Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,

A bit late to this thread but I’ve been an MX user for over 20 years and have a few thoughts. The MX is a great little camera but little is the operative word here. If you have average or large hands you will probably find it too small. The answer is the difficult to find MX winder discussed above. Once attached this winder seems to complete the MX outfit for me. The winder is not without its flaws however. The foam in these units which line the battery compartment turns to goo after 20 years or so and will probably need replacement. It appears to be the same material used in the camera seals and is subject to the same degradation. Worse still the battery compartment door has to be the poorest design I have ever encountered. It is very fragile and difficult to open. These doors damage easily and will often be broken. You should be aware of these factors before buying used. This looks like a thorough trashing of the MX winder but I wouldn’t be without it. The camera seems incomplete without it. If you can find a good one you won’t regret the purchase.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 09-05-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #32

Original Poster
I just got an MX! It came with a 40-80 M zoom... I don't know what that's worth, but i love the camera...
I am going to go have fun with it right now!
thanks for your help!
10-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #33
Banned

congratulations! hoping all is well with the light seals and foam! you will love this camera I have no doubts about that. it has a simple elegance and presence that no other camera can match. best 35mm camera Pentax ever produced in my opinion.

your lens is ..... well its 'ok' I have a copy of that lens, it was hard to figure out at first. its relatively sharp (for a consumer grade lens) and the 'macro' mode has its uses from time to time. like most early pentax zooms it can suffer pretty badly from 'zoom creep'. I however don't use mine much because the one drawback is a biggie. it has a rotating front element. this is of no consequence with most filters, but if you use a polarizer its a no-go.

but hey you bought this for the MX not the lens, so enjoy!
10-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
But that would force you to carry a light meter with you at all time... I know that people were okay with that for quite some times, but I am a child of the 80s, I am not too interested in the light meter thing.
Whilst the MX doesn't have any automation, it does have TTL metering using a traffic light system in the viewfinder. Very easy to use and to apply over-riding of metering when required. An excellent camera with a large, bright viewfinder, only beaten in my view by the LX in Pentax film cameras.

Regards
John

10-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #35

Original Poster
First impressions: Awesome!
The viewfinder is just amazing. The camera is very easy to use.
I just pt my first roll of film in there and switched to my M 50/1.7 right away.
Seams like an awesome combo... Can't wait to see what the pictures turn out like!