Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just letting you guys/gals know what im up to. Im doing some research right now of those film cameras you guys recommended. Personally im scared of ebay. How many would recommend buying used gear at [url=http://www.adorama.com?]Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama.com? They seem to have a good selection in the film slr section. No pictures there but have a condition grade letter on each cam.

08-31-2008, 11:51 PM   #17
Damn Brit

There are usually quite a few Pentax film cameras on Craigslist. You can probably get one with a 50mm lens on for well under a $100. At least you can see before you buy because it's local.
09-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #18

Original Poster
I found a pz-1 on Adorama and its $100 body only, but it says its in excellent condition. I think Ill go ahead and purchase it. Umm im having a bit of trouble finding a 50mm lens that would fit the pz-1 body. I heard somewhere on the net that all pentax lenses work on all pentax cameras?

Last edited by miniheli; 09-01-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling mistaakes:)
09-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #19

Original Poster
Ok I think I got almost everything I need for the Pz-1.

Got a cleaning kit

Bag to carry it in

And this lens but it says its only for dslr's 21547 Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Zoom Lens for Digital SLRs.
so im not sure on this

I need battery's for the Pz-1, but I don't know what kind of battery's it takes?

Heheh convinced my parents that its for school. The k200d can wait.

09-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #20

Original Poster
"There are usually quite a few Pentax film cameras on Craigslist. You can probably get one with a 50mm lens on for well under a $100. At least you can see before you buy because it's local."

I went to craigslist and theres seems to be no pz-1's in L.A California.
09-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #21
Damn Brit

It's worth considering the K1000, it was the camera most students learnt with. If you are going to be buying a digital camera, it shouldn't matter much which film camera you go with. There is a K1000 on the LA craigslist for $250 with four lenses. Keep looking and you will see something.
09-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #22

Original Poster
That is probably a wise choice of camera to learn on. Sadly I cant help my self trying to get a different looking camera from everyone else lol. What I like about the Pz-1 is is that insanely fast shutter speed, im sure I would probably never use a 1/8000 but I just like to have that extra number just in case (fun). Also it has a 30 second exposure, that hopefully would work well on my telescope.
09-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Most folks seem to have a favorable opinion of the DA18-55, or at least think it isn't bad. I would recommend against it, though. It is terribly slow (maximum aperture) at 55mm. Just get yourself a nice 50mm prime to go with it. You can't go wrong with a 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 or 50/2 (listed in order of expensive to cheap). I have all three (and two 55/1.8 and yet another 50/1.4).

You can add other lenses later on. Has anyone suggested KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. to you yet? They enjoy a very good reputation for used equipment, especially as they tend to be very conservative with their equipment grading.

09-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If your wanting a zoom, look at the old 28-105 power zoom. It work very well on the PZ cameras and is a good focal lenght.,

Also look at an FA 50 they are very good.

Dave
09-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #25
Inactive Account

To miniheli:
I see that you are new here. I know that for me it took a while to figure out who knew what they were talking about and who didn't. Mike Cash KNOWS.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'd suggest a Spotmatic and a 55/1.8. Not only would he be the coolest kid in class, he'd have oodles of money left over for film and developing.
I've just recently been looking for Pentax "K" and "M" manual lenses. They are no where near as available as the various Takumar lenses. And as for price...
I recently bought Super Tak 28/3.5 - $41.00, 35/3.5 - $39.00, and 200/4.0 - $65.00. A nice 135/3.5 should be $40.00 or less. That along with a Spotmatic (don't get black) with a 50/1.4 should leave a good part of your budget so you can chase an 85 or a 105 to round out your kit. The 28 and the 200 were from the same source, and as far as I could tell had never been mounted. The little packet of desiccant was still in the bottom of each case, and the case straps were still in their original plastic packaging.

Anyway, to start get a Spotmatic with a 50 or 55 lens. If you have to, get the 28 and the 135. Then even if you get a black one you are inside your budget.
Here is why I don't want a black one. Even if it starts out in like new condition, you will eventually get brassing. My silver one would probably grade at least EX+ after 38 years. Go here:
Black Pentax Spotmatic w 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar EX NR - eBay (item 380059685730 end time Sep-05-08 19:09:33 PDT)
Good luck whatever you decide.
09-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #26

Original Poster
KEH Camera: Pentax Screwmount - Camera Bodies

That above is a amazing web site Mike Cash. Ok I will go with the spotmatic silver/black.
09-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #27

Original Poster
Ok so this is how my shopping cart looks like.

1.SPOTMATIC SP F CHROME (HONEYWELL) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY

2. 50 F1.4 SUPER TAKUMAR (49) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS

Does this sound ok?

Haveing a bit of trouble adding things in my cart from that web site, think its my computer, I just might purchase it from ebay.
09-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

How about just calling them and placing your order over the phone? That way you can tell them to BE SURE the Spotmatic they send you (The F is a good choice) has a functional meter and is otherwise mechanically sound. It probably is, but it never hurts to double check and that's easier to do verbally.

Since you're looking at a Spotmatic capable of open-aperture metering, I'd suggest an "S-M-C Takumar" or "SMC Takumar" lens to take full advantage of that feature, although the Super Takumar will also work just fine.

You're more likely to have a positive experience and get off on the right foot from KEH. Ebay is a crap shoot and what you get may or may not work. KEH has a good reputation and will try to maintain it. Spend a couple more bucks for peace of mind getting started out, then after you have a functioning camera "bird in the hand" you can play at the "two in the bush" Ebay game.
09-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
I know that for me it took a while to figure out who knew what they were talking about and who didn't. Mike Cash KNOWS.
Wait, I'm quoting myself!!!
09-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #30

Original Poster
Ok finally got my computer to work and got my order orderd.

-Spotmatic spf chrome (honeywell) 35mm slr manual focus camera body

-50 f1.4 smc takumar (49) 35mm slr manual focus standard angle lens

-spotmatic series (honeywell) camera body case

Cant wait till the ups man/girl comes knocking on my door
Thanks, all you guys for all of your wonderful helpful help