Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #31

cooltouch, I used Kodachrome a bit back in the day but I don't think I appropriated it as much as I should have. I wish I would have tried it with a slight underexposure the way you did.

I also no longer care to play the "my camera is better than your camera" game. In fact my reaction to all of that is that I now find myself using a Pentax Auto 110 of all things. It is so much fun and its limitations make it all the better in my mind!

02-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NJ Bob Quote
cooltouch, I used Kodachrome a bit back in the day but I don't think I appropriated it as much as I should have. I wish I would have tried it with a slight underexposure the way you did.

I also no longer care to play the "my camera is better than your camera" game. In fact my reaction to all of that is that I now find myself using a Pentax Auto 110 of all things. It is so much fun and its limitations make it all the better in my mind!
Doesn't that cost a lot more to get film, and get it developed, than a 35mm body, though?
02-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Doesn't that cost a lot more to get film, and get it developed, than a 35mm body, though?
If you're asking about 110 film, yes, it does cost a bit more.

The film is about $7 a roll and processing, at least where I have it done, runs about $20. Still, I really enjoy it and since I don't shoot a lot of rolls it doesn't really seem that bad.
02-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I wish Pentax had kept up better with others on their mechanical shutter speeds. 1/1000 is on the slow end compared to the 1/4000th offered by others. I really enjoy the KX body I have. It’s the only one of my regularly used cameras that hasn’t made the holy pilgrimage to Eric’s bench. The one I have was owned by a journalist for a newspaper in Wyoming. Inprobably don’t use my LX to its capabilities, but it just has some basic features not found on other Pentax bodies. ME Super goes to 1/2000, but lacks the DOF preview and MLU of the KX.
The LX hybrid electronic/mechanical shutter will shoot from 1/75th (X sync) to 1/2000th without batteries. The difference between the KX & MX comes down whether you prefer a slightly bigger/smaller camera or prefer LEDs over needles. The LX is better than both, it's better built/sealed, has more options and is much nicer to use - the dials click much more positively and the moving parts seem slicker and better engineered.

02-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The LX hybrid electronic/mechanical shutter will shoot from 1/75th (X sync) to 1/2000th without batteries. The difference between the KX & MX comes down whether you prefer a slightly bigger/smaller camera or prefer LEDs over needles. The LX is better than both, it's better built/sealed, has more options and is much nicer to use - the dials click much more positively and the moving parts seem slicker and better engineered.
True the LX is a better overall camera than the KX/MX. However you can buy a KX & MX and have them both CLAed for the cost of one LX with a CLA.

That's what makes the cheaper to buy/service KX/MX more attractive to some people.

Phil.
02-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better for some perhaps, but not all.

I sold my Pentax LX but kept my KX bodies, and I will probably always have an MX as well.

Chris
02-19-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

And even better yet . . .

02-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simply beautiful!

Awww, my black Pentax KM is just as pretty as those.
And my silver Pentax KM takes photos equally well.

Chris
02-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Maybe even prettier . . .
02-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
And my silver Pentax KM takes photos equally well.

Chris
I once had a silver KM.
02-20-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

I’d find it difficult separating the photos by my S1a, Sv, SP and K1000.
04-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #42

So often I read ¨have it CLA´d"or ¨send it to Eric¨ ...but how would I do a basic check and re-lube my self? is there a guide on the forum for this? The mirror on my KX just started being sluggish, slow to rise up.
04-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skilpent Quote
So often I read ¨have it CLA´d"or ¨send it to Eric¨ ...but how would I do a basic check and re-lube my self? is there a guide on the forum for this? The mirror on my KX just started being sluggish, slow to rise up.
There might be some answers on this thread

Simple CLA for KX - seeking do it yourself advice - Skilpent

Steve
04-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
I’d find it difficult separating the photos by my S1a, Sv, SP and K1000.
I would find it difficult-to-near-impossible to separate ANY of my film bodies that use the same glass if I didn't remember using one specifically or write it down (which isn't uncommon really). In the end they're all just light-tight boxes. If I ever lose my scans and notes, i'll never tell what took what just looking at the slides and negatives.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Maybe you just forgot or haven't spent enough time with the MX as it has dof preview. What it doesn't have is MLU.
Sure it does! It just takes a bit of finesse (though much less finesse than I thought when I'd first heard about the lil bump trick for MX).
04-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #45

Thanks Steve, I must make a mental note to look in the mirror more often!
To chickentender, I alas cannot agree to the ¨simply a black box¨ label - while the body does not lend a character to the result of the lens and film combination, it does enable the photographer to exploit their abilities as well as to introduce the photographer´s skills and creativity. Each feature, be it metering, MLU, DoF, stability, etc. adds to the resources.