Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Z1P

On my Pentax Z1P, LCD panel and Viewfinder indications are displayed properly but the moment I press the shutter button, the low battery warning starts blinking,shutter can not be released and all indications (except low battery) in the lcd panel disappear. 6V lithium battery installed in the camera is new. Any help, please.

12-22-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion would be to try another battery type, perhaps alkaline.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also try alkaline and when you change it, be sure to check the contacts for dirt or corrosion.
12-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pz-1p won't take alkaline batteries (only accepts a single 2CR5). I would check it with another battery to begin with. It sound's like the battery may be marginal and when called on to provide current, it's giving up the ghost. Even though new you may have a bad battery, or the contacts have tarnished and it's not making good contact. Try cleaning both battery and camera contacts with a soft eraser and then isopropyl (91 or 99%) alcohol.

Check to see if the mirror is down. I've had a battery which was at the end of its life, partially trip the mirror and go dead. When I put in a new battery, the camera wouldn't work until I manually returned the mirror (very carefully) to its up position.

Let us know if you have any success.

12-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I remember right, all of those lithium batteries tend to fail in ugly ways when they get low. They don't often give an indication that they are on their way out - stuff just stops.

I've also noticed a number of the ones I've bought recently have been terrible... whether through poor manufacturing, storage, or something else, they aren't always giving very long life... while sometimes I've been able to blame the camera (goodbye beat-up ZX-5), other times it has been a bogus battery, so I would also try another one... maybe one from a different shop, brand, or at least lot number...

-Eric
12-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, all of you for your prompt responses. The battery is Varta 6v lithium and on voltage meter it shows full 6v power. It works fine on my Z-70. However, I am getting Sanyo lithium one and shall try it shortly. I have cleaned camera and battery contacts. The mirror position is down, as it should be, prior to firing the shutter. The specifications on Operating Manual says- battery exhaution symbol blinks when the shutter is locked and no indication on the right hand edge of the view finder. In my case the battery symbol keeps blinking- could it be a case of shutter locked ?
12-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by HansrajVyas Quote
Thanks, all of you for your prompt responses. The battery is Varta 6v lithium and on voltage meter it shows full 6v power. It works fine on my Z-70. However, I am getting Sanyo lithium one and shall try it shortly. I have cleaned camera and battery contacts. The mirror position is down, as it should be, prior to firing the shutter. The specifications on Operating Manual says- battery exhaution symbol blinks when the shutter is locked and no indication on the right hand edge of the view finder. In my case the battery symbol keeps blinking- could it be a case of shutter locked ?
Most volt meters don't measure voltage under load. I've seen it a number of times with Li Ion batteries, because their usage curve is so flat. It's akin to the old mercury cells.

12-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I shall recheck on other meter. I have new Varta and Sanyo batteries and my Z-70 Pentax slr which uses the same battery, operates perfectly with them.
12-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #9

This just happened to me too with lithium batteries in my Zx5 and the battery meter showed the batteries at 80% capacity. Different batteries did the trick.

12-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Probably the last battery you had went flat when it failed, locking the shutter. I had that happen one time also, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I may have switched the camera to bulb and tripped the shutter (with a new known-to-be-good battery)??? Chances are, just a good battery will fix this issue on power up, but you may have to play with the camera a bit to free the shutter (don't attempt to touch the shutter or move it manually!).

A new lithium battery for the PZ-1p should show more than 6 Volts (6.5-6.7V). I usually stick with brand name batteries from good sources. Lithium batteries should have a long shelf life, but you never know for sure how long they have been sitting around. The open circuit voltage needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because it can fall significantly when the battery is placed under a load. That's why some in-camera battery meters don't work that well. When the camera is turned on and pulling little current, the battery may appear to be ok, but when the film/shutter motors kick in, the battery just gives up dropping its output voltage to next to nothing (and locking up the mechanism). Some cameras are more power hogs than others and a battery that works in one camera won't hack it in another.
12-24-2017, 04:18 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Probably the last battery you had went flat when it failed, locking the shutter. I had that happen one time also, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I may have switched the camera to bulb and tripped the shutter (with a new known-to-be-good battery)??? Chances are, just a good battery will fix this issue on power up, but you may have to play with the camera a bit to free the shutter (don't attempt to touch the shutter or move it manually!).

A new lithium battery for the PZ-1p should show more than 6 Volts (6.5-6.7V). I usually stick with brand name batteries from good sources. Lithium batteries should have a long shelf life, but you never know for sure how long they have been sitting around. The open circuit voltage needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because it can fall significantly when the battery is placed under a load. That's why some in-camera battery meters don't work that well. When the camera is turned on and pulling little current, the battery may appear to be ok, but when the film/shutter motors kick in, the battery just gives up dropping its output voltage to next to nothing (and locking up the mechanism). Some cameras are more power hogs than others and a battery that works in one camera won't hack it in another.
Thanks for detailed response. My new Sanyo battery shows 6.5 v. I shall keep trying as suggested by you.