Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K2dmd trouble

Hi all, I just picked up a K2dmd in really nice condition. The only challenge is that the meter won't engage when the shutter button is half pressed to the detent, but will engage when the button is pressed a little more, but won't stay engaged when the extra pressure is released. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Seems like it should be a simple fix.
Also, should the meter needle move in auto mode? I think it stays at the top on my K2.
Is this a feature of the exposure lock function?

11-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you set the shutter to something long — say 2 seconds or so — and fire it, does it fire for the correct time or does it instead fire at the mechanical speed?
11-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fires at the correct speeds in manual and auto. Everything seems to work the way it should but I have to keep the shutter button pressed at all times for the meter to work.
11-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
Hi all, I just picked up a K2dmd in really nice condition. The only challenge is that the meter won't engage when the shutter button is half pressed to the detent, but will engage when the button is pressed a little more, but won't stay engaged when the extra pressure is released. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Seems like it should be a simple fix.
Also, should the meter needle move in auto mode? I think it stays at the top on my K2.
Is this a feature of the exposure lock function?
Exact same thing happened while I was using one of my K2DMD's a few years back.

What's supposed to happen is you cock the rapid-wind lever and press the shutter button half-way, the meter will turn on and stay on. But mine stopped working properly and when you took your finger off the shutter button the meter also turned off.

A trip to Eric's fixed the problem. This is what Eric indicated::

The advance detent is probably broken therefore not keeping the advance lever to the on position

Phil.

11-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Phil, I was sure someone else has had this problem. I removed the shutter button and played around with it a bit. I managed to turn it into a K1000 momentarily with the meter indicator always on but decided that wasn't a good solution.
11-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
I managed to turn it into a K1000 momentarily with the meter indicator always on but decided that wasn't a good solution.
So, treat it like one. Just keep the lens cap on when not in use
11-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah, no. I might sell it as is. It came free with an M 50 1.4 anyway. I have too many film bodies as it is