Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm, someone in Stockbridge has a nice LX on Fleabay. I may try for that one.

CW

09-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Hmmm, someone in Stockbridge has a nice LX on Fleabay. I may try for that one.

CW
Yeah, I saw that one. I had already watchlisted it, but unless it's stupid cheap in the last few minutes I probably won't even bid. That flash would be nice though...

I'd not mind having a second LX... though I'd like to have an MZ-S.

And I'd not mind replacing my craptastic 2mpix digital with an *istDS or similar. It'd not be much bigger than that old piece of crap if I put the Limited DA40/2.8 on it. Almost pocket-sized.

As much as I like film, I can't afford to use it willy-nilly for everything.
09-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteQuote:
As much as I like film, I can't afford to use it willy-nilly for everything.
...says the LX owner.
09-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Indeed. Why do you think I can't afford to blast away tons of film?

09-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've still got a couple, just hoping one day Pentax will make a digital back to change over with the film back thats on as standard
09-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are plenty of threads about the Pentax LX, but they cannot be found easily.
Unfortunately the term "LX" (as well as most Pentax camera model designations) is too short for the forums search utility.

Chris
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #22

I've also wondered why there's not a lot of LX commentary on Pentax Forums, especially given the seemingly cult-like status of the LX. I recently acquired a very nice one off eBay, and have run a roll of T-Max 400 through it, and now a roll of Provia 400. When I get them processed, I'll let you all know the result.

But handling-wise, the LX is beautiful to use. The controls are truely awesome - firm without being stiff. The winder and shutter are a joy to use - much better than my old ME Super or ME-F. And the viewfinder is the biggest and brightest this side of a medium format camera!!

09-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #23

I have nothing but love for the LX. I got my first one in 1981 and is still using it. My second one was bought in 2004, but is of almost the same age as the first one -- serials 5257*** and 5263***.

-- MW
09-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

How to tell which LX is the old version and which is the later version?

Base on Dimitrov's website:
LX*(early*version)
LX*(late*version)

Old version:

Later version:

Quote from the page for later version:
QuoteQuote:
During its long production rung, the Pentax LX was updated at least three times. The latest camera revision has three visible differences compared to the earliest: there are two white points missing on the front of the first shutter curtain; pressing the button that releases the viewfinder causes the light meter to turn on, and the shutter-lock switch features a new design. Severals attempts to gather information about camera serial numbers and design variations have failed due to inconclusive data.
Here is mine:

My LX looks exactly like the old version, I mean the shutter-lock switch looks exactly the same as the old version shown on Dimitrov's website. But mine has ISO up to 3200 (instead of 1600 as in the spec from the old version). When pressing the button that releases the finder, the light meter will turn on. I'm kinda confused, did I get an old version or a later version?

Last edited by frank; 09-03-2008 at 06:51 PM.
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO in use the M-series viewfinders are as good or better than the LX eye-level finders.
Of course the LX offers multiple viewfinder options and more accurate coverage...

Chris
09-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I've still got a couple, just hoping one day Pentax will make a digital back to change over with the film back thats on as standard
That thought has crossed my mind, but I realize it's a pipedream unless full frame DSLRs get cheap enough that I could cannibalize one for parts and make my own.

I do have some electronics know-how....

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
My LX looks exactly like the old version, I mean the shutter-lock switch looks exactly the same as the old version shown on Dimitrov's website. But mine has ISO up to 3200 (instead of 1600 as in the spec from the old version). When pressing the button that releases the finder, the light meter will turn on. I'm kinda confused, did I get an old version or a later version?
By the button that releases the finder, do you mean the button on top (which does not actually release the finder), or the little "switch" around it that you push sideways? Mine has the shutter release lock like yours, the 3200 ISO dial, and the button on top turns the meter on (but not the lever that releases the finder). I suspect that any LX that has been through a Pentax servicing with a ISO 1600 dial got it replaced with an ISO3200 dial. Just my suspicion....

And as to the comments about the viewfinder... YES, it is awesome. Even with the basic FA1 viewfinder on it. You want to talk about a huge viewfinder, put the FB1/FC1 combo on there.
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The little button activates the viewfinder, not the attached switch.

There were apparently three LXs: the original, then a 'transitional' model with the viewfinder button and extended ISO range, and then the final version, with the modified shutter lock. I've owned the last two. I find the modified lock really easy to use, but maybe too easy - I can see it getting bumped accidentally. Anyway, I sold that and now own a 'transitional' model. It had sticky mirror when I bought it, but a CLA fixed that. It is my sole camera (my wife uses my old ME Super, and not counting a superb little Nikon 35Ti).

Great though the ME is, without DOF preview it's quite limited in some ways. Also, the LX is a better fit for larger hands. I always use it with the wooden grip attachment. What a beautiful camera! By far the prettiest camera ever made, IMHO. It looks great with a SMC-A 50/1.4 on board, but its aesthetic is really M-series. And it's built like a Swiss watch.
09-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just posted mine in the marketplace. Killer accessory list for die hard LX'ers...
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Confession to make, I've (temporarily?) ditched digital to go back to film. Traded my K10D and FA J 18-35 in for a late model LX, K 50 f/1.2, M 28 f/2.8 and a M 100 f/2.8.

So now I've only got an MX and a LX with K and M series glass...

Oh boy
09-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Artobest, your ME can have dof preview. At least sort of. This is a little risky but here goes. Set aperture on lens and then release lens lock, turnining lens like you are removing it. You will see viewfinder darken as lens stops down. You MUST CONTINUE HOLDING ON TO THE LENS or it may fall off. You don't have to turn lens completely for this to work. Before shooting turn lens in reverse direction untill it locks back on. Used this to get along with a K1000 years ago.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #10 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #11. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.