Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for getting the KX.

Phil.

01-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
We don’t see anything faster than 1/2000 until you get into the plastic bodies and gears that don’t last and aren’t readily repairable anymore.
I agree that the MZ/ZX series are prone to failure, but the PZ-1 and PZ1-p seem to be doing just fine.
01-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My comment about shutter speed wasn’t specific to the KX, but to Pentax in general.
Ok...so it was an off-topic comment on a thread having little to do with shutter speed. Perhaps a new thread might be in order where Pentax film models might be compared to market competition (features and price point).

Steve
01-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

My comment about shutter speed wasn’t specific to the KX, but to Pentax in general. We don’t see anything faster than 1/2000 until you get into the plastic bodies and gears that don’t last and aren’t readily repairable anymore. A twist of a shutter speed dial is certainly faster than swapping ND filters. We’re talking Pentax here, not a $5,000 Leica M-P with a max speed of 1/1000 compared to, as mentioned, the Voigtlander’s 1/2000 and being cheaper than both Leica and Zeiss.
If only the fastest shutter will do, your option is pretty much an MZ-S, which doesn't share as many flaws with the MZ series as its name would suggest.

01-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Several camera models with mechanical shutter are capable of 1/2000 second.
The only mechanical model I am aware of capable of 1/4000 is the Nikon FM2n.
The FM2n I owned had by far the loudest shutter of any camera I have ever used.

In my experience 1/1000 maximum shutter speed is not a serious limitation.
I avoid super high speed films and own neutral density filters in all sizes.
If I often needed to stop extreme fast action I'd probably shoot digital.

Chris
Confirm noisy, but so are the earlier FM series!

---------- Post added 01-02-18 at 07:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ambulatingreader Quote
Hi all, new member here. I'm getting back into film after over 20 yrs of maybe 5 rolls on my Olympus XA ( purchased in 1987, still works). I have an old K1000 that worked fine in 1995, but probably could lose a CLA. It has the SMC M 1:2 50mm standard lens.I'll be mainly shooting outdoors, landscape, etc. My XA has the flash for indoor shots, nothing elaborate.
While perusing eBay, I saw a Pentax KX body for $95 plus shipping. Being sold by elkinsparkcamera. The description is as follows:

"The item offered here is a classic Asahi Pentax KX 35mm SLR camera body in excellent working and cosmetic condition. Our in-house camera technician serviced this top quality camera body: complete cleaning, new light seals & mirror pads, fully tested. The light meter reads correctly, and all other camera functions are in operational condition. The viewfinder is pristine with no dirt, dust or scratch markings at all. The camera body/ leatherette finishes are vey clean, showing only minor wear/ age markings. There is a small dent on the left end of the the top cover under the rewind lever. (Not really visible from the pics. The description of cosmetic shape is accurate.) There is a 30 day warranty against operational defects."

So, you long term Pentax fans, does this sound like a good deal? The seller has 100% rating, if that really means anything. Any experience with this seller?
I'm thinking that I could have 2 Pentax bodies with different lenses. Maybe shoot color with one, B+W with the other. I am a rank beginner, and will not be processing my film. I could eventually send the K1000 to the highly recommended Eric H. for a CLA and have 2 cameras that will probably last me the rest of my life, as I just turned 70. Any opinions/ advice appreciated. Thanks in advance. Walt in Seattle.
I’d use the K1000 till it fails ( independent of KX) and get a 35 or 28mm. My K1000 are all going ok with only foam replacement needed Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions
01-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
If only the fastest shutter will do, your option is pretty much an MZ-S, which doesn't share as many flaws with the MZ series as its name would suggest.
The Pz-1 / Pz1-p has a faster shutter (1/8000) than the MZ-S (1/6000). The MZ-S also seems to share the same dreaded plastic mirror gear that is the achilles heel of the MZ / ZX series, though there are less reports of failed MZ-S cameras than the more common MZ bodies.
01-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
The Pz-1 / Pz1-p has a faster shutter (1/8000) than the MZ-S (1/6000). The MZ-S also seems to share the same dreaded plastic mirror gear that is the achilles heel of the MZ / ZX series, though there are less reports of failed MZ-S cameras than the more common MZ bodies.
I stand corrected The jury's out on if there is the plastic mirror gear or not on the MZ-S.

That said, an MZ-S just feels better built than a Pz-series camera. It's built more like current Pentax DSLRs.

More on topic, the KX is arguably the best K-series camera (K2 DMD maybe being superior, but also fairly rare), and the only real quirk is that requires the advance lever partially cocked to activate the light meter.

01-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

More on topic, the KX is arguably the best K-series camera (K2 DMD maybe being superior, but also fairly rare), and the only real quirk is that requires the advance lever partially cocked to activate the light meter.
I've never warmed to the KX, but I love the K2DMD. I'm an aperture-priority type. I've never tried a MZ-S (too expensive) but the PZ-1 is surprisingly intuitive... and a much better value than the MZ-S in my opinion. Flagship AF film body for under $100.
01-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
I've never warmed to the KX, but I love the K2DMD. I'm an aperture-priority type. I've never tried a MZ-S (too expensive) but the PZ-1 is surprisingly intuitive... and a much better value than the MZ-S in my opinion. Flagship AF film body for under $100.
I'm also a fan of aperture priority, but perhaps fully manual is better for a beginner?

Fair enough, but as far as fully-manual Pentax cameras go, it's difficult to beat the KX. The MX, for example, lacks the Depth-of-field preview.
01-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm also a fan of aperture priority, but perhaps fully manual is better for a beginner?

