Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax KX motor drive body on eBay

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Rare body on the bay.Not mine or affiliated in any way.Pentax KXMD body in box, instructions, more. Motor Drive KX | eBay

02-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff, don't see those everyday!

Phil.
02-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Didn't know a KX MD Existed !

I have just checked in Danilo Cecchi's book and he says : "... the KX came in a special version, with the base modified to take a motor and with the facility for using a data back. The modified KX motor drive version remained in the realm of intentions."

I'm puzzled as to what Cecchi is saying, as his two sentences seem to contradict each other. Is he saying that the MD version of the camera was made (as shown in the ebay pictures), but not the drive (which the ebay pictures do not show - except in a picture on some paperwork)? The motor drive shown in the paperwork picture, and its pistol-grip, look very similar to that of the LX (but not like that of the K2 DMD, which had a hand grip on the right I believe)

It is worrying that the ebay advert does not show a picture of the MD, and it is not 100% clear that it is included in the sale (if such a drive even existed), although a "Motor Drive" box is shown, and if so whether it includes the probably separate pistol grip*. If it is, maybe the ebay one was a prototype. I would certainly get clarification from the seller beforehand if I were to bid.

From the ebay ad : "This is an Pentax LX without the changeable viewfinders and screens, almost." Makes a change from Pentax film cameras on ebay being described as "Like a K1000"!

* I am guessing that the pistol grip / battery holder was the same for the K2 DMD, the LX and the KX. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 02-12-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Clarity
02-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The drive does exist.Here's one with the bulk back also.Pentax KX Motor Drive with bulk film back &... - nedkelly69's Album: Pentax collection - PentaxForums.com

02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Interesting. Nedkelly's picture shows a MD and pistol grip with some apparent detailed differences from the paperwork picture with the ebay item - most obviously that the top and bottom plates of the MD are chrome rather than black. In either case I think after all that the pistol grip is not related to that of the K2 DMD which according to a picture I have is identical to that of the LX. Perhaps the KX MD and grip were more derived from those of the Spotmatic?
02-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was also a KM motor drive and both the KX & KM used the same MD II. Which probably is similar to the Spotmati MD.

Phil.
02-13-2018, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #7

The Pentax Motor-Drive System fit the motor drive Spotmatics, ES II, KX, and KM cameras. There were two different drive systems. One with a 2-contact battery grip and a 3-contact camera connector, the other with a 3-contact battery grip and a 4-contact camera connector. The 4-contact motor was for the ES II and would turn on the camera meter with a half-press on the battery grip switch. The K2DMD used a different motor drive but could use the Battery Grip M from the MX Motor Drive.

Attached Images

Last edited by turbof; 02-13-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added photo
02-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Danilo Cecchi's book and he says : "... the KX came in a special version, with the base modified to take a motor ..."
Does this mean that only the base plate was modded, as in, drill a couple of holes and the KX can accomodate a motor drive, or are there internal mechanical differences as well?
02-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have just checked in Danilo Cecchi's book and he says : "... the KX came in a special version, with the base modified to take a motor and with the facility for using a data back. The modified KX motor drive version remained in the realm of intentions."

I'm puzzled as to what Cecchi is saying, as his two sentences seem to contradict each other. Is he saying that the MD version of the camera was made (as shown in the ebay pictures), but not the drive (which the ebay pictures do not show - except in a picture on some paperwork)? The motor drive shown in the paperwork picture, and its pistol-grip, look very similar to that of the LX (but not like that of the K2 DMD, which had a hand grip on the right I believe)
IIRC Cecchi's book was translated from Italian to English, it may be that some details have become lost in translation.
02-14-2018, 02:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by turbof Quote
The Pentax Motor-Drive System fit the motor drive Spotmatics, ES II, KX, and KM cameras. There were two different drive systems. One with a 2-contact battery grip and a 3-contact camera connector, the other with a 3-contact battery grip and a 4-contact camera connector. The 4-contact motor was for the ES II and would turn on the camera meter with a half-press on the battery grip switch. The K2DMD used a different motor drive but could use the Battery Grip M from the MX Motor Drive.
That's quite a collection. I only have the LX motordrive. K.
02-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They're an interesting curiosity, but not really a true motor drive.

That's an awful lot of hardware for an anemic 2 frames per second.
By the mid-1970's Canon and others introduced compact inexpensive
power winders that could equal that and fit all their new models.

Later the MX and LX did offer true motor drives capable of 5 fps.

Chris
02-15-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This Spotmatic MD outfit has been on the Leica Shop website for a few years now and only 1800 Euros!

Pentax Spotmatic-motor-drive-outfit

Phil.
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it from your collection? Seeing a KM MD is really rear.

Thanks
02-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Is it from your collection? Seeing a KM MD is really rear.

Thanks
Yes. It was odd that Pentax made a KM Motor body. It was one of their low end cameras, basically a K1000 with self-timer and DOF preview.
02-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. It was odd that Pentax made a KM Motor body. It was one of their low end cameras, basically a K1000 with self-timer and DOF preview.

Actually the reverse is true. The K1000 was introduced later and was a budget version of the KM with those features deleted.

Chris