Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5th MX

So I was on ebay the other day and I saw an MX winder pop up for kind of a high price but the battery door looked good and I have been wanting a winder for my MX so I bid on it. I ended up getting it for $47 plus $13 shipping. It showed up today in perfect working condition with a good battery door. It was attached to a chrome MX, also in perfect working condition and rather nice cosmetic condition as well. I haven't decided yet if I'm keeping it but I'm leaning heavily in that direction so I can keep my perfect black one looking perfect. I think this is the 5th MX to grace my collection this year. All but the black one have been resold. This one also had a pretty nifty Promaster 75-205mm macro zoom attached. The lens will most certainly either be resold or used as a doorstop. I've already got that zoom range covered by lenses that I like much better.

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 Pentax bodies now, starting with the AP, K, and S1a, and continuing on through the Ms, Ks, and an LX. I also shoot Canon digital, having a 7D2 and a 5D3 with accompanying L glass ranging from 24-400mm. I also do medium format with a Mamiya RB67 Pro kit and a Mamiya C33 TLR kit. In short, I have WAY too many cameras.

01-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh dear your are terribly bitten by CBA there is little hope until you have collected everything. Only then will you seriously contemplate where you are at
01-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Oh dear your are terribly bitten by CBA there is little hope until you have collected everything. Only then will you seriously contemplate where you are at
Wild Mark nailed it. You are just a DOOOOOMMMMEEEED as Pentax itself.
01-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Wild Mark nailed it. You are just a DOOOOOMMMMEEEED as Pentax itself.
So.

There’s nothing wrong with having multiple old film cameras if they please you.

I have
  • 4 KX’s - 1 ea. Black + Silver, with and without split-image focusing screen.
  • 2 K2’s, Black + Silver and a K2DMD
  • 2 MX’s, Black + Silver
  • 2 ESll’s, Black + Silver
  • 2 SP-F’s, Black + Silver
  • LX
  • MZ-S
  • Singles of the pre-Spotmatics
  • 2 Nikon mechanical bodies
  • 2 interesting Contax bodies
  • 2 interesting Rangefinders
  • a box full of beaters that came as rear lens caps

I didn’t set out to collect these. They just came into my hands, one by one, over the last fifteen or so years. I’m probably not even close to the obsessive border among the members.*

* Actually, when I see the list that way, . But I only have 3 digital cameras

Last edited by monochrome; 01-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
01-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So.

There’s nothing wrong with having multiple old film cameras if they please you.

I have
  • 4 KX’s - 1 ea. Black + Silver, with and without split-image focusing screen.
  • 2 K2’s, Black + Silver and a K2DMD
  • 2 MX’s, Black + Silver
  • 2 ESll’s, Black + Silver
  • 2 SP-F’s, Black + Silver
  • LX
  • MZ-S
  • Singles of the pre-Spotmatics
  • 2 Nikon mechanical bodies
  • 2 interesting Contax bodies
  • 2 interesting Rangefinders
  • a box full of beaters that came as rear lens caps

I didn’t set out to collect these. They just came into my hands, one by one, over the last fifteen or so years. I’m probably not even close to the obsessive border among the members.*

* Actually, when I see the list that way, . But I only have 3 digital cameras
Indeed your are right, nothing wrong at all

But, I can poke fun with skin in the game. A have a very similar list to the above. Only now am I considering a rest .....
01-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MX love/hate relationship

I too have bought and sold on probably a half dozen MX bodies.
I am drawn to its many attractive features but in use not so much.

I'll probably hang on to the two Eric-serviced ones I currently own.
The silver ones are undervalued; I doubt I'd get the CLA cost back.

Chris
01-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
5th . . . I only have 2!

01-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To paraphrase the great Red Green:
I'm a man camera collector, but I can change, If I have to, I guess....
01-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I didn’t set out to collect these. They just came into my hands, one by one, over the last fifteen or so years.
Yep once someone knows you like older film bodies you get offers from all sorts of people!

I ended up with my Spotmatic kit from a man I used to work with, he was the original owner and offered it to me to over his children. (I did pay him for it)

Phil.
01-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Well done. I've also added another MX to my collection this year but it's only my second, the first being the first film SLR I ever bought, when I started using film back in 2012 (I think).
01-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #11

We can all say we "suffer" from having "too many" cameras, but in truth there are far more cameras, especially film bodies, than people who will use them which is why so many end up at auction sites, garage sales etc. At least that's my logic. So if we didn't maintain humble collections, most would probably end up being tossed out, *gasp*.

Therefore I have "saved" a Spotmatic SPII, MX, MG, MZ-5, ME Super and a host of other cameras from a fateful end

Lenses are a different story however...
01-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

I have an MX again for the first time in almost 40 years - in the 70s I had a pair with Motor MXes that I had to sell to move to Nikon when I got my first job. (Needed to be able to use pool lenses, and needed NPS-level support.) I’m enjoying it so much that I’m actively looking for another motor (the winder isn’t cutting it for me) and possibly even another body. I’m still a dedicated Nikon shooter, but I’m enjoying using Pentax again after all these years.
01-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What kind of shooting do you do that demands 5fps? I Thought it might be nice to have that kind of speed for when I shoot my kids' sports events but then I thought about the cost of film and processing. I'll stick with my 7D2 for that stuff. It's paid for after all.
01-05-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoom creep Quote
We can all say we "suffer" from having "too many" cameras, but in truth there are far more cameras, especially film bodies, than people who will use them which is why so many end up at auction sites, garage sales etc. At least that's my logic. So if we didn't maintain humble collections, most would probably end up being tossed out, *gasp*.
That's my philosophy. We're just "saving" all this gear for posterity.
01-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the MX occasionally when I want motorized advance, which isn't often.
The 2+ fps rate of the Winder MX is adequate, and the grip improves handling.

Chris