Fair enough, but as far as fully-manual Pentax cameras go, it's difficult to beat the KX. The MX, for example, lacks the Depth-of-field preview.
Maybe you just forgot or haven't spent enough time with the MX as it has dof preview. What it doesn't have is MLU.
01-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Back to the OP's request, I'd say Yes, go for it. I've long been a big fan of the KX. It's one of Pentax's most capable workhorse cameras. Its only deficiency, if you can call it one, is a lack of a motor drive or winder option. But I've never really missed it when I'm out shooting with mine.
01-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
if you can call it one, is a lack of a motor drive or winder option. But I've never really missed it when I'm out shooting with mine.
Yep until the K2DMD came out the previous motor drive cameras (Spotmatic, KX & KM) were a dedicated special order body with the motor drive couplings on the bottom. These bodies were rare and I've only seen one KX Motor Drive camera in person.

Phil.
02-03-2018, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #28

Your post is a month old now, so I'm sure you've already made your decision one way or the other.
If it were my money, I'd go for it. The seller looks good. Good enough that I've subscribed to his listings.

The KX is, as far as I'm concerned, the best of the "big" Pentax SLRs. (As opposed to the "small" ME/MX models.) Same form factor as the much-recommended K1000, but with better build quality and the additional features that you would expect in a higher-end SLR. And not much difference in cost on the used market.

(The K2 is supposed to be "better," but I've owned 2 and handled two others, and every one had issues with the poorly designed ASA ring. I'd avoid that model like the plague.)

Last edited by Greydog; 02-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.
02-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ambulatingreader Quote
Hi all, new member here. I'm getting back into film after over 20 yrs of maybe 5 rolls on my Olympus XA ( purchased in 1987, still works). I have an old K1000 that worked fine in 1995, but probably could lose a CLA. It has the SMC M 1:2 50mm standard lens.I'll be mainly shooting outdoors, landscape, etc. My XA has the flash for indoor shots, nothing elaborate.
While perusing eBay, I saw a Pentax KX body for $95 plus shipping. Being sold by elkinsparkcamera. The description is as follows:

"The item offered here is a classic Asahi Pentax KX 35mm SLR camera body in excellent working and cosmetic condition. Our in-house camera technician serviced this top quality camera body: complete cleaning, new light seals & mirror pads, fully tested. The light meter reads correctly, and all other camera functions are in operational condition. The viewfinder is pristine with no dirt, dust or scratch markings at all. The camera body/ leatherette finishes are vey clean, showing only minor wear/ age markings. There is a small dent on the left end of the the top cover under the rewind lever. (Not really visible from the pics. The description of cosmetic shape is accurate.) There is a 30 day warranty against operational defects."

So, you long term Pentax fans, does this sound like a good deal? The seller has 100% rating, if that really means anything. Any experience with this seller?
I'm thinking that I could have 2 Pentax bodies with different lenses. Maybe shoot color with one, B+W with the other. I am a rank beginner, and will not be processing my film. I could eventually send the K1000 to the highly recommended Eric H. for a CLA and have 2 cameras that will probably last me the rest of my life, as I just turned 70. Any opinions/ advice appreciated. Thanks in advance. Walt in Seattle.
The Kx is my one digital camera and it’s great but I find myself having more fun with my XA (I got it for my 21st birthday)
By now you’ve probably made your decision (I hope it works out for you) but I just wanted to add to the thread. Anyone that’s an XA fan and a Pentax fan is tops in my book.
02-09-2018, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Well, I'm a fan of both Pentax and the XA -- I mean, who wouldn't be who've used both? But as I've advanced in years and have had the opportunity to use some of the best cameras made by several different manufacturers, I no longer play the "this camera is better than that camera" game. They all have valuable features and characteristics that make each a valuable photographic tool in its own right. But I can't help but have favorites, and with Pentax it's the KX and LX. I've recently acquired an MX so it's too soon for me to rank it alongside the other two. But I'm aware of its history and reputation, so I'm sure as I use mine more, I'll develop a fondness for it too.

Earlier folks were making comments about top shutter speeds and I guess whether or not these high speeds are even necessary. Well, here's my take on it. Back in the days when I shot lots of slide film, most of the time I was shooting Kodachrome 64, but shot at ISO 80. The slight underexposure to Kodachrome improved its saturation, and the slightly faster speed allowed me to shoot at slightly higher shutter speeds, which I often found handy. The other slide films I also shot quite a bit of were Ektachrome 100 and Fujichrome 100 (I preferred Fujichrome). Unlike Kodachrome, these E-6 films didn't respond to the slight underexposure like Kodachrome did, so I have always shot E-6 at box speed. The 100 speed films back then were very fine grained, so I was usually happy with the results. Plus, I could develop E-6 at home, which was often quite convenient because sometimes I needed the quick turnaround.

But anyway, I was also shooting most of the time in outdoor situations, and often the Sunny f/16 rule was in effect. With 100 ISO films this translated to 1/125 at f/16, or 1/250 at f/11 or 1/500 at f/8 or 1/1000 at f/5.6 or 1/2000 at f/4. Well, back then I was shooting mostly with Canon F-1s, which had a top shutter speed of 1/2000. I seldom found a situation where I needed this speed. I've always felt that f/8 is generally the sweet spot with most lenses I own, which means I was shooting at 1/500 second. So I seldom even needed 1/1000 second, much less 1/2000. I mean it's nice having those faster shutter speeds, I guess for "just in case" scenarios, but they didn't happen very often. I suppose if I were shooting a lot of Tri-X, then those faster shutter speeds would have gotten more use, but usually I was able to get by just fine by dialing in more aperture when I did have a camera loaded with Tri-X.