Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Banned

when are you going to stop playing around with these ME's and get a real M series camera?

08-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I suppose you have the MX in mind. I would like to have an MX, but certain factors have prevented me from buying one. First, a nice MX is harder to find than a nice ME or Super. Second, I do not shoot without either a winder or battery pack (I do not like grip-less cameras). As the MX drive is quite difficult to come by--especially in nice condition--I have been hampered in this regard. In fact, just recently I tried bidding on the lone MX drive that was on eBay. I bidded $70 and lost.

Also, since LR44/SR44 batteries are easy to obtain, the issue of having a battery powered camera is rather moot--especially since electronic shutters are more accurate than mechanical shutters. I have never understood the whole "rage against camera batteries" mentality. Actually, I could understand it if they are older, hard-to-find (i.e. mercury) batteries. Otherwise, I see no issue in having an extra battery (or two in the case of the ME and Super) on hand.

Last edited by zx-m; 08-29-2008 at 12:19 PM.
08-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
Banned

I agree, the winder MX is hard to find, very hard. I saw a brand new (unopened) still in plastic MX with all boxes and manuals and an MX winder in same condition on ebay not to long ago.. went for a hell of a price. somewhere around 450 bucks if memory serves me. there's a winder on ebay thats got 20h remaining at 18 bucks... located in Dublin, Ireland though. your best bet would be to look for an MX with winder. always check the marketplace here, thats where I got my MX and winder
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote

nope the MX was born in 1976, it was the LX that was a child of the 80's being born in 1980.
Thanks for the correction. I should have checked the actual release date before I posted. I was "in the market" for a new camera in 1982 and remembered that my options included both the Pentax MX and Pentax ME Super.

I passed on the MX because of price and bought a Ricoh XR7 in preference to the ME Super. The Ricoh had aperture-priority automation, full metered manual, aperture visible in the viewfinder, and DOF preview at a price point about $100 less than the ME Super. I also believe that it was the first camera to use an LCD display in the viewfinder (low power consumption). As luck would have it, the mail order dealer substituted a Pentax-M 50/1.7 for the Rikenon kit lens. What a deal.

I still have the Ricoh, though it was fatally injured a couple of months ago after an encounter with a defective Zenitar 16/2.8. I found a replacement XR7 two weeks ago on the "Bay" in good working order for $17.17 with two lenses thrown to the deal. I traded one of the lenses and $46 to the local camera repair for CLA and transplant of a a few body panels from my old body to the new and will pick up the refurb'ed XR7 as soon as I finish this post.

Steve

08-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I could not agree with you more, stevebrot. The Ricoh XR-7 (or Sears KS-2) is my K-mount body of choice. I would love having a shutter speed dial rather than the goofy, awkward buttons on the ME Super (this is my only knock on the Super). Also, having a wheel that goes way down to 16 seconds is a great feature, too. Again, as I have discussed above in regard to the MX, the XR-7/KS-2 is yet another body that is hard to find in nice shape. I had been looking for about a month (and probably saw the camera you bought on eBay), but every one of them had either a crack or ding. I await my XR-7 (and winder)...but it may not happen in my lifetime.

Glen
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #21
Banned

I just did a little research on the XR7, and I must say that's one damn fine camera.
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Shh...keep it quiet, as the XR-7/KS-2 is the great secret of the K-mounts. It is easily the best K-mount body.

08-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Banned

oh sorry don't want to be the reason the prices for Ricoch's go through the roof, and glen never gets his...
08-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I appreciate your regards, seamuis.

There was a Ricoh/Sears winder on eBay about a week ago...selling for almost nothing, too. I almost bought it, but then thought: what if I never find a nice XR-7/KS-2 body?...will my winder be a life-long orphan?

Also, the Ricoh SLR was one of those cameras that usually (if not always) had the silly JMDC "passed" sticker mounted in the worst possible place: on the side of the prism. Thus, finding one wherein the original owner had the sense to remove the sticker would make the search even more difficult. I mention this because--especially on a black camera--those stickers leave a nasty oval shadow when removed (even when properly and carefully done with Goo Gone).

Glen
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I picked up my XR7 at from the shop and it looks really good. The fun part is that the eBay item came complete with a "hippy" strap. Gotta find a replacement for that...

My apologies to the OP for not suggesting the Ricoh. Of the Pentax bodies, I would advise the MX. Of K-mount bodies in general, the Ricoh XR7 or XR2s would be my top picks based on feature set and price used. The only caution is the availability of parts and service manuals for repair.

Steve
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks all for all this very usefull info...
I will keep my eye out for an MX, and XR7 or KS-2 then!
08-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As I have mentioned above, the XR-7s and KS-2s are nice, if you can find them. The ME Super has served me very well. The MX is perhaps even nicer than the ME Super--especially if you do not mind shooting without an optional drive or winder. The ME is a true bargain, and a capable camera. ME-series winders are relatively cheap and readily available. One frequent contributor to this forum really enjoys the freedom offered by the ME's aperture priority configuration.

Last edited by zx-m; 08-29-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
08-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW: I have an unmarked Winder MX in fully-operating condition on my For Sale table. All hinges, battery doors, buttons, etc. are in perfect condition; manual included.

I also have a Pentax part that allows you to convert the Winder MX to cable operation by replacing the shutter release button. This was a Pentax Repair Facility operation and requires soldering wires.

PM me if there is any interest in these items -

Paul
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Paul,

PM sent.

Glen
08-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #30
Banned

im not gonna purchase it (Im pretty dang sure glen wants it) but do you have photos of the winder? id like to see the conversion kit, I have never heard of that.