Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 03:25 AM   #16

Original Poster
To be absolutely fair, the more I look through the SP500's VF the more I enjoy it.

It is not nearly as bright as the AE-1, but it's not a huge difference that I won't get used too.

WIth the Takumar 55mm f1.8, 135mm 2.5 and the 35mm 3.5 the focusing is absolutely fine. The only issue lens is with the odd Pentacon 30mm 3.5 which I think is an odd but interesting little lens.

The issue with the Pentacon is that as you change the aperture the VF gets darker, so I will have to set my focus first, then change the aperture :-), very odd. This will be the lens I use least.

I will just have to keep my eyes open for the faster of the 35mm and 28mm takumar lenses.

It will be interesting as now I have ordered the other Pentax bodies: I will have an SP, SP1000 and SP500 to compare, I think I might as well go the whole hog and get a Spotmatic F to complete the line up LOL.

01-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matt_Dodwell_UK Quote
To be absolutely fair, the more I look through the SP500's VF the more I enjoy it.
The issue with the Pentacon is that as you change the aperture the VF gets darker, so I will have to set my focus first, then change the aperture :-), very odd. This will be the lens I use least.
That lens is probably a preset one, where there's two rings - one ring sets the minimum aperture, and the other opens/closes the aperture until it reaches the preset minimum.

Some of the more interesting preset lenses have the same ring do both tasks, you pull it downward and turn to set the aperture, but you just turn it to stop down/open up the lens.
01-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #18
Forum Member

ASAHI ESII Motor Drive... good luck finding an ESII ... an ESII Motor-Drive may even be more difficult to find.
01-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ESIIs aren't too difficult. Working ESIIs might be a different matter... I love my ES and ESII... but they are odd beasts. K.

02-01-2018, 06:21 AM   #20

Original Poster
I've decided to let my M42 cameras and lenses go and focus purely on the MX that I have just had CLA'd. The VF on the SP500 is just too dark for me, but the MX's is lovely. I also have a Contax S2 with some Zeiss lenses, so I think my S2 and MX combo is just what I need right now and the M42 kit would remain in a camera bag under the bed forgotten.