Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where do you get your film?

Just a matter of curiosity.

My experience has been that eBay is actually one of the better ways to buy film, due to breath of selection, and (sometimes) better pricing.

The worst kind of place to buy film (in terms of price, and generally selection) seems to be any retail store, especially a convenience store/pharmacy.

01-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I buy mine from one of the following:

1) Local photo supply store a block away. Yes prices are high, but they have a great selection and you can;t beet the convenience. Mostly for a couple rolls at a time.
2) B&H Photo. Big selection, free & quick shipping to Canada on amounts over $99. Mostly for bulk purchases, otherwise local is better.
3) One of the online film specialty stores, like Freestyle. Mostly for bulk purchases, otherwise local is better.
4) Other local camera stores/drug stores/development labs here in Vancouver. Only if option one is out of stock on a specific film I want to shoot.

Phil.
01-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My own preferences have pretty much always been Kodak film products (with some exceptions). Because of that, some (actually many) stores don't carry what I want, so I usually stock up through B&H which carries all of Kodak's current emulsions. About 5 years back, I visited a town in Canada (planning to get my film at that destination) and found that of the three stores in town (two photo specific stores), none had Kodak products, and one store insisted that Kodak didn't make film anymore. Since then, I've always been sure to take some stock with me on any trip ordered from B&H.

That said, I took the leap to digital with the purchase of a K-1. I still intend to so some film photography, but I see it less and less in my future and I expect that my favorite films will become harder and harder to find were it not for B&H, so I'll stick with them as my primary film supplier until film makers give up the ghost.
01-12-2018, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I mostly buy film from buyfilm.ca. Sometimes from a lab where I get my film developed. I used to buy film from Amazon and ebay, but not anymore.

01-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I mostly buy film from buyfilm.ca. Sometimes from a lab where I get my film developed. I used to buy film from Amazon and ebay, but not anymore.
Why not? Selection, price, principle?
01-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote

My experience has been that eBay is actually one of the better ways to buy film, due to breath of selection, and (sometimes) better pricing.

The worst kind of place to buy film (in terms of price, and generally selection) seems to be any retail store, especially a convenience store/pharmacy.
The Film Photography Project (Home - The Film Photography Project) has some unusual emulsions that are not your normal big three fare if you are into creative photography.
01-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get my Portra 400 from B&H

Clarence

01-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
The Film Photography Project (Home - The Film Photography Project) has some unusual emulsions that are not your normal big three fare if you are into creative photography.
Between them and Lomography, a few film formats have been revived as well.
01-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Local photo lab - they not only process 135 and 120 films (among others) but store unprocessed films in a fridge.
01-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm lucky living in what might be hipster capital USA, Portland, Oregon. I have 3 local shops to buy film from. Blue Moon has the most diverse selection. Pro Photo has the best prices. Citizens is the closest to my house. I shop at each for those reasons. I go to eBay if I'm itching for expired film.
01-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I'm lucky living in what might be hipster capital USA, Portland, Oregon. I have 3 local shops to buy film from. Blue Moon has the most diverse selection. Pro Photo has the best prices. Citizens is the closest to my house. I shop at each for those reasons. I go to eBay if I'm itching for expired film.
There's new film on eBay!

What's the most unusual/obscure film those places sell?
01-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I usually buy film and processing supplies from Freestyle.
01-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Freestyle, B&H, ebay, local shop, and I have bought some from Amazon, but have found recently Amazon is one of the more expensive places. Since I develop my own black and white, and color film, my developing supplies come from Freestyle and B&H.
01-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Why not? Selection, price, principle?
A little bit of everything. First of all, it's a new business dedicated to film. Secondly, it's a small local company. Thirdly, while it's no competition to the giants like Amazon, I'd rather support competition whatever it is.

When it comes to EBay, I find buying film there is less satisfying. There are more parameters to consider, as I have to make sure the film is not expired (unless I want expired film), then the price is not always evident at first glance. Lots have different number of rolls, different shipping costs etc. So I go to EBay when the local company doesn't have what I want.
01-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
A little bit of everything. First of all, it's a new business dedicated to film. Secondly, it's a small local company. Thirdly, while it's no competition to the giants like Amazon, I'd rather support competition whatever it is.

When it comes to EBay, I find buying film there is less satisfying. There are more parameters to consider, as I have to make sure the film is not expired (unless I want expired film), then the price is not always evident at first glance. Lots have different number of rolls, different shipping costs etc. So I go to EBay when the local company doesn't have what I want.
Makes sense. eBay does seem to be the easiest place to buy bricks of 10+ rolls of film, but yeah, they also have major choice paralysis issues.