Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skilpent Quote
Thanks Steve, I must make a mental note to look in the mirror more often!
To chickentender, I alas cannot agree to the ¨simply a black box¨ label - while the body does not lend a character to the result of the lens and film combination, it does enable the photographer to exploit their abilities as well as to introduce the photographer´s skills and creativity. Each feature, be it metering, MLU, DoF, stability, etc. adds to the resources.
So, besides a 1/2000 shutter speed and interchangeable viewfinders, what’s the difference, on the film, between a K2DMD and LX? Both have aperture priority, DOF preview, MLU, self-timer, etc. There’s an experience quality or characteristic, but at the end of the day, it’s just a light-tight box.

04-09-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
So, besides a 1/2000 shutter speed and interchangeable viewfinders, what’s the difference, on the film, between a K2DMD and LX? Both have aperture priority, DOF preview, MLU, self-timer, etc. There’s an experience quality or characteristic, but at the end of the day, it’s just a light-tight box.
I think the LX is actually more common than the K2DMD.

More seriously, though, the big advantage the LX has is for metering long exposures.
04-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K2DMD has a built-in viewfinder blind . . .
04-09-2018, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I think the LX is actually more common than the K2DMD.

More seriously, though, the big advantage the LX has is for metering long exposures.
I own both, I get it that there are advancements and differences in materials and technical specifications. At the end of the day, f2.8 at 1/500th with the same lens and film on both bodies is going to give you the same result and will be indistinguishable on a print or scan. It all comes down to how much you do or don’t enjoy the relationship you have with the box holding and exposing your film.

04-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It all comes down to how much you do or don’t enjoy the relationship you have with the box holding and exposing your film.
This is probably the best explanation I've ever seen or heard for why so many of us feel so much like the box does make a difference. I can take pictures with any camera but I feel more inspired with an ME Super or LX in my hands because my relationship with them has been long and beautiful. I got the ME Super in about 1984 when I was 13 years old. It was my first 35mm camera. I got an LX sometime around 1992 and took thousands of slides with it before selling it along with all of my other film gear when I converted to digital in 2002. Now I have about half of the Pentaxes from the AP thru the LX and the ME Super and LX are still my favorites.
04-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
This is probably the best explanation I've ever seen or heard for why so many of us feel so much like the box does make a difference. I can take pictures with any camera but I feel more inspired with an ME Super or LX in my hands because my relationship with them has been long and beautiful. I got the ME Super in about 1984 when I was 13 years old. It was my first 35mm camera. I got an LX sometime around 1992 and took thousands of slides with it before selling it along with all of my other film gear when I converted to digital in 2002. Now I have about half of the Pentaxes from the AP thru the LX and the ME Super and LX are still my favorites.
For the most part, anything with a film advance lever, mechanical dials, metal, and the smooth inner workings of a fine watch. Hold the plastic, whine of film advance motors and the sound of autofocus. I’ll tolerate AF when the subject is moving children. I like the results of the 645n over 35mm, but the noise of that shutter and film advance...Really looking forward to getting my CLAed 6x7 MLU from Eric. The feeling of the resistance of the film and shutter reset against your thumb and the metal dials sinkining into their detents for each shutter speed or aperture setting...

I have an ME Super my inlaws bought to take baby pictures of my wife, born in ‘83. The sound and feel of that film advance lever and shutter is so gratifying.
04-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Yup. If we're comparing a K2DMD, an old Brownie, and a homemade pinhole camera, that'd be one thing... But all the cameras that share a lens mount produce similar images - they have to, that's why they share a lens mount. An exception might be something like that magnanimous LX meter - I know specifically which night shots I've taken with it on auto because I didn't spend a bunch of time calculating exposure with a cable release and that experience itself sticks with me. But I'm the only one that would know that.

There's nothing inherently, like you say, "this camera" or "that camera" about the final frame that is shot in just about every case. Absolutely some cameras get my juices flowing (excuse the metaphor) more than others and spur me toward something more, but again, when I look back through scans or negatives years later it's only the odd image out of 100 that can immediately say "I took that with this" (of images made with the same format and lens selections). It's just the way it is.

---------- Post added 04-10-18 at 12:05 AM ----------

I like the results of the 645n over 35mm, but the noise of that shutter and film advance...
It's a strange one isn't it? Never gel'd with me either. I like using the camera well enough, but yeah... that advance *still* sounds weird to me. I think that has a LOT to do with why I really only shoot it for utilitarian purposes or gigs... I don't bring it out for casual "pleasure" shooting or personal projects, or very rarely at least. It feels more impersonal.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-10-2018 at 12:06 AM.
04-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
There's nothing inherently, like you say, "this camera" or "that camera" about the final frame that is shot in just about every case. Absolutely some cameras get my juices flowing (excuse the metaphor) more than others and spur me toward something more, but again, when I look back through scans or negatives years later it's only the odd image out of 100 that can immediately say "I took that with this" (of images made with the same format and lens selections). It's just the way it is.[COLOR="Silver"]
All of the 'metal bodied' Pentax SLRs I've had have been very similar, there are few difference with the results. The LX is different though, it feels better built, everything operates more smoothly & more positively. It has a longer pressure plate to keep the film flatter and longer rails for it to run along. It just feels nicer to shoot and is exactly the right size (the MX is too small for me - the shutter speed dial is very awkward to use with the camera at my eye.

John.
04-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
All of the 'metal bodied' Pentax SLRs I've had have been very similar, there are few difference with the results. The LX is different though, it feels better built, everything operates more smoothly & more positively. It has a longer pressure plate to keep the film flatter and longer rails for it to run along. It just feels nicer to shoot and is exactly the right size (the MX is too small for me - the shutter speed dial is very awkward to use with the camera at my eye.

John.
Yup. I'd agree with that wholehearted. Except I also love the MX personally, just not quite as much as the LX. Different strokes...
But I cannot tell, in almost every case, which camera shot which image between the two.
04-10-2018, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote

John.
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yup. I'd agree with that wholehearted. Except I also love the MX personally, just not quite as much as the LX. Different strokes...
But I cannot tell, in almost every case, which camera shot which image between the two.
I have all three - the KX, MX, and LX - and enjoy them all. Ultimately, it's comparable to interchangeable backs on a medium format camera. I have something different loaded in each one and sometimes take a three lens, three body kit.
04-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I have all three - the KX, MX, and LX - and enjoy them all. Ultimately, it's comparable to interchangeable backs on a medium format camera. I have something different loaded in each one and sometimes take a three lens, three body kit.
Hahaha. Me too. We just took a trip to the coast and rather than deliberating over which films and which lenses to bring, I loaded small padded cube in the pack with the 4 cameras that currently had film in them, with a different-ish lens on each. Done.
04-10-2018, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K2DMD has a built-in viewfinder blind . . .
While I think that the original question was a rhetorical one, not asking for the technical differences between the K2DMD and the LX, and your answer was tongue in cheek anyway, I did see (I think in an LX review here) someone seriously complaining about this lack in the LX.

Just in case anyone reading this is concerned about it, and for the record, the LX has no viewfinder blind because it does not need one. A blind is needed to stop light reaching exposure metering photocells positioned up by the focussing screen when you are using the camera eg on a tripod without your eye to the viewfinder (which normally shades external light). The LX photocell however is not by the focussing screen, it is in tha base of the camera reading off the film surface during the exposure. In fact the mirror, being up at the time, is the viewfinder blind.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 04-10-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
04-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Found a KX (which looks in good condition) on goodwill earlier today if you want to add to you collection lol

Asahi Pentax KX Film Camera w/Pentax Lens - shopgoodwill.com
04-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K2DMD is a keeper. OTOH I sold my LX several years ago.

Chris
04-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I'm also a fan of aperture priority, but perhaps fully manual is better for a beginner?

Fair enough, but as far as fully-manual Pentax cameras go, it's difficult to beat the KX. The MX, for example, lacks the Depth-of-field preview.
The MX does have depth of field preview. It is the timer lever pushed towards the lens.