Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #1

New ME F: the LEDS don't light up

Hi Pentaxians,

After looking on here I thought the ME F would suit me with its' 1/125 flash speed, 1/2000 to 4 seconds shutter speeds, clearly
marked exposure compensation dial and neat lights and info. in the bright viewfinder.

I inserted 4 Camelion Silver Oxide SR44s in the clean battery chamber but this sparked up nothing. I checked the batteries and
cleaned the contacts with 99.9% Iso and tried out different lenses. Sigh...

The camera is in really nice nick and I bought it as a package with a 280t flash, 50mm A 1.7, 35-70mm macro(ish) A 3.5-4.5,
polarising and skylight filters and a neat camera bag. I also have a Pentax 200mm 2.5, aTamron 90mm 2.5 macro with extension rings,Tamron 80-210 3.8 etc.. My grand plan was to use some lenses on my Canon 650d with the new Vello adapters.

If only I can get the ME F working. It could be simply a loose wire easily found by removing the baseplate or the entire exposure meter could be in any state whatsoever!

I could ask for a refund if needs be but I only paid £36.78 and 18.79 shipping from France.

Please help me get the ME F working if poss!!!! I have never disassembled a camera before::

Many thanks

01-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Possibly stating the obvious but have you tried the batteries the other way up ?
01-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Possibly stating the obvious but have you tried the batteries the other way up ?
Yes! Out of curiosity I wonder if inserting batteries the opposite way to that shown in the manual has ever worked...
01-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the camera described as working in the ad? £36 sounds awfully cheap given you also got the lenses (which are already worth more than that).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Adam,
It was described as working mechanically but not tested with new batteries. The flash had not been tested. The reason it was so cheap was that I stumbled across it on French ebay and I was the only bidder. The seller normally only sells a few items of class glass in perfect condition and of high quality (100% feedback rating). An enthusiast!
I've asked if he has any idea how it might be fixed but really he wouldn't know.
I'm thinking that maybe the electronics were displaced a little in transit.
01-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's not a battery issue then the electronics may be shot. If you are in the UK maybe check with the guys at Harrow Technical:

Harrow Technical

Phil.
01-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ummm Quote
It was described as working mechanically but not tested with new batteries.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Given that the camera is essentially battery-dependent,* the description is puzzling and may be an artifact of translation. As noted above, loading batteries upside down is a common mistake as is loading less-than-good batteries. Since you have the manual, the orientation of the batteries should be easy to determine. It may be that leaving batteries in the camera overnight might help. Sometimes capacitors need a nudge if they are old.

Steve

01-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ummm Quote
Yes! Out of curiosity I wonder if inserting batteries the opposite way to that shown in the manual has ever worked...
At least the SP-F will allow you to do so (if you use an SR44), and the needle will just go the opposite direction than you want.
01-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
Interesting stuff on the SP-F. I couldn't resist a quick look and it seems that the bridge circuit makes it voltage independent, within reason. I had wondered about the Camelions being 1.55v as against the originals 1.5v but that was just me being ignorant.

The batteries work great in my MG but that's a simpler beast.

I seem to recall reading speculation that the exposure circuit might be separate from the autofocus module. Since there doesn't ever seem to have been an ME F service manual, if it's nothing obvious, then it would mean relying on the ME super guide. I have also bookmarked dozens of sites to peruse later
Hopefully it might spark into life if I keep moving the dials to dislodge any debris or even better, as stevebrot said, it will be fine in the morning.

You folks have all been really on the case. Many thanks.
02-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The ME F I bought from shopgoodwill arrived yesterday. Today I bought some batteries. I put them in going by the markings in the camera. It didn't work...I looked at the manual on pentax-manuals.com and it turns out they need to be inserted the opposite way...Really intuitive...Now the meter works just fine