Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

Which M series body?

I would like to invest in a film body and I am interested in the M series, mostly because they are compact, simple, and they were produced roughly at the same time I was...
Anyways, I was wondering which one you would recommend.
From what I have seen, the ME super gets most of the votes. But isn't the difference between the ME super and the other Ms only the fact that you have the choice between Aperture priority and full Manual?
With my DSLR I am almost always shooting with Aperture priority (unless it is an old lens, in which case I use the M mode) and with a film body I would always be at aperture priority so I just want something that would expose properly.
Would any of the M bodies work? Are there some that I should stay away from? Some that I should look for?

Thank you for your help!

08-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The MX manual

The ME aperture priority

The ME Super can do both

The only ones I would stay away from are the MV and MG's
08-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The only ones I would stay away from are the MV and MG's
What's wrong with those?
08-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that only the MX has DOF preview and aperture in viewfinder.

See http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/M/index.html for more information.

The MX would be my personal choice for an M-series Pentax body. No exposure automation, but includes both aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder, has DOF preview, AND IS A FULLY MECHANICAL CAMERA. (Will still work with no batteries)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2008 at 12:39 PM.
08-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note that only the MX has DOF preview.

See Pentax M-Series Film Bodies for more information.

The MX would be my personal choice for an M-series Pentax body. No exposure automation, but includes both aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder AND IS A FULLY MECHANICAL CAMERA. (Will still work with no batteries)

But that would force you to carry a light meter with you at all time... I know that people were okay with that for quite some times, but I am a child of the 80s, I am not too interested in the light meter thing.
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
But that would force you to carry a light meter with you at all time...
Not so. The MX has a built-in meter, but it does not require batteries to operate the camera itself. (The shutter is fully mechanical)

Steve

BTW...The MX is a child of the '80s as well...
08-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

+1 for MX if you enjoy using manual everything. And it takes common batteries so you should never need a separate meter if the camera works properly.

The ME (Super) would be a better choice if you like Av mode, and don't need the DoF preview

Oh, the MV and MG were fully automatic in exposure modes (if I remember right).

08-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I vote for the MX..

I've always appreciated the 5 L.E.D.'s that are used for the metering system in the viewfinder..

Also, other than the LX, it has the second brightest viewfinder ever designed into a Pentax camera..It has one of the brightest viewfinders ever designed into an SLR from any company..Even with my tired 54 year old eyes I find the MX's viewfinder easy to use..

There is much to be said for simplicity..My MX is a breath of fresh air after my K10D's complexity..

Bruce
08-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My only beef with the ME Super is that it does not display the aperture in the viewfinder.

That is the main reason why I bought a Ricoh XR7 in 1982 rather than the ME Super. (I could not afford an MX...)

Steve
08-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Another vote for the MX. As was previously pointed out it has a bright viewfinder. Since it has interchangeable viewscreens, you can put in one of the LX screens and it's even brighter. This was the Pentax pro camera until the LX came out and is totally mechanical (except for the meter). If the battery goes, you can still use the Rule of F16 to keep shooting.

CW
08-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not so. The MX has a built-in meter, but it does not require batteries to operate the camera itself. (The shutter is fully mechanical)

Steve

Looks like the MX is the winner then!

What is a good price for a body in good working conditions?
08-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
Looks like the MX is the winner then!

What is a good price for a body in good working conditions?
I was recently pricing these and it seems that they go at auction somewhere between $70 and $135. My local camera dealer has a couple CLA'd with a 1 year warranty for $225 - $250. KEH has one in EX condition for $225.

Steve
08-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

A comment was made above in regard to using a light meter. For years, I held the same view: no light meter for me. I finally bought a light meter, and am very glad I did. A light meter can be extremely useful. You would be surprised how often a camera's meter is not quite correct. In situations where the subject is very bright or very dark, a light meter is invaluable. I have found it useful in other situations, too. No matter the situation, though, I always bring along my meter.

PS: Out of all the cameras I have owned, the ME Super has the most accurate meter.
08-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
Banned

well if you want manual and Av then Id say the MEsuper all the way (or you can be different and get an ME-F like I did.) but as per my vote, MX all the way. I love mine more than I can describe, its an amazing camera in every respect, solid as a rock. the 5 LED light meter is simple and easy to understand and you'll never know just how important it is to have DOF preview until you've used it and then not had it on another camera.

QuoteQuote:
nope the MX was born in 1976, it was the LX that was a child of the 80's being born in 1980.
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Indeed, the MX has some nice features. I thought I would add that one can have something of a DOF preview with the ME, ME Super and other Pentax bodies. I use M42 screwmount lenses exclusively. Thus, I must stop down before firing the shutter. Hence, I have a DOF preview in doing this.

The ME Super is an "80s child" (introduced in 1980), and the original ME debuted in '76. I would not discount the regular ME by any means. ME bodies can be had at about half the cost of ME Super bodies. The lack of full manual operation is somewhat limiting--however, the camera does have exposure compensation, and so one is able to adjust the exposure setting up to two full stops (+/-). With this in mind, I recently picked up an ME. Mine is the SE version (same basic camera, different leatherette and split-image position). I bought the camera and lens (50/2 M) for a whopping $51.