Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like the pentax s which i just aquired. .also 1958. One on ebay with stuck mirror for $1200 12 watching no takers. I think one sold recently from isreal for about $800.

11-07-2017, 01:30 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, sorry can't helping with pricing as I know nothing about these rare machines... 1958 was a long time ago, well it seems so (my birth year).

Good luck with your sale.
11-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So are you looking to sell or just wanting to set a value?

The Pentar K is rare, I would assume in the range 800 to 1500 usd. There aren't many buyers out there, the really rare S seems now to sit on ebay for ages, one with asking price 1299$. A Rare Asahiflex H2, South Africa version of the S2, was sold for £246.

I would really have loved to have a Pentar in my collection, to be honest. And a Tower 29 (US sold K via Sears) with the Auto-Takumar 55mm f1.9 (yes 1.9).
11-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way: Pentar came in two versions: The Asahi Pentar and the Asahi Pentar K. The Asahi Pentar was the alias for Asahi Pentax S.

11-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
By the way: Pentar came in two versions: The Asahi Pentar and the Asahi Pentar K. The Asahi Pentar was the alias for Asahi Pentax S.
As pointed out in an earlier post, there were three versions of the Asahi H2 on the South African marked: Asahiflex H2, Pentar H2 and Penta Asahiflex H2! More on this on www.pentax-slr.com. Chapter Asahi Pentax 1957-1964.
So, there were at least three Pentar versions all together.
11-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richardsmithsa Quote
If anyone has any more info on this camera and a possible estimate of value I would appreciate some input. Its a 1958 Asahi Pentar K which was made just for South African Market and only produced for a short time which makes it a limited production run and very Rare. Its named Pentar as Zeiss Ikon still owned the rights to the Pentax name in South Africa. Collectiblend shows only 1 Pentar that sold for $1000 in bad condition. My issues is that I am not able to put a value to the camera as there is very little to no information on the Net. Any help would be appreciated
My advice is not to use this camera. I have a K model myself, and even though it had had a recent CLA, a shutter ribbon let go. If you have a similar failure due to age of glue and material, you will not have a "working" camera. It would be a different matter if repairs were easily procured.
03-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by richardsmithsa Quote
If anyone has any more info on this camera and a possible estimate of value I would appreciate some input. Its a 1958 Asahi Pentar K which was made just for South African Market and only produced for a short time which makes it a limited production run and very Rare. Its named Pentar as Zeiss Ikon still owned the rights to the Pentax name in South Africa. Collectiblend shows only 1 Pentar that sold for $1000 in bad condition. My issues is that I am not able to put a value to the camera as there is very little to no information on the Net. Any help would be appreciated
Sold one in 2003 for 1600 US Dollars

01-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #23

Hi Richard, I realize this is an old thread, but was curious if you still had this camera? Tx.
01-07-2023, 11:08 AM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think he's going to reply. He hasn't logged on in nearly 5 years.
Closed Thread