Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Seeking advice: DFA Zooms vignetting on film SLRs

I am considering getting the K-1 with DFA 28-105 next year.

However, I have a Z-20 (looking for a decent Z-1P) and a Super-A and I would like to have a 28-105 for them as well.

DFA 28-105 might kill two birds with a stone. I am aware that I lose AF but I dont mind using MF on the film bodies. I know I can control aperture directly with Z-20/Z-1 and indirectly with Super-A via Tv or just use plain P.

I have read the reviews about the DFA 28-105, also the official one here on PF and I am amazed by the amount of vignetting it shows, even stopped down. Obviously, this can be fixed easily in post if shooting digital.

But what about shooting film? I have my rolls developed and scanned at a good lab service; also, I wouldnt mind a bit of vignetting (I havent noticed it so far in the scans; dont know if they remove it).

The DFA 28-105 shows quite a lot of vignetting in the review, I would say. Has anybody used this zoom (or other DFA zooms) on film and can share experiences made regarding the vignetting?

Vignetting wouldnt be a deal-breaker, probably, because K-1 and DFA 28-105 is the kit I want to buy; however, it would be a bit of a pity if it couldnt be used decently on film, too.

Thanks a lot for opinions!

11-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if the curve of the film might offset the vignetting slightly?
11-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not having read the review you are referring to, and not having used the 28-105, I can't comment specifically regarding that lens. However I can say that vignetting is not uncommon at all with wide angle lenses, especially at wide open apertures. You have to remember that light is traveling much further to get to the film at the corners in a wide angle lens then it is in the center. Closing the aperture is usually the solution.

I have a wonderful Vivitar 28/1.9 from the screwmount era that vignettes like crazy until I close the aperture down to about f/4. The vignetting is quite obvious on film but I can usually reduce it quite well with a bit of dodging and burning while printing. Of course if you scan your negatives then Photoshop will take care of your problem quite easily.

Is the vignetting you are referring to in this review happening at the wide end of the zoom or throughout the entire focal range of the zoom?
11-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I tested the new 28-105mm alongside the FA 28-105mm, F 35-70, and FA 28-80 on the K-1, and the newer lens blew the others out of the water in terms of performance, especially for distant subjects. So, while I haven't gone back to film and tested the D FA, it can't be worse than film-era consumer zooms IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
however, it would be a bit of a pity if it couldnt be used decently on film, too.
If there was enough vignetting to bother you,
could you use a graduated ND filter?
11-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
@Pioneer: I was referring to the review of PF: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review - Vignetting | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The images show quite a lot of vignetting over the whole zoom range, disappearing stopped down. On the wide end, however, still quite pronounced. I just had the feeling that maybe older lenses didnt vignette so much; I might be wrong on that... lack of experience.

@timw4mail: what do you mean with the film curve?

@Adam: yes, I see the great performance and I believe it will perform great on film too, I am just a bit unsure about how to handle the vignetting on film, other that stopping down, of course. Probably with some post on TIFs, I guess.
11-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@timw4mail: what do you mean with the film curve?
I mean the fact that the film is never perfectly flat in the camera -- I'm not sure how that does or doesn't affect vignetting.
11-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If there was enough vignetting to bother you,
could you use a graduated ND filter?
Sorry for my ignorance, I really dont know: how does this eliminate vignetting?

11-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry for my ignorance, I really dont know: how does this eliminate vignetting?
It would be slightly dark in the center, fading out to clear at the edge.

These are the "center spot" type graduated ND's,
not the type where half the filter is darkened,
to compensate for an over-bright sky.

11-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I have only had my DFA28-105 for about 3 weeks but I don't see the vignetting as a significant issue. Most of the time I do not bother to correct it as I like the output I'm seeing as is. And certainly by the time its stopped down to f8 is a non issue anyway IMO (some vig at 105 but not much).

That said I know any amount of vignetting drives some people mad. If thats you then maybe its a problem for film (can easily be fixed for digital).
11-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am considering getting the K-1 with DFA 28-105 next year.
However, I have a Z-20 (looking for a decent Z-1P) and a Super-A and I would like to have a 28-105 for them as well.
But what about shooting film?
Just to add to the feedback: Yes, at 28mm wide open, you can expect vignetting. This is true of nearly all wide angle lenses wide open. Put a filter on it and you'll make things worse.

In terms of shooting 35mm film, I would expect slightly less vignetting with the Z-20 than the K-1. Digital sensors create pixel vignetting. The stacked pixels need the light to hit it as directly as possible, and when they don't due to a wide angle lens that is wide open, the angle of light hitting the corners and edges reduces the exposure. This is less apparent with film which is more forgiving.
11-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
@lytrytyr: I see. That's a good hint to remember!

@kiwi_jono: I am not particularly mad about vignetting. I just find the vignetting of the DFA quite pronounced, so that's why I am wondering if it comes through on film, too.

@Alex645: That's interesting. Seems like a nice advantage for film.

I think I will go this route (buying the DFA) and just see (it fits the K-1 anyway). I rarely see people writing about using the DFAs zooms on film so old glass seems to be of preference (due to autofocus, perhaps). However, for me, the new glass, as long as compatible with the film bodies is quite an alternative, as long as you dont mind manual focus.
11-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I rarely see people writing about using the DFAs zooms on film so old glass seems to be of preference (due to autofocus, perhaps).
Without getting technical, digital sensors require greater precision in optics and thus digital lenses are more expensive to produce.
Film is more forgiving and thus film lenses are not optimized for digital sensors.

So using a more expensive digital lens for film is an unnecessary expense, whereas using a film lens on digital will compromise IQ, albeit less expensive.

I have both so it'd be interesting to one day post a film vs. digital lens comparison with the same subject, same focal length, and doing one pair with 35mm color film and another with FF digital.
11-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D-FA 24-70 F2.8 on Pentax P3 with Fuji Across 100 Neopan.

Because of the limitations of camera + lens combo, the shots were done in P mode. The days were a sunny day, so I assume the lens was stopped down. I do not see any noticeable vignetting.
11-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
D-FA 24-70 F2.8 on Pentax P3 with Fuji Across 100 Neopan.

Because of the limitations of camera + lens combo, the shots were done in P mode. The days were a sunny day, so I assume the lens was stopped down. I do not see any noticeable vignetting.
Thanks, that helps a lot!