Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 11:17 PM - 6 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Oil did the trick

I have repaired my Spotmatic F using the simple instructions in the video reply from Arnold in response #8 and thought that I should respond in case my experience is useful to other users.

I bought my Spotmatic F over the summer and was very excited to make it my go-to M-42 body until I discovered that the timing of the shutter failed at speeds 1/60 and lower. The video is quite clear about the use of oil on the cocking mechanism; however, I would like to add for clarity's sake, that the oil should be sparingly and carefully applied to the post of the large gear, the small gear next to it, and the winding lock. These areas appear to get sticky with time and the oil works to lubricate the posts. It is recommended that one use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean out some of the old gunk that is probably the source of the problem, prior to applying the oil. Use the alcohol carefully on a Q-tip and quickly wipe up any excess to avoid it running further into the camera. This alcohol is preferred as it dries quickly. Please also see this video for a similar perspective:

I used what is commonly referred to as sewing machine oil and is available at most sewing shops. Also, any excess oil was cleaned using a lint-free cotton rag. Good luck! Thanks to Arnold for posting the video.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 11-06-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Post made a thread of its own.