Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2017, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Asahi Pentar K - Value? (Yes, PentaR)

If anyone has any more info on this camera and a possible estimate of value I would appreciate some input. Its a 1958 Asahi Pentar K which was made just for South African Market and only produced for a short time which makes it a limited production run and very Rare. Its named Pentar as Zeiss Ikon still owned the rights to the Pentax name in South Africa. Collectiblend shows only 1 Pentar that sold for $1000 in bad condition. My issues is that I am not able to put a value to the camera as there is very little to no information on the Net. Any help would be appreciated

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
11-06-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Looks to be in a very nice condition! You can check camera review database for some guidance on prices Pentax K (Tower 29) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications. Reviews are from several years ago so I am sure prices have gone up.
11-06-2017, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice find!

Rare objects really have no set value -- it's all a matter of finding that special buyer who really values the item and has the money to pay. You could say the price all depends on whether copies of the object are rarer than the buyers of the object.

That said if a "bad condition" copy sold for $1000, a good condition copy might sell for much more (or it might sell for less if the richest collector of this item already bought one for $1000 and doesn't need another one).

It really is priceless in the sense of being with out a price.
11-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. There is literally nothing on the net about it other that what I found which I mentioned in my post. 😊

11-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Looks to be in a very nice condition! You can check camera review database for some guidance on prices Pentax K (Tower 29) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications. Reviews are from several years ago so I am sure prices have gone up.
I have seen a few Pentax K but not any Pentar K. Its a very Rare name variant the Pentar
11-06-2017, 11:04 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mods, this thread needs relocating to PentarForums.com!
11-06-2017, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! Great find.

11-06-2017, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I thought at first you had made a typo (Pentar vs. Pentax), but no! It really is a Pentar

This camera is in the category most commonly known as "Rare as rocking-horse poop." Is it in your possession looking to sell, or are you hoping to make it yours?

If it were mine, there is no way I would sell it - especially given the amount of film I can burn through when given the opportunity.
11-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I thought at first you had made a typo (Pentar vs. Pentax), but no! It really is a Pentar

This camera is in the category most commonly known as "Rare as rocking-horse poop." Is it in your possession looking to sell, or are you hoping to make it yours?

If it were mine, there is no way I would sell it - especially given the amount of film I can burn through when given the opportunity.
Yeah I was thinking that some might think its a typo and I needed to add the pics to just make sure I confirm its Pentar. I am hesitant to use the camera because its also in pristine/mint condition and being so rare I dont want to drop it or damage it. Catch 22 indeed
11-06-2017, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

First thing I would do with it is put a nice, secure camera strap on it.

If I had that, I do not think I could resist putting at least one roll of film through it. Use it to photograph things and people precious to you.
11-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
The camera aslo came with its original Leather case which helps to protect it.
11-06-2017, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Here is a pic of the case also
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
11-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #13

The Pentar name was used on Pentax S, K and H2 (S2) models in South Africa and some other smaller markets. Finland was probably one. The H2 model was also sold under two other names in South Africa! More information to be found at Frontpage - www.pentax-slr.com As for value, there is no answer to the question other than: What someone out there is willing to pay.
11-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was given a Phillipson fly rod as a retirement gift by a good friendof mine. It had belonged to his grandfather. As I researched it, I discovered that is a very rare vintage rod, made during a transition period of the company and not even found in any of their catalogs. I discovered that there are two others owned by collectors. I fish this rod every chance I get.

That camera of yours was built to make photographs and you can't take it with you. It probably won't put your kids through college either so I'd keep it in its protective case and run as many rolls of film through it as I could.
11-06-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very rare find indeed! That is, until you compare it to a black version . . .

Not mine but from the ASAHI OPTICAL HISTORICAL CLUB

You didn't say if the other one that sold for a $1000 was complete with lens and case which I am sure ups the price some more.
Closed Thread