Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera Repair

So this morning I swung into my local camera store today for a couple of reasons: One I wanted to look at mono pods, and Two, I wanted to ask Rob, the owner, where he sends his used cameras for CLA before he puts them on the shelf.

Rob proceeds to tell me about John, so I gave John a call and drove over to his shop. John's been repairing cameras here in town since 1977 and was more than happy to give my LX and MG a good CLA.

Later today I was developing a roll of Agfa (very old stock) and I opened a drawer of my desk to grab a clip to hang the film. Sitting in the drawer I found an old business card from John dating to the mid 90's... Not sure how I overlooked that card the past month...

11-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm curious about the Agfa roll you developed as I developed a roll of Superpan 200 just a few days ago (Expired since '84 O.O) So what year and did you get good results?
11-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I'm curious about the Agfa roll you developed as I developed a roll of Superpan 200 just a few days ago (Expired since '84 O.O) So what year and did you get good results?
It’s APX 100, I purchased the 100’ roll in 1992 and the only time I pull it from the refrigerator is to roll 3 or 4 cassettes.

I haven’t scanned the negatives yet, but from experience, they look great. They look much better than the T Max roll I have which expired about 5 years ago.
11-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Rob proceeds to tell me about John, so I gave John a call and drove over to his shop. John's been repairing cameras here in town since 1977 and was more than happy to give my LX and MG a good CLA.
Where in Florida is John located? What is the name of his business?

11-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
Where in Florida is John located? What is the name of his business?
It’s Custom Camera Repair in Pensacola Florida. John Nover is the owner, repair tech. He told me my cameras should be ready early next week, roughly a 3 or 4 work day turn-over.

I’ll update here when I get them back.
11-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are so lucky having a CLA facility within easy driving distance.
11-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You are so lucky having a CLA facility within easy driving distance.
Especially since he’s less than 10 minutes from my house!
11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
John called me on Wednesday to tell me my cameras were ready, with good news and bad news.

Today I returned to town and picked them up. The good: My LX works like new. Cost was $80 for a full CLA.
My MG was a different story. John cleaned it up inside, but told me it wasn't worth repairing. The mirror box mechanism was in such bad shape it would cost me at least $150 for the repair. Since he cleaned it inside, it is working like it should, but it will be only a matter of time before it stops completely. He didn't charge me anything for it.

He'll be seeing my ME and at least one of my Spottys soon.