Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A wonderful find... I just wanted to share.

I was walking around an "organised garage sales" (I don't know how to call these in English...) when I notice a shoebox with a couple of photo items in it. First I see three 49 mm filters (red, yellow, polarizer). There is a rectangular case, I pick it up and reads Pentax. I open it, it's an AF280T flash. I think "if this is cheap, I can use it in Auto mode to get more light from my K20D. I'll have to experiment, but who knows?"

Then I notice a camera wrapped in a leather case. I open the case, it's a Super Program, and mounted on it is a Pentax-A 50 mm f1,4.

I innocently ask the seller how much for the camera, and he answers "I dropped film to go electronic (his words). It's 10$ for the whole box".

You're supposed to barter in these events, but I just couldn't.

So for 10$ I got a mint A-50 mm f1,4, a Super program also mint, a flash, three filters, and the manuals. Oh, and a TV remote that got in there somehow...

I almost feel like I cheated the fellow.

Last edited by bdery; 09-05-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo
09-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Congrats, I know how you feel. I also had the same on a Dutch flea market where I found a large box full with all sorts of cameras and lenses. The seller wanted $75 for it.

When I came home, the box contained more than I'd hoped for. I managed to resell most of the contents for $700 and kept a few goodies for myself.

What was in the box? Several Russian rangefinders and Russian lenses, and also a black Pentax ME Super with some lenses you don't see everyday. I kept the SMC Pentax-M 35mm f/2 and the 40mm f/2.8 and there was enough money left to buy myself a SMC Pentax-F* 300mm f/4.5 ED [IF]
09-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would have paid him the money then said, "Hey, I can't tell you how happy this makes me. The lens alone is worth over $100."

You think maybe he was one of those guys who doesn't even know the lenses can be removed from the cameras?
09-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats, that's quite a bargain !!

09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Igilligan

I got one for you

First off you did not cheat him at all, since he thought he got what he wanted for it. Now if it was a teenage girl and she was sitting there while Dad was taking a break that would be different. (Lost all my Picture Sleeve 45's one summer when my sister and her friend had a 'garage' sale while I was gone)

You really scored on that one... That A 50 1.4 is a sweet lens and we all know about that camera... Lucky you....

Now my story. My Friend and I went to an Estate sale in SF... One of those where a private company comes in a sells away everything the family does not want. It was in one of the more expensive parts of town... My buddy finds an old Art Deco-ish pencil sharpener mounted on a work bench in the garage. It was like the winding ones we had in school only designed really well and made from artsy looking metal... He offered the guy 5 bucks for it.

A few days later he calls and said that when he took the part that catches the pencil shavings off to clean it up, he found $600 dollars crammed inside...

No telling where else money had been stashed in that garage....

Last edited by Igilligan; 09-01-2008 at 11:36 AM.
09-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Super Program that I bought in the early 80's and am about to have it CLA'd so that I can satisfy my urge to shoot some 35mm film. Great camera, but I found that holding it was uncomfortable for me (maybe too small) until I mounted a power winder on it. It was small enough with the winder to not be a hassle and felt perfect. I'm sure that you can find one of the winders at KEH or Ebay if you want to go that route. It's also fun to shoot with.

A few years back, my daughter was killing time at a thrift shop near where she had an appointment and found a never used Minox, in the original box for some crazy low price. Needless to say, it now resides in her collection.
09-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, what a find. I have been looking for a nice Super Program.

Glen

Last edited by zx-m; 09-01-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You think maybe he was one of those guys who doesn't even know the lenses can be removed from the cameras?
Maybe. He didn't have any other lenses (I didn't want to ask if he had any stowed away, or he could have started to suspect something was amiss for him). The camera was in a fitted leather bag, and I'm almost sure the lens had never been removed.

QuoteQuote:
First off you did not cheat him at all, since he thought he got what he wanted for it. Now if it was a teenage girl and she was sitting there while Dad was taking a break that would be different. (Lost all my Picture Sleeve 45's one summer when my sister and her friend had a 'garage' sale while I was gone)
I know it's not cheating, and it was the original owner allright. But I felt both extatic and a little wicked...

QuoteQuote:
A few days later he calls and said that when he took the part that catches the pencil shavings off to clean it up, he found $600 dollars crammed inside...
Who would hide money there, I wonder...

QuoteQuote:
Great camera, but I found that holding it was uncomfortable for me (maybe too small) until I mounted a power winder on it. It was small enough with the winder to not be a hassle and felt perfect. I'm sure that you can find one of the winders at KEH or Ebay if you want to go that route. It's also fun to shoot with.
With the leather case (the kind with the removable front, while the back stays in place) it's quite confortable. It currently sits next to my ME Super, but I think I'm going to sell both, as I really don't use film. I could keep one to go in my small "collection" (currently I only have a Kodak Brownie junior and the Pentax, plus modern bodies).

There were quite a few Brownies in that flea market.

09-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Why does this never happen to me

My lucky dip boxes always come up full of bricks
09-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Why does this never happen to me

My lucky dip boxes always come up full of bricks
Do you sometimes visit flea markets? That's a good place to start.

The one I visited is organized by the city, and is held every Sunday during summer. It's really a huge thing (for us at least). It took me an hour to see every table, and I was only looking for photographic equipment. I saw a K1000 with a SMC-M 50 mm f2, but I already have that lens and the camera was in average shape. I also saw a lot of Minolta stuff, more than I would have expected, enough to satisfy many Sony fans I suspect. The only other Pentax gear I saw, I bought...

I'm thinking of visiting a Pawn Shop some day, but without knowing why, I don't really like those places. Maybe the risk of purchasing stolen gear bothers me...

Anyway, the lens is a wonderful tool, and I'm learning to use the flash, which is easier than I would have thought. By purchasing new equivalents (FA50 and say a Sigma flash) I would have gained autofocus and P-TTl, but it would have cost me around 450$... so I'm a happy camper
09-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
Inactive Account

a low budget collection

I've been building a collection for the past few years - exclusively from either thrift stores, or garage sale finds.

The best one I think, so far, was a Voigtlander Bessa II for $25, but the Rollei 35's probably a close second.

Asahi Pentax S - $40
Pentax Auto 110 with two lenses - $40
Voiglander Bessa II - $25
Rollei 35 - $14
Tessina L with daytime film loader - $50
Minolta Autocord LMX - free
Exakta VX II - $15
Zorki 4 - $25
Zeiss Contaflex with three lenses - free
Olympus XAs (XA, XA4 Macro, XA2, XA2) - XA4 was $8, XA was one dollar, XA2s (with flashes) were around $5
Kodak Stereo - $20
Kodak Retina IIS - $15
Kodak Vest Pocket - can't remember
Kodak Panoram
Mamiya Magazine 35 - $20
Voigtlander Bessa 46 - $10

The whole works, for less than $300. I've also managed to score a pretty impressive collection of watches, from the same places. A few Rolexes, a couple Omegas, a couple vintage Chronographs. Of course, this took a lot of looking, with "finds" like this only coming up once in a while. But worth it. Definitely an addiction.
09-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Of course, this took a lot of looking, with "finds" like this only coming up once in a while. But worth it. Definitely an addiction.
for me it was a first time, and I feel like I hit the jackpot. I did not expect anything for the flash, but I've been playing with it and it WILL be useful. This could indeed become very addictive, especially when it costs next to nothing. I don't plan to start a collection, though (except maybe for lenses? nah, the wife wouldn't have it...) If I can finance my purchases by selling the unwanted stuff, though, this could become quite lucrative :P

By the way, impressive collection Quanto.
09-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #13
Syb
Site Supporter

I try this all the time.

Unfortunately all my pencil sharpeners and shoe boxes were filled with nothing at best.

So now I am looking for storage room.

Syb

BTW: Anyone care to buy a shoe box? Won't tell you what's inside. But is certainly is not worth what you're paying!
09-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks. Unfortunately, many of these will be merely on display - once I find a suitable display case - because getting film for them, and finding somewhere to develop the film, is difficult or impossible where I live. It's getting pretty difficult to even get anything other than 35mm now, let alone find a place that develops it. Sad, when you consider the capabilities of some of these cameras. The Bessa II is supposed to be one of the best vintage MFs ever built. Same with the Autocord. I'd love to do some stereo photography - but how do I get it developed? Unless I'm able to find space for a darkroom (and learn how to use it), the cost of film and developing is nearly prohibitive. I'd love to do some stereo photography and try out the half-frame Tessina L - but how do I get it developed?
09-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

With 120 film, ask around at minilabs. It turns out that my local MotoPhoto will "develop only" 120. Then all you need to do is scan.

You may also get cheap development via mail, e.g. Dwayne's Photo in the US is very reasonable and fast.

Mail-order the film also, or get recently expired film cheap via ebay. I did so and the Fuji film I got works fine.

For traditional B&W, it is easy to set yourself up to develop only - you need a tank, some chemicals, and a dark place to load the reel.

The Bessa II is nice indeed - which lens does yours have? I've found the Skopars excellent. The Bessa 46 if it has a Skopar will do great. The Autocord too should make fine photos.