Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
External battery for LX

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This is the first time I've seen this accessory - > External battery for LX.

Anyone else seen it elsewhere or have one?

01-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have one. The theory is that extreme cold weather might be a problem for batteries. Hard to believe that someone sold one for EUR55 plus shipping.
01-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I figured it was for the same purpose as one I have for another brand camera but have never seen it mentioned in any Pentax info I have. Do you have any paperwork for it you can share?
01-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do you just use the normal batteries, but in an external holder?

01-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As it happens I have both the box and the insert. I had no idea that it was particularly unusual or rare. Is there a guide for adding a review to the database? The stock number is likely either 37352 which is handwritten on the end of the box or possibly 06596.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2018 at 01:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Do you just use the normal batteries, but in an external holder?
Yes it uses the camera batteries in an external holder.
01-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cold weather remote battery pack

I had one and sold it when I sold my Pentax LX. I now have one for my Nikon F2.
The Nikon is better as it uses more convenient AA cells and fits many models.

Chris
01-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As the original link has gone, here is a picture of one :-

I have a Pentax LX brochure of December 1984 which describes it as :-

Battery cord LX
To ensure proper battery performance in cold weather, this cord allows the photographer to store LX batteries in a warm pocket

Poor translation perhaps, but it does more than store in that the batteries are being used from the warm pocket. I would think they are rare in as much as few users would have bought one.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 01-07-2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Typo
01-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the remote battery pack for my Pentax 645 camera, also sold.
IIRC it used AA batteries. Not sure if it fits later models in the series.

Chris
01-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I had one and sold it when I sold my Pentax LX. I now have one for my Nikon F2.
The Nikon is better as it uses more convenient AA cells and fits many models.

Chris
I have the Nikon DB-2 and used to think how convenient it was to use AA cels. However, using the same cels as the camera makes better sense to me since I have to have those anyway and not have to worry about another battery type.

For my application - using the LX for ultra long autoexposures, I was concerned that the button cels may not last and external AA cels such as used in the DB-2 would offer more energy then the button cels. It turns out that even in this application, the button cels seems to last a good long time in the LX so that is not a problem at all.

Of course for the original application of extreme weather - which is not a problem where I currently reside, I would use the CR1/3N 3V Lithium cels.

What I found of particular interest with the Nikon adapter is that it fits a range of models but not due to its design but the fact that Nikon designed a range of cameras to all have the same battery cap which is not typical practice for Pentax as well as all the other camera brands that I have.
01-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have the Nikon DB-2 and used to think how convenient it was to use AA cels. However, using the same cels as the camera makes better sense to me since I have to have those anyway and not have to worry about another battery type.
Few modern households do not have AA batteries. They are ubiquitous.
I may run out of button cells, but I can always find some AA alkalines, or charge up a set of NiMH AA's.

What I found of particular interest with the Nikon adapter is that it fits a range of models but not due to its design but the fact that Nikon designed a range of cameras to all have the same battery cap which is not typical practice for Pentax as well as all the other camera brands that I have.

How do you know that Nikon didn't intentionally do so? And does it matter?
The bottom line is that Nikon users of many models benefit, not just owners of the top-of-the-line model.

Chris
01-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
How do you know that Nikon didn't intentionally do so? And does it matter?
The bottom line is that Nikon users of many models benefit, not just owners of the top-of-the-line model.

Chris
I have no idea of Nikons intentions - or for that matter any other product I am not involved in design.

From a designer or manufacturers perspective, having interchangeable parts does have obvious benefits. In fact, given the form factor of these cels, I cannot think of one reason why a company would not use the same design across all products that use it. Now that parts are long out of production and starting to become harder to find or getting pricier, it is even more important to have interchangeable parts.
01-07-2018, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always used to wonder how many cameras were pulled over on their tripods by cold photographers heading back to the warm car with the batteries in their pocket connected to a wire...

-Eric
01-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is the first time I've seen this accessory - > External battery for LX.

Anyone else seen it elsewhere or have one?
I have one, no idea why i bought it back then... it has never been used.
01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the one Pentax made for the 6x7 & 67. However it is not usable on the 67ii. (Different battery type)

Phil.
01-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I have one, no idea why i bought it back then... it has never been used.
If you never had a need to use - and you live in far colder climate then I do, then I would likely never use it either . . . but I still want one!