamirror viewfinders, not pentaprism. d'oh! anybody know how bad is it? i know its obviously bigger than my dslr, but compared to the k1000 i have, or lx and super program i'm also thinking about, that's a let down.
08-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K100D and K200D have pentamirrors as well.

Saves cost and weight.

Yes, you lose a little something compared to the true pentaprism. But it's not like trying to see through a brick

My ZX-10 is smaller and lighter than my K100D, by quite a bit. Oh wait... I have a pic here somewhere...

K100D on the right, then ZX-10, then Program Plus.
08-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a body that can control everything, it does not exist. Lenses that come out in the future with HSM only will only owrk on K10D, K100Super and later bodies, BUT for every other lens, including power zoom lenses, and FA-J lenses, your best bet is a PZ-1 or PZ-1p.

This is quite possibly the best , most versitile film body pentax ever made, and if you have an *istD, K10D oer K20D you will feel right at home with the dual thumb wheels.

The PZ-1 also has a few benefits, such as 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 sync speed.

Only problem with these cameras is the lack if instant image review found on the DSLRs. The controls are so close to my DSLRs that I keep looking at the back of mine for the image to appear after I shoot
08-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Only problem with these cameras is the lack if instant image review found on the DSLRs. The controls are so close to my DSLRs that I keep looking at the back of mine for the image to appear after I shoot
After shooting with film bodies for a while when I switch back to digital for a while my right thumb whiffs the air where the film advance lever should be.....

You know, I sometimes wish they'd make a USB accessory for computers that emulates the old carriage return lever on manual typewriters.
08-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
After shooting with film bodies for a while when I switch back to digital for a while my right thumb whiffs the air where the film advance lever should be.....
Yeah...

I NEVER do that....

(looks at shoes)...

08-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Inactive Account

... most versitile film body pentax ever made, and if you have an *istD, K10D oer K20D you will feel right at home with the dual thumb wheels.
I've recently shot with a K100D and finally realized what everyone is missing with a single control. Placing the camera in Hyper Program and being able to toggle back and forth between AV and TV based on which wheel you are spinning is simply awesome. It's nice to be able to control the aperture in this manner. Or the shutter speed. But to control both at the same time simply by toggling fore and aft... brilliant.

I understand the PZ-1 ugly argument. I felt the same way. Then I used one.

The controls are so close to my DSLRs that I keep looking at the back of mine for the image to appear after I shoot
I do this...

when I switch back to digital for a while my right thumb whiffs the air ....
I kind of do this too... heh.

woof!
08-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never have that problem as all my 35mm have motors. All my manual advance cameras have cranks or knobs to advance the film, some more than one....
08-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Never have that problem as all my 35mm have motors. All my manual advance cameras have cranks or knobs to advance the film, some more than one....
Yeah, I have that problem too... you just can't hire any good help these days, they all turn out cranks or knobs... but it's good if you manage to get more than one for a camera, so if one gets too cranky you can always order the other one to do it.