Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #1

Pentax ME super shutter issues - bottom door sometimes sticking

Hi,

I've diagnosed a fault with my beloved ME super and wondering if anyone has experienced similar, or can help. I got a whole roll of film back completely blank recently, and after investigation I believe the cause was a "sticky" bottom door on the shutter. If i wind the advance lever with the back door open, I can see the top door of the shutter move upwards as expected, but when i press the shutter button, the bottom door doesn't always open before the top door comes down.

After trying this a number of times, it seems to happen more often on short exposures, and less often on long exposures, bulb mode or 125x mode.

Anyone had this problem and know if it can be fixed or what is causing it?

Thanks!!

01-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How many rolls of film have you personally shot through this camera? What is the history of this camera? When was the last time it was used successfully? It sounds to me like a 35+ year old camera that is in need of regular maintenance. As the oils used on the moving parts ages, it becomes thick and sticky which can cause mechanical failures such as you are experiencing.
01-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your best option would be to have a routine CLA (Clean, Lubricate, Adjust) done, during which most shops will fully evaluate all functions and also perform adjustments and minor repair. With any luck one of our users from the UK will pop in on this thread with advice regarding a good repair person.

Good luck!

Steve
01-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #4

What you describe is shutter capping. Your camera needs cleaning and lubrication and hopefully it will go away, if it doesn't the curtains tension might need some tweaking. Anyways it's probably best to leave it to a professional.

01-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have run into this problem on a couple of EOS cameras. The vertically traveling shutter curtains on these two cameras would stick sometimes -- actually most of the times. What was causing it was a build-up of goo that accumulated in the bottom channel where the curtains rest. The goo comes from foam seals that deteriorated. Some repair techs use a business card to run through the channel to remove the goo. I've used a more drawn out process that may or may not be as successful. What I've done is use Q-tips and alcohol. You can see the goo where it's causing the shutter blades to stick, so I'd soak the blades with alcohol from a saturated Q-tip, then lightly brush off the liquefied goo. I would repeat this procedure until the blades remained clean after many repeated firings of the shutter. A few years later and my shutter is still goo-free. I need to emphasize that, since my process involves coming into contact with the shutter blades, that a very light touch is required. Or else you risk the possibility of ruining your shutter.