Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Can you recommend M42 Mount Body

What are the better M42 Mount Pentax Cameras in your opinion?

I am looking at two main characteristics for my preferences.
1. mechanical shutter (battery for meter only)
2. Bright VF and Focusing Screen.

I love the look and feel of the Spotmatic SP500, but the focusing screen I wish was brighter. So, I'm wondering what did Pentax release 35mm SLR wise with M42 mount cameras that fit the above 2 characteristic.

Cheers.

01-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not pick up something along the lines of a KX and add the M42 adapter? That was my all time favourite film camera. Match needle meter. Everything else was 100% mechanical, and it had a periscope for the aperture ring.
01-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My current m42 models in use are Spotmatic SP, which has a very bright VF (IME), and an Argus/Cosina STL1000 (less bright but not noticeably so). Functionally the two are identical, except the STL1000 has a Copal metal shutter, and is overall heavier built and more rugged, and it's easier to mate up a lens to it. Both have non-working TTL meters, I use a handheld of dubious accuracy (OTOH neither camera has been CLA'd, so shutter timings could also be off. The meter does act screwy though.). Each cameras has its strengths and drawbacks, a lot more of the SP were made and is thus a whole lot easier to find a used one.
01-09-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Matt; did you check your other thread on this subject? Couple of suggestions there about why your viewfinder might be dark. As far as I know, all Spotmatic variants had the same prism/focusing screens. The KX is a good suggestion, but bear in mind that the mechanical KX, KM and K1000 were directly developed from the Spotmatic F, so probably had the same basic prisms and focusing screens.

01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
@Matt; did you check your other thread on this subject? Couple of suggestions there about why your viewfinder might be dark. As far as I know, all Spotmatic variants had the same prism/focusing screens. The KX is a good suggestion, but bear in mind that the mechanical KX, KM and K1000 were directly developed from the Spotmatic F, so probably had the same basic prisms and focusing screens.
Yes, I noticed the responses in the other thread and I did make sure the switch was in the right mode so not to darken the VF down when changing aperture. It clearly makes a difference, but I still find it too dark for my liking really.

I'm going to get a split focus screen for the MX as that has a lovely VF to it, but it's not M42 which most of the lenses I've acquired are.

I was just curious what the other M42 bodies were like before I get an adaptor for using the M42 lenses on the MX.

I certainly to adverse to having more film cameras :-)

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 12:19 PM ----------

I'm used to shooting the Canon A1/AE-1 and Nikon FM range and their VF is really bright and clear.

My SP500 looks much darker in comparison, like its got a bit of a smoky glass on it. It's still usable, and I will, I really want to shoot a Pentax and the lenses I have.

I was a bit surprised by the SP500 VF and was hoping for something more comparable to the AE-1 for example in terms of VF brightness.

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 12:20 PM ----------

That would be....

I am certainly not adverse to having more film cameras :-)
01-09-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The KX is a good suggestion, but bear in mind that the mechanical KX, KM and K1000 were directly developed from the Spotmatic F, so probably had the same basic prisms and focusing screens.
That is an interesting thought. I don't own a Spotmatic F, though I do have a mid-60s vintage Spotmatic and a Spotmatic II as well as a KX. I did a quick comparison of all three with 55/1.8 lenses mounted. The two Spotmatics were about the same and the KX appeared to be about half again (1/2 stop) brighter.

FWIW, the viewfinder specifications for the K-series are mildly different from each other and from the Spotmatic F.

K2: 0.88x magnification, -0.8 diopter, 95% coverage
KX: 0.88x magnification, -0.8 diopter, 93% coverage
KM: 0.87x magnification, -1.0 diopter, N/A coverage*
K1000: 0.88x magnification, -1.0 diopter, N/A coverage*
Spotmatic F: 0.89x magnification, -1.0 diopter, 93% coverage

The other variable would be the focus screen. It is hard to say whether that is consistent over time or within the K-series. My comment would be that none of my pre-1978 bodies (Pentax and non-Pentax) have amazingly bright screens and that none are particularly dim.

For the OP...probably the brightest viewfinder on an M42 SLR would be the Voigtlander (Cosina) Bessaflex TM ($$$). An adapter for the MX might be the better idea unless you want the (highly recommended) convenience of using the automatic aperture actuation your lenses provide. My preference is M42 lenses on M42 bodies unless I am content with working SLOWLY.

Steve

* The camera manuals for both the KM and K1000 lack viewfinder coverage specs. The "K-mount page" provides 87% and 88% respectively, though it is not clear where those numbers came from.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-09-2018 at 12:41 PM.
01-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matt_Dodwell_UK Quote
What are the better M42 Mount Pentax Cameras in your opinion?..... So, I'm wondering what did Pentax release 35mm SLR wise with M42
As half the guys here seem trying to dissuade you from a Pentax M42 body at all, I thought I'd chip in with an answer to your question with the aid of my Pentax reference book, even though I don't have an M42 myself.

From what I have read the best Pentax M42 was probably the Spotmatic F, which was about the last M42 that Pentax made. It was fully manual with full aperture metering. When Pentax introduced the K-series, the SPF was given a K mount in place of the M42 and became the KM, and later the KM was stripped of any bells and whistles and became the K1000. The latter, made until the mid-1990s was thus basically the SPF, and many people still today rave about the reliability and handling of the K1000.

Another late Pentax M42 body was the ESII (an improvement on the ES) which offered both aperture priority auto and manual modes, but the meter could not be used in the manual mode. People also seem to like the Spotmatic II, but this was a slightly earlier design that uses stop-down metering, which is a downside.

Hope that helps, at least as a starting point.

01-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an SP-F and an ESll (plus K2, K2DMD, KX, KM, MX and SuperPROGRAM). SP-F >> KM. ESll >> K2. KX added some features and match needle metering, but to turn on the meter you pull out the film advance lever a few degrees which can be awkward.

I concur the stock KX, KM and SP-F are quite close in VF brightness. My personal recommendation is the SP-F with either Super-Multi-Coated Takumar or SMC Takumar lenses. It retains the mechanical shutter.

One argument in favor of a KX with m42 Adapter is the available split-image focusing screen model. It is a factory option, not user interchangeable, but if you can find one so equipped it is a worthy choice. I have several examples with each screen. It also retains a mechanical shutter.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-09-2018 at 02:40 PM.
01-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I own an unused Spotmatic F that could be obtained for a reasonable offer ...
01-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Canons and Nikons you mention were roughly contemporaneous with the MX (as was the Olympus OM1), but my memory tells me that the MX was considered to have the brightest viewinder of them all (my MX certailny has a bright viewfinder, and I used it from 1977 to 2005!). The Spotmatic was designed around fifteen years before the MX went on sale (and only four years after the original Asahi Pentax) which may be a reason why the Spottie family viewfinder is not as large and bright as that of the MX. So, of the screwmount Pentaxes (Pentaces? Penti?) maybe the SPF might be the best bet for your SMCs, although the half-stop improvement that Steve found (above) would perhaps be barely detectable in use. The SPF offered open aperture metering with SMC Takumar lenses, which have an extra little pin, so that three out of the four lenses you mention would work like that on the SPF; they'd be stop-down only on the SP500 though. The Pentacon lens may well be stop-down even on the SPF. The three SMCs are highly thought of, especially the 55/f1.8.

So, for possibly the brightest and biggest viewfinder you're likely to get with 35mm, maybe the MX with a M42 adapter and stop-down metering might be the best of all possible worlds, thinking about your two acceptance criteria. You'd be stop-down metering on the SP500 in any case, because turning the meter on stops the lens down, regardless of lens setting (A/M). The alternative could be to look for a SPF in good condition, but screen brightness may not be significantly different to the SP500.
01-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #11

There is a trade off between brightness and snap, if you have a working SP500 I would just use that. Remember if it's too dark at open aperture you're probably at 1/30th or less anyway, which is the speed the mirror has the most vibration at. I've seen a lot of recommendations of the fujica st605 and st801 when people ask this question, but I've never owned either, there are a lot of parts only st605 on ebay which has dissuaded me. Using these lenses adapted on a PK camera handheld I've concluded is too much of a PIA, unless I'm scale focusing and using a handheld meter (wide angles).

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 03:59 PM ----------

Or scale focusing with an aperture priority camera..
01-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I think what i am going to do is this.

1) start shooting with the SP500 and see how it goes. I only shoot in day with good light so that should be OK.
2) buy a M42 to K mount to use try on the MX. I have seen one with good reviews, it seems to be the correct one (not original pentax though). I only ever meter handheld so that isn't an issue for me.
3) if finally I don't like shooting with it I will sell the body and lenses on to someone who will get more use from the. I will keep the MX with Pentax-M Lenses.
01-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your SP500 is working properly you may grow to like it.
I've owned and used many Pentax screwmount bodies;
I prefer my humble SP1000, a very similar model.

Chris
01-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #14

I think your plan makes very good sense. I have never had any regrets buying genuine pentax adapters though, they don't lose any resale value..
01-10-2018, 01:06 AM   #15

Original Poster
Or I could add a 1a option.

Late at night when I am tired and easily self pursueded, look online to my local reputable classic camera store that I use and trust, see they have a SP and SP1000 in excellent condition, buy them to see what they are like compared to the SP500, then pick my favourite two bodies and use one for colour and one for B&W :-)

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 01:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
I think your plan makes very good sense. I have never had any regrets buying genuine pentax adapters though, they don't lose any resale value..
I prefer genuine parts, but in this case I can't find a Pentax adaptor yet.

Unfortunately I have had some bad experiences with eBay for vintage camera purchases, so I have come off it and now buy only from reputable UK or International stores.

Last edited by Matt_Dodwell_UK; 01-10-2018 at 01:49 AM